The Keepers Of Knowledge - Part One Demo released

Started by tweety, Mon 12/07/2004 01:02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

tweety

UPDATE: June 14th

After some trouble with the scripting  :'(, I am proud to announce my first game (well, not the first one, but the first one to be finished  ;) )

SCREENSHOTS

STORY OUTLINE
Deep under the surface of the earth, a people lives in a city called Profundia. They have no idea that there is something like the surface, though... They just think the earth around them is endless...
But then Adon, a young apprentice in the guild of the Keepers of Knowledge (a kind of priests) discovers the truth... His master and the other guildmembers are taken to prison because they gave books to the people which is a serious crime down there... And Adon is on his own. But he manages (with your help) to find a secret way out of the city and back into the sunlight... But that is not the end - he still has to fight the evil Tyros, the ruler of Profundia, and set his people free and lead them to the surface.

PRODUCTION STATUS
Demo of Part One is available at
>>> http://www.nutzlos-aber-vorhanden.de/ags/KeepersOfKnowledge.zip
(about 2.2 MB)

Major work done - the game may still be buggy in one or two places, but I hope you can play it without trouble.
One of that bugs has already been discussed in the technical board, so the game might crash when you interact with some areas. This is caused by a bug in the editor, so that won't happen anymore as soon as the next version of the editor arrives...
Right now I recommend that you save frequently.
Some of the images are and will be still in a kind of draft status, because I had too many story ideas to integrate... in the final version, those will be replaced by the final images.
The translation work is done, too... Don't expect perfect English, but I think you will understand what is said, and for a demo that's the important thing...
So if you prefer the english version, just change that with the setup tool...

Enjoy the game and please share your impressions with me :)
there's no place like ~/

Secret Fawful

this game looks cool, can't wait for the demo ;D

Barbarian

Your game looks interesting.
I like the look of it so far.
Yes, I'd like to see an English version of it when you have it ready for release.

Best of luck with it.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

evilspacefart

nice concept. interesting look to it also. looking forward to it.

tweety

Okay, I'm already working out the translation - I don't know if it's going to be a good translation, but you should get the general meaning of the messages - or at least i hope so :)

*justhavingcoffeebreakandrelaxingmyfingers* :)
there's no place like ~/

The Book

Great story, great graphics.

tweety

The Demo of part one is available - see first entry for details.

Have fun with it :)
there's no place like ~/

Konador

The English translation is great, it all makes sense with very good grammer. I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't the original language of the game :) The graphics are also very good :)

A couple of things which I think could improve the demo:

Sync the walk speed with the animation speed. At the moment he looks like he is floating around.

Make walk the default action. Having to click on Walk all the time got a bit annoying, but that's just me being lazy, hehe.

When I click walk to some areas, he doesn't go there, he just stands there. Going to and from the cave of gatherers is where  I first noticed it. The walk behind of the top of the cave tunnel going into the cave of gatherers is also wrong.

These are the only things I've noticed so far, cos I've only been playing a few minutes. It looks like this is a very promising demo overall. The story sounds really good.

tweety

thanks, I thought that translation would lose some effect, since I didn't know some phrases, and there were german expressions that I had to leave out because they would have been nonsense in english ;)

Yes, I'll sync the character's speeds. right now, I was just too happy that part one was finished, so I left his speeds as they were.

The thing with the walk-to points of some areas has to do with that bug I mentioned. I left some of those walk-to-points out on purpose because if they existed, the game would crash if there was a click other than "walk-to" on that area... For more information, look for "Error two room changes when using regions" in the technical forum. But as soon as the corrected engine version is released, I'll create those walk-to points again and update that demo.

but thanks for your information
there's no place like ~/

prowler

also, you should make the dude walk up to the person he's supposed to speak to, instead of turning towards the camera (i think that's what he does)

i gave up on the demo because of a crash, but i'll be playing the final game

tweety

the game shouldn't crash if you just always use "Walk to" when entering a new room - the only exceptions are the smiths' place and the houses... there you'll have to "use" them...
but probably it's better to wait for the new engine version, you could lose some playing fun if you always have to be aware of your cursor mode  ::)
there's no place like ~/

deadsuperhero

The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk