Force majeure 2: The Zone (Released)

Started by simulacra, Sat 24/07/2004 17:44:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazy Z

For some weird reason, I hadn't posted in this thread even though I've been meaning to do so for a while now. In any case, your game sounds (and looks, for that matter!) absolutely fantastic! The mere mention of music influenced by Akira Yamaoka is enough for me, but everything else (graphics, story) sound fantastic too. So, yeah, looking forward to the complete game!

By the by, oneironaut huh? Cool! On a side note, one thing I've always wondered is how that word is pronounced in English. :P
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

simulacra

Why thank you for the encouraging feedback. I get sort of nervous that I won't please your high expectations, but I guess that is the way of things. Well, I will just keep working then and keep you updated on what happens.

Neil Dnuma

I love the music, esp. "Brain-in-a-vat theory". Reminds me a lot of Arvo Pärt. You weren't by a chance inspired by his "Alina"?

If the mood of this tune and the Stalker-esque pictures is carried properly by the actual game, it's gonna be really good. :)

simulacra

Indeed I am - it is a remix of 'Alina' by Arwo Pärt. You are the first person to recognise it, actually.

simulacra

I have decided to postpone the release of the Zone for a while. This is for a number of reasons. First and most important is that I have expanded the original storyline, which makes production take longer. Also, I have gotten a full-time job as a game designer at a research studio, as it happens. I will have to leave Stockholm for a month and work in the medival city of Visby at Gotland. During this period, I will probably have little time to work on my own projects. This does not mean that the project will be abandoned, just that I'll wait with a release until the stars are right.

Meanwhile, I'll give you some new goodies and news tidbits. I have introduced a new character: the psychogeographer. Those of you who know about the situationists will know what this guy is up to.

I have also decided that the ending of the game will something that you never have seen before in an adventure game. I am reluctant to reveal too many details that would spoil it, but I can say that there will be an 'out-of-game experience' that will take, you, the player on a trip that leaves the screen and is a true implementation of first-person gaming. The ending sequence will include a relatively unknown form of psychoactive sound programming to achieve this effect. I hope you will enjoy it.

Three new tracks have been released: Dreaming in colour (music for the Oneironaut plot), The Force majeure Theme (title music) and For Tzara (music for the ruin exploration sequence). Visit the game web site to download these tracks.

http://interactingarts.org/thezone/downloads.html

simulacra

Hi again.

I am back from the Trans-Reality Game Laboratory for a brief visit in my home town, Stockholm. I just wanted to pop by and say something about the intro, which is about finished. There will be a 3 minute long introductions sequence with a dirty look in glorious tainted sepia. The music is finished along with most of the graphics, which combines still images with live footage. Can't wait to post a preview as soon as it is done.

polski

I've been watching this thread for some time now and sorry for being so lazy and not posting earlierÃ,  :-[. This is definitely a game I'm looking forward to, I like the huge atmosphere the garphics and the music create and the story is very interesting. I can't wait for this to be finished.

simulacra

That is great to hear! I will keep you posted on what is happening. New for february is that I am about to meet a publisher to discuss matters... exciting!

EDIT: Also, a look at current file sizes indicated that estimated size of the finished game will be around 200-250 Mb. Lots of detailed graphics, music and video footage!

Reptile

I bet this game will win a couple of awards. It looks fantastic, the best thing since Kings Quest 2 VGA.  ;)
(Signature removed due to violation of image size rules).

simulacra

Had a meeting yesterday with a publisher and it seems we have a deal. There are still some details to work out. If everything works according to plan, there will be a release in late September.

I am kind of astonished by this, really. Seems like there is a market for esoteric interactive stories after all. Wow.

EDIT: I lost a tape with footage for the intro and will have to redo some stuff. Not a disaster, but still annoying... I would be nice to be able to make a trailer out of it.

simulacra

Verkligheter is looking for dedicated testers for test runs during June and July for bug hunting and specific feedback. Testers will get free copies of the finished product.

Visit project homepage for more information.

simulacra

I have released a teaser trailer for the project.

Force majeure II: The Zone

Mozesh

Nice teaser there man, it has a really creepy feeling to it.
I really love these kind of teasers!

simulacra

Why, thank you. It's a bit obscure but so is the game.

simulacra

Tomorrow we are going to take the final footage for the Zone. There are going to be some still images of a tunnel lurker armed with vintage 19th century revolvers and film footage of people in white suits performing a ritual of sorts. We are also goin to shoot the final 30 seconds of the intro sequence. Very exciting!

The Ivy

Congrats on a great-looking game, simulacra.  I really look forward to the "psychological thriller" side of the story.  To do a game with depth isn't easy, but everything you've posted here indicates you've got it nailed.  Looking forward to its release, and good luck with your little ritual.   ;)

simulacra

The ritual was alright. Now for the scariest part: the release of the first beta for the testing crew. After working on this for two years, it's pretty horrifying to see the first actual reactions... ahh.

JD

Usually I dont like first person adventures much, but this looks really great. It has lots of atmosphere, can't wait to play it. Keep it up!

simulacra

Here's a new screenshot from the last photo shoot. We decided to go with a bridge instead of the tunnel.

A dangerous Zone dweller

simulacra

Well, the project has been released!

Have a look at the brand new web site: http://interactingarts.org/thezone/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk