Discworld??

Started by , Sun 04/07/2004 23:06:14

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeybadger

Hiya all. Just found this site and home of the underdogs too. Great that you can still download all these great games. Wondering whether to bother with discworld? I've played discworld noir but not the others. I'm a great fan of lucasarts point and click as well as BaSS, FotAQ, BSword etc. Got into point and click on my trusty Amiga 500+ in the nineties. Is discworld worth playing? Also can any one reccommend any othet great games I should download??
Cheers!
;D

Chicky

download discworld, its brilliant. Noir is in a completely different style to DW1 and 2 imo a worse style.

oh yeh, welcome to the forums :)

monkeybadger

cheers!! also I've been searching the internet for a version of indy and the last crusade. I've only had a play on it once years ago, can't find it anywhere now. Any ideas?

MrColossal

Buy it.

Check ebay, very cheap.

Though I don't recommend Discworld 1... or 2 really... and 3 is kinda blah so far...

god eric! what adventure games DO you like?!
eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Well, the plot and characters and sheer humour of Discworld is legendary. ANd it found its way into the games, too.

That said, DW1 has VERY unfair puzzles and very little feedback for the many, many, MANY items you have to use in slightly "strange" ways. I mean, how many times can you hear Eric Idle say "That doesn't work" for something that SHOULD, and not even know why it doesn't?

DW2 is WAY better as an adventure game. Unfortunately, it's also very, very easy. Still fun, though. Possibly the best of the series, in terms of gameplay.

NOIR is quite controversial. I find it to be the best one in terms of plot and sheer humour, but there are many things which could have been improved, mostly in terms of engine. Play it, you'll know what I mean. It's hard to build up an atmosphere for a climatic moment when all the preparation dialogue for that moment sounds just like any other piece of dialogue, know what I mean?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Ali

Discworld 1 is a very good game, marred with severe problems that get worse as the game goes on. I just finished replaying it yesterday and to some extent it was more fuss than it was worth. If you do buy a second hand copy, make sure its the most recent version the earliest (mine) has a gigantic bug at the end of the game.

I think Discworld 2 is great though, but far more object-oriented than Noir.

remixor

Discworld 1 and 2 were very traditional (and fairly unremarkable) point and clicks for me, but some people really dug them.  Not my thing.

Discworld Noir is one of my favorite adventures, though.  Great atmosphere with a darker take on the Discworld universe.  I feel the writing is much better and it uses kind of a cool clue-based inventory/dialogue system.  I highly recommend it.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Rincewind

I love them all. And that's not only because they were my first adventure games I played, and because I'm a total Pratchett-fanatic. I actually still find a huge pleasure in playing them... :)
Ã, 
Noir is the best, in my opinion, DW2 comes in a close second, and DW1 was probably the "worst"... 

monkeybadger

cheers all! already have discworld noir and have played it. thought it was great fun. i'm one of those people who prefers the traditional point and click(e.g monkey island, beneath steel sky), may have a bash on those other discworld games to see what they're like. thanks for all the advice!! ;D

PeteRenton

mr redrum? your wee quote thing from donie darko.. is that when he is talking in the auditorium to jim c? ive never worked out what he says there...
Caveat Emptor to all who enter here...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Something like, "Yeah, you're right, I'm really confused and would really like some help, but I think you're the fucking Antichrist." It's not this wexact wording (except for the Antichrist bit), but that's the message.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk