Elixir Vitae

Started by Ashera, Thu 14/07/2005 05:46:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashera

The ancients always knew that Elixirs are the key to life. Elixirs can purify air and water, cure disease, and nourish the body. For a long time, only a select few knew the secret of making elixirs from precious orbs. It was a long process, and difficult to master. One day, someone discovered a way to extract the elixir ingredients directly from the orbs. It was easy and quick, although the orbs were destroyed in the process. Orbs were as yet plentiful, so the people embraced the new method whole-heartedly, and abandoned the old.

Centuries later, the world is in a crisis. Orbs are scarce and strictly rationed by the government. You take the role of Rosalind Warrick, a teenager whose parents were involved in elixir research -- and then arrested and imprisoned for "endangering elixir production". To get your parents back, you'll need to follow in their footsteps, and rediscover the ancient method of elixir production.

Some screenshots... (resized from 800x600 to 400x300 to be more web-friendly)

The main interface uses a verb-coin.

There's also a top menu bar with additional options, and a large inventory window with a spiffy scrollbar.

The PDA is an important part of the game. It's used to get from place to place.

The PDA also has a document browser containing bits of backstory and useful information. There's also a photo browser. (The document browser will be revamped to use images instead of text to get around the 200-character string limit, but that's a minor code change.)

The laboratory where your mother works

The museum where your father works

A puzzle where you try to make an elixir from orb gels (most puzzles are done in full-screen mode like this one)

Nobody has been here in a long, long time...

There are two of us working on the game. The other guy does mostly graphics stuff, although he's also done a lot of the walkable areas and scaling. He's also a little more involved in the story and puzzle design. I do interface design and lots and lots of scripting.

This is actually a summer job for me and my co-worker. I've been working on it since mid-May; he's been working since about November. The purpose of the game is to teach a certain aspect of biology using elixir production as a metaphor.

Update 2005-07-17

Unfortunately, the game wasn't finished by Friday afternoon. There was just too much for me to do, and no good way to split up the work. However, we're definitely further along than we used to be.

Story and Puzzles: 92%
Coding: 85%
Graphics: 92%
Sound/Music: 0% (will be included if there's time)

-Ashera

Disco

Intesting concept, and the art is splendid, but-  Is this an AGS game? Just curious, as I know resolution can be that high and you can generate 2d frames from 3d models, but the screenshots carry a certain non-AGS vibe :-\.

Gilbert

Why? The PDA screens at least, looked VERY AGSish.

And I think the prerendered characters blend well with the backgrounds, so they looks as if they're real 3D characters.

Nice job. :)

PsychicHeart

wow, those are some really nice screenies
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Ashera

Quote from: Disco on Thu 14/07/2005 06:11:13
Intesting concept, and the art is splendid, but-  Is this an AGS game? Just curious, as I know resolution can be that high and you can generate 2d frames from 3d models, but the screenshots carry a certain non-AGS vibe :-\.

It's an AGS game that uses pre-rendered 3D graphics. It's a bit more obvious when playing the game because the character can only face 8 directions and the shadow doesn't change with the room light source. ;) Underneath, it's still all objects, characters, and hotspots.

If I'd had a screenshot with the dialog interface it would have been obviously AGS... I haven't touched it at all.

And thanks for the compliments, guys!

Gregjazz

Quote from: Ashera on Thu 14/07/2005 05:46:56
The ancients always knew that Elixirs are the key to life. Elixirs can purify air and water, cure disease, and nourish the body.

As a bassist, I also understand the value and importance of Elixirs. Heheh, sorry, little musician joke. :P

Looks like a great game, keep up the good work!

Darth Mandarb

The game looks/sounds very interesting.

I like the look of the 3-D you've achieved.  Which is a statement coming from me!

I dig the concept of using the game to teach (if I read that right).  I've been a big fan of making games you can actually learn from since I was a kid.  As long as they're fun ;)

Keep up the good work and good luck!

CoffeeBob

Good gravy, those screens are nice! I like the sound of that story too. Hope to see this finished soon. :)

Mozesh

Looks & sound really good, keep it up!

JD

Yipes, normally I'm not a big fan of 3D (looking) adventure games but this looks really nice. The character blends in really well, and I hope it'll look even better in action :) Keep up the good work!

The Book

Execellent graphics - despite my doubts AGS still holds strong. Makes me feel ashamed of my own attempts.  :-[

rika

Wich modelling progam do you use? I use Blender... http://www.3dblender.org

Ashera

The artist uses Maya for the backdrops and whatnot, and Poser for the people.

rika

i don't know why, but this reminds me of Syberia...

simulacra

Very, very nice. I really enjoy what I have seen so far.

You should spend some time on the music as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk