Project Japan (BETADEMO!!!, read first post!)

Started by waffer, Tue 07/10/2003 19:57:06

Previous topic - Next topic

viktor

signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

waffer

Quote from: viktor on Thu 29/07/2004 20:20:03
Quote from: Barbarian on Thu 29/07/2004 10:53:07
Can't down-load the file, I get a "File does not exist" error.

me to.

Well, sorry about that, but my webhost (yes its a free webhost, so I shouldnt excpect anything more, i know) has decided to shut my account down for 24h because of to much traffic (FYI, they are going to shut down my account for good in some weeks because of to little traffic ^^) but it would be up for download again later today or tomorrow

Barbarian

Okay. I managed to get a download of it this time.

First impressions: I don't like that you have it bundled in a forced installer program. Kind of made me nervous. Also, doing it that way doesn't allow me to access the Windows Setup program if I wanted to change any settings for the game. Really, I think AGSers would appreciate more if your games files was Zipped and wasn't bundled with a forced installer.

Okay, so I find the game directory then run the program. It starts of a with a couple minutes of text with the opening story? There's no appearant way to skip this, so, each time the game is started, I need to wait for a couple of minutes before I can access anything.

Some other comments I'll put in hidden text:

Spoiler
I tried talking to the bird. So, the bird has a big conversation with me, calls me something like a smart-ass, then turns into a giant? I don't really understand what the heck all that was about, especially if this game is supposed to be a History-based type game? I guess you guys were trying to throw that strange bit in for some kind of wierd humor effect?

So, going to pick some berries, I meet the Samurai? by his horse. I find out the Samurai is hungry and wants some food before he'll talk to me more. Anyways, when I tried to look at the Samurai, I get a game crash, something about "Invalid Message number 79" or somesuch.

The walking speed of the character is painfully slow. There's no kind of indication of things that I'm able to actually able to have any kind of interactions with, it's more like a guessing game I what I can actually do anything with. As far as I can tell, there's only 2 rooms/areas that I'm able to explore. Of course, after a few failed attempts of sitting through the un-skipable starting text, and the game repeatedly crashing on me when trying any interactions with the Samurai and his Horse, for the moment this adds to the frustration level of the game. From what I can tell, the game demo takes up about 16MB of disk space, and as it stands right now with all of the problems I mentioned, it hardly seems to justify that.
[close]

I'm sorry if I seemed harsh in my critisism. You guys looked like you did try and put some good effort into it, and it may prove to be in interesting story/game with some more work. I love Asian History and culture, and from what you described about your game before I was looking forwards to see it in action, but, I guess the demo you've released thus so far was a bit of a dissapointment in a few ways for me.

Please don't think I'm attacking your hard work or ideas. I'd really like to see you guys do wonderful with your project. Take or throw away any of my comments as you wish. Ultimately, the project is yours and should take shape of the vision of what you guys intended it to be. I wish you all the best, and if/when you do have a completed game version, I might like to see it then.Ã,  *Salutes*
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

waffer

Hi Barbarian, no offense taken ;)

I understand that a install program make you nervous, could have installed anything, but I promise I didnt put anything bad in there ;) The problem with the winsetup is that I just renamed the demo executable to Project Japan.exe. Just rename it to Demo.exe and it would work (play the game in 640*480). And of course, you should be able to skip the intro.

Lets get on to that bird then, this was, as you said, just a crazy idé. Did you manage to read everything that the bird said? if you did, then maybe we should have tried to make a completly serious game, and if you didnt then maybe the "fun" part wont be so fun anyway ;)

I got the same error as you with the samurai so theres a bug.

The demo was very buggy and we knew that (thats why its called a beta-demo ^^) we released it because we knew there was a chance that we would never work on it again and we just wanted some comments on it.

But as I said, no offense taken, I just think its cool to have some comments on the game.  The game will probably never be released as the the others are doing there military service and I dont really have any inspiration to continue on my own.

But it was fun working with the game, as I wrote in the first post it was a school project. Of course the goal wasnt to make a game but to learn how to work as a group and how to work with projects. I think I have learned some things that can be usefull in the future. You might wonder why there wasnt more than 2 scenes in the demo (actually we had more, but not that playable :P) when we had 1 whole year to work on it. Well, what can I say? ;) One reason why, was that we couldnt work with it at school. This was due to lack of time and computer problems, as restrictions of for example wich files we could download. So all the work on the game had to be done at home. So what happens then, when 4 young men gets to work with something at home in front of the computer, well you have probably guessed right, nothing :P We didnt make much progress until after christmas when we got together and worked over a weekend. During this time we got a lot of work done, but after that we had a hard time to find another date when we all could come together again.

nah, now I'm too tired to write more, maybe another day.

Borish da second

Tjena, behöver ni hjälp me nåt? Ja kan alltid beta testa eller göra hemsidan...

For those who didnt understand me:

Hi, do you need help with anything? I can always beta test or do the site...

waffer

Quote from: Borish da second on Sat 31/07/2004 08:28:14
Tjena, behöver ni hjälp me nåt? Ja kan alltid beta testa eller göra hemsidan...

For those who didnt understand me:

Hi, do you need help with anything? I can always beta test or do the site...

Tjena Borish, tack föare erbjudandet men som jag skrivit tidigare så äare det ingen som jobbar med spelet längre pga att 3/4 av gruppen äare i lumpen och själv har jag ingen inspiration att jobba med det själv. Men tack ändå.

Hi Borish, thanks for the offer but as I wrote earlier there is no one working on the game because 3/4 of the team is doing their military service and I dont have any inspiration to work on it by myself. But thanks anyway.

Borish da second

Förlåt, såg inte de, läste typ inte hela tråden :P

Sorry, didn't see that, didn't really read the whole thread :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk