August MAGS

Started by SierraFreak, Mon 02/08/2004 01:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

SierraFreak

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first attempt at directing other people to make a game, but I'm hoping that this will be a fun idea.Ã,  So this month's theme will be:

DESTRUCTION!

The game can be about anything you want, but I'd like the games to feature animations of stuff getting broken.Ã,  How about a bull in a china shop?Ã,  Maybe have a guy trying to escape from a building getting destroyed by a wrecking ball?Ã,  Or a scene at a demolition derby?Ã,  No, wait - that was done in Full Throttle already.Ã,  But you get the idea.

I'd like to see some cool animations this month.Ã,  As usual, graphical talent isn't as important as ingenuity and fun.Ã,  Let's just tear some stuff up.

Colors: any
Resolution: any
Inventory Items: any

---------------------------------------------------------------

All entries need to be in on August 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Barbarian

Sounds good and it should lead to some fun entries.

A couple of questions:

Ã,  Ã, If I've already been working on a not-yet-released game for a while, but it wasn't specifically made for a MAGS competition though...Ã,  however, if the game already contains the requirements of that month's MAGS rules (or the requirements could be added to the game), then could I still submit it as a MAGS entry?

Ã,  The game I've been working on, I was already planning on having a couple of "destruction" type of scenes in it... one scene may just be on a smaller-scale of destruction, and another scene I was thinking on a larger-scale of destruction. Also, doing (or not doing) some things may also lead to some other "destruction" type of results too.Ã,  When submitting screen-shots as you suggested, would you prefer screen-shots of the "destruction" scenes?

And just to let you know, in some of the scenes in my game, it may be an NPC causing the destruction, and in other scenes, the Player Character may be the cause of the destruction.

Ã,  Ã, Okay, I'll be working hard on getting my game released soon, and if it's ready on time and meets the requirements I may submit it as a MAGS entry too.Ã,  Ã, ;D

PS: Just wanted to mention, the main "villian" NPC in my game is an evil wizard who calls himself "Sedus the Destroyer". And in fact that's the name I chose for him a while ago.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

viktor

cool. I'm going to enter. I'm not that good at animating but I'll come up with something...
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Klaus

Quote from: SierraFreak on Mon 02/08/2004 01:45:36
This is my first attempt at directing other people to make a game, but I'm hoping that this will be a fun idea.Ã,  So this month's theme will be: DESTRUCTION!
Ouch. So you posted new rules without a pre-checkÃ,  :o You should have better read the last line of the "Congratulations" PM you received after the voting...
Well, so now it's like that and I think we can go along with these rules, even if they are a little "thin". Also I'm not sure if anyone will come along with this theme in a "correct" way. But let's give it a try.

Quote from: Barbarian on Mon 02/08/2004 03:05:21
If I've already been working on a not-yet-released game ... then could I still submit it as a MAGS entry?
Actually you should make the whole game withing the given time limit. So it wouldn't be really fair to publish a game you might have already worked on "for years" (sure it won't be taht long). But actually noone can prove when you made this game. So think for yourself...

Quote from: Barbarian on Mon 02/08/2004 03:05:21
... would you prefer screen-shots of the "destruction" scenes?
The screenshots on this thread are mainly to make it easier to grab a picture for the MAGS site. So you can post whatever screenshot you want to. Of course the shots also promote your game but for doing this you can also post to the "Completed Game Announcements" forums.

Barbarian

Actually you should make the whole game withing the given time limit. So it wouldn't be really fair to publish a game you might have already worked on "for years" (sure it won't be taht long). But actually noone can prove when you made this game. So think for yourself...

Thanks for clearifying that Klaus. I'm still a bit of a "newbie" in some respects here, and of course I wanted to be fair, that's why I asked about that first.

Okay, so if I did make a game for the MAGS, then I will start on something new and not use an "already-in-production" game.

Good luck to all members entering.  :)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Remco

i think i am going to enter this month, destruction, hmm, sounds ok with me.
There is only 1 entertainer, the Q entertainer!

Czar

Well, you'll have inspiration, now with this Paraguay mall centre incident. :(
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Remco

yes, i have heard about it. But i dont think it will be a nice game.
There is only 1 entertainer, the Q entertainer!

SierraFreak

Klaus,

You're right, I should have read the last part of the PM more carefully, and I'm sorry for overstepping my bounds.  I just got a little overexcited about winning, I guess.  Thanks for understanding.

What I'm hoping this month is that people will make some cool animations.  Nothing is more rewarding than when you complete a puzzle and get to watch something fun.  It was mentioned in one of the puzzle design essays that I read somewhere.

By the way - what is your avatar?  It looks so familiar, but I can't figure it out.

Mephistophilis

Max "Will it involve Wanton destruction?"
Sam "We can only hope."
Not accurate but i don't care.
24 days to Destuct a Masterpiece, worth a shot.
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

Akumayo

I shall enter this one!!!  Destruction.... It kind of works for me......  by the way, are there any limits at all???
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

Mephistophilis

Nope... just has to Be Destructive!
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

Akumayo

auhsor

Quote from: SierraFreak on Mon 02/08/2004 01:45:36
What is MAGS?
For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

It would be nice to have the link to thins site in the first post instead of having to go through Klaus's sig. Just so people know where to go for more info :)

Klaus

Quote from: auhsor on Thu 05/08/2004 14:25:13
It would be nice to have the link to thins site in the first post instead of having to go through Klaus's sig. Just so people know where to go for more info :)
Quite correct and it would be there if I'd have started this thread as usual... But as SierraFreak "got a little overexcited about winning" (see above) things are a little different this time. ;) Sorry...

SierraFreak

I modded the original post and added a link in the MAGS website mention.  Sorry 'bout that!   ;D

viktor

Ok this is probably realy noobish of me but my entry is actualy finished. Although I was in a hurry I am quite pleased. But there is only one problem not all to many things get broken in the game. But don't worry things still go how do you say...
...KABLOEE ;D (You'll understand after you finish the game) The reason for my quick finish is that I'm leaving next week for a week long journey and I started work on the project right away. But not even myself expected that I'll finish the game so quickly.
Well anyway here's the link:
www.slomskov-zavod.si/~kingofrock/JHBD.zip

EDIT: damn sorry I forgot to post the screenshot. Sorry
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

ghostface

Okay...first things first...victor...sweet screen...downloading game now...and I wouldn't consider you a n00b...not with all the posts you make. That was pretty quick to get a game out with graphics that clean andÃ,  :o. Looking for more games from you.

And SierraFreak...who are you referring to for the avatar question? If it is

Mephistophilis-Rockstar Games logo-GTA 3, Vice City, Manhunt, ring any bells?
Klaus-I believe thats Max Payne layered on a kickass background.
Czar-Alf of course!

P.S.-good idea with the destruction theme.
"I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory. Lasts forever."

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

SierraFreak

Ghost - I was referring to Klaus.  It looks so familiar.  I kind of thought it was Tex Murphy myself.

I'm glad you like the theme!  I'm hoping there are some cool special effects coming out of this competition.

Akumayo

Here it is!!!Ã,  My entry!!!!

(My Tripod account was terminated because I violated something or other.... so I'm on geocities now.....  Tell me if this one works please, I think it does!!!)

Download link:
http://www.geocities.com/liberationcompany/operationreddice.zip

Site Link:
http://www.geocities.com/liberationcompany/liberationcompany.html?1092532888374

Screenshot:

Vote for me!!!

Oh, and now the game features a special appearance by Roger for those who win the game!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk