New Herculean Effort website...

Started by Gregjazz, Mon 15/05/2006 05:21:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregjazz

Hey guys, just wanted to announce that we at Herculean Effort Productions just released our new website. We got a nice, short domain name, too:

http://www.herculeaneffort.com

Check it out!

I also set up a nifty new forum--which is SMF, just like this forum. I chose to switch to SMF over phpBB because I was getting a LOT of spammers and profile spammers on the old forum every day. The interface for phpBB made it inconvenient to go through the users and ban the spammers, so they just accumulated.

Anyways, the website is hooked up with PHP, so you can expect a lot more frequent updates and news posts.

Now, back to working on Super Jazz Man! :)

Disco

Ooh, much better looking than the previous incarnation Greg. My bookmark is updated, and I eagerly await more information on Super Jazz Man :D.

QuoteWe seek to cultivate a community of aspiring adventure game makers. With our experience, we can help with any aspect confronting the amateur developer. Don't be afraid to post art, music, dialogue, or ideas. As one fellow enthusiast to another: welcome!

I like the idea of this Herculean support group for developers. Expect me to take advantage :).

Helm

nice to see the "it's not easy being the best" marketing motto going strong. Go, Atlas, it's not easy being the best (and only) guy carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.
WINTERKILL

Ali

This site looks great, but since I know:

independant adventure developers = sticklers for accuracy

I thought I'd ask about the explanation of your logo. I don't think Atlas did hold up the world, he held up the sky. He only held up the globe on the cover of an Atlas.

Still, the sleek and shiny logo is too adorable to need to be accurate. I just thought you might want some kind of disclaimer. You know, you wouldn't want a titan after you for slander.

Seriously though, the site does look great. I look forward (as I'm sure does everyone else) to the Tutorial section filling up!

- Ali

skw

Simple, clear and much better than before!

I also dig your new avatars! :)
a.k.a. johnnyspade

big brother

We're working on new tutorials. Actually, we could probably put some of Greg's old ones back up, just that mine were a bit crappy and needed reformatting.

Few quotes I found regarding our logo:

Since the figure of Atlas supporting the earth was often used in the title pages of early map collections, the name has come to be applied to a volume of maps.
http://www.sculpturegallery.com/sculpture/atlas.html (not the most credible source, but I'll take it)

This one is better:

As part of the 11th task of Hercules:
"Atlas agreed to help him if Hercules would support the world on his shoulders while Atlas got the apples. The old man did not wish to resume his burden, but Hercules tricked Atlas into taking the world back." (emphasis added)
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761570023/Hercules_(mythology).html

In all fairness, I have seen the burden describe as "the heavens", as well as "the sky and the earth". I believe the world is a little easier to represent visually.

Slander is spoken, not written.

Glad you like the new design, the praise belongs to Darth.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

m0ds

Good job - the site looks great! Thanks for the barnettcollege link, too! :)

Ali

Quote from: big brother on Mon 15/05/2006 17:11:47
In all fairness, I have seen the burden describe as "the heavens", as well as "the sky and the earth". I believe the world is a little easier to represent visually.

Slander is spoken, not written.

That's fair, though I could claim I imagined you dictating. At least I was right about:  'independent adventure developers = sticklers for accuracy'.

Sorry for cluttering up your thread with my semi-researched assertions. The new site looks better than a doughnut on a cake.

- Ali.

Sam.

for anyone struggling with that particular simile, I have produced a visual aid.

Bye bye thankyou I love you.

edmundito

dude, not even a sketch for apprentice 3?  :'(

a little suggestion: put your name in the news post. the pictures are nice to have, but it doesn't tell me who you are, as Idon't know you.  :P
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Privateer Puddin'

See their avatars, you will soon learn. Or the about page.

big brother

I think my focus will be putting content on the SJM page...

Apprentice 3 is like the runt of our creative litter, neglected but not forgotten. Don't worry, that puppy will become a giant soon enough. :)

Gotta ditch these metaphors.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Gregjazz

Quote from: Edmundo on Tue 16/05/2006 18:27:35
dude, not even a sketch for apprentice 3?  :'(

a little suggestion: put your name in the news post. the pictures are nice to have, but it doesn't tell me who you are, as Idon't know you.  :P

This is a great suggestion!! Implementing it now...

Steel Drummer

Nice site, I like the new layout  ;). Just a few questions (regarding the game Herculean Effort makes): 1. Why is the Apprentice 2 such a large download (I'm on dialup)? 2. What's up with The Find? Is there any where to download the demo at?

Thanks.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Gregjazz

Quote from: yodaman11111 on Thu 18/05/2006 01:10:42
Nice site, I like the new layout  ;). Just a few questions (regarding the game Herculean Effort makes): 1. Why is the Apprentice 2 such a large download (I'm on dialup)? 2. What's up with The Find? Is there any where to download the demo at?

Thanks.

1. It's a full-length game with plenty of art, animation, and music. You could always use a download accelerator and pause & resume. Or there are also services on the internet to download files for you and mail you them on a CD.

2. We've put The Find on hold. Super Jazz Man and Apprentice 3 are our priorities at the moment. There was a release of a demo for The Find a really long time ago, but since then we've decided to scrap what we had in the demo and start over. The demo was nothing to get all excited over... ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk