Day of Darkness

Started by pmprog, Thu 04/11/2004 20:19:12

Previous topic - Next topic

pmprog

My first game, and very small.

Breif overview:
You come out of a pub one night, and get kidnapped, and awake in a cellar. You objective is to escape.

http://www.pmprog.co.uk/cgi-bin/dl.pl?file=dayodark.rar

Most of the graphics were drawn by myself (so they're pretty naff), should provide you with some small amusement though.

Feedback on the GUI would be appreciated.

Thanks

Candle

I like the Char's and their walk cycle but it is so dark I can't see to play .
So didn't go far in it .

pmprog

Outside the cellar is brighter. It was designed to be dark, but I tested it on several machines to make sure there was enough brightness to get the idea of the surroundings, and Jo (my play tester) thought it was okay. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Thanks for looking tho

simian

How do you use things in your inventory?
When I click on them he just says "let's don't and say we did".

pmprog

Click on the Hand icon, then on the inventory, then on what you want to use the inventory on

Quote from: simian on Sat 06/11/2004 09:45:32
How do you use things in your inventory?
When I click on them he just says "let's don't and say we did".

Ieremiou

Hey, I'm stuck, and I don't see anything obvious or haven't tried anything but here's where I'm at.

Spoiler

I got out of the basement, tricked the tripwire and the doorlock...(was easy once I found the tripwire)
Then I got a beer and filled the empty glass on the counter and then spiked it with the cleaner...
I also filled the glass I have with water..
I tried to pick up the spiked beer but nothing happens...
Also when I look at the spiked beer it says the glass is empty...
A bug? or am I missing something?
[close]

Btw, this game would be a lot more fun with a little atmospheric music. :P (my opinion)

Ah, figured it out... wasn't as "unobvious" as I'd thought... hehe
I don't want to spoil the solution unless somebody asks for it.
Ieremiou
-----------

Love of Adventure games everywhere :)

pmprog

Quote from: Ieremiou on Sat 13/11/2004 08:08:34
Btw, this game would be a lot more fun with a little atmospheric music. :P (my opinion)
Yeah, forgot about the music.

Quote from: Ieremiou on Sat 13/11/2004 08:08:34
Ah, figured it out... wasn't as "unobvious" as I'd thought... hehe
I don't want to spoil the solution unless somebody asks for it.
Cool! While it's not totally obvious, it is sensible, but I wasn't sure it would work. Glad to know it wasn't out of bounds!

Thanks for playing it, and the feedback. BTW - What did you think of the interface? Did you find it difficult to use?

Regarding the "false" description, thanks for letting me know, didn't pick up on that. but I have found several other places where he doesn't say anything.

I'm currently designing the characters and story for my next game (Working title is "Larry Vs The FleshRippers" (see my avatar image)), which should hopefully have less errors, better graphics and include music

Ieremiou

The interface was a little annoying for at least one reason.
It was hard to tell which object you were using. Also it was hard to tell if you were using a different object unless you canceled (right-click) the current action and rechoose that action and then clicked on the new object.

Something like highlighting the object or something that would work with your interface would be helpful I think... :P.

Also one thing about your character I just realized... He had no Up or Down facing modes. He just has left and right modes so I could make him moon walk downwards or upwards while he's appearing to walk left or right. Kinda funny to see a man moonwalk sideways up some stairs. Hehe.
Ieremiou
-----------

Love of Adventure games everywhere :)

pmprog

Quote from: Ieremiou on Sat 13/11/2004 16:43:00
The interface was a little annoying for at least one reason.
It was hard to tell which object you were using. Also it was hard to tell if you were using a different object unless you canceled (right-click) the current action and rechoose that action and then clicked on the new object.

Something like highlighting the object or something that would work with your interface would be helpful I think... :P.

Thanks. I'll use that when making the next version

Quote from: Ieremiou on Sat 13/11/2004 16:43:00
Also one thing about your character I just realized... He had no Up or Down facing modes. He just has left and right modes so I could make him moon walk downwards or upwards while he's appearing to walk left or right. Kinda funny to see a man moonwalk sideways up some stairs. Hehe.

Yeah, I couldn't draw an up/down set of animations that I liked, so I skipped em ;-)

Thanks for the feedback

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk