Melrin:the deciple order
melrin 2
couger's quest for freedom
7 days a sceptic
5 days a stranger
^^^^^^^^^^^
favorite games

Privateer Puddin'

There, that's easier on the eye, now, how about some more detail? a skirting board? door handle? something outside through the window?

Also, you should make it smaller, at the moment it will scroll, even on 800 600 resolution and does not have the detail to warrent using that resolution

sp

added:
floorboards
bush in left window
snot on right window
doorknob
keyhole
coat rack
maniac mansion deluxe
enclosure
Melrin:the deciple order
melrin 2
couger's quest for freedom
7 days a sceptic
5 days a stranger
^^^^^^^^^^^
favorite games

Privateer Puddin'

Ah yes, snot on the window, how i missed thee!

mousemat

if you want a multi colour house use different colours then add shading and shadows.
(i draw backgrounds like that)
Oh yer moon walkin'
www.freewebs.com/bkreview/

iron_man

SP, you can do it easier if you have a reference. For example take your own room as an example and try to immitate it in the graphics program. Examine the pattern and the color of your room, and try to create the shame shape and choose the closest color. The same with the walls, etc. Try to draw this and post the results. Shading is next! :)

HillBilly

I suggest you replace the black outlines. E.G: If your object is blue with a black outline, colour the black outline dark blue. It looks somewhat better then. Or just remove the black outlines completly.

Chicky

Chicken's step by step guide to a interesting room:

Step One: Planning;

you have to plan your room extensively. Simply drawing just wont do, if you think of the rooms purpose and look at some reference material to go in that room it can be a really big help to you when your draw.

Step Two: Perspective;

Yup, its the evil work perspective. You really need to keep this in mind when drawing the room you cant just say "ohh, its cartoony. I don't need perspective" because thats completely wrong. Try to keep to a vanishing point in your scene and aim for all the lines to hit that point.

Step Three: Drawing stage;

The most fun part for making a game (for me at least) is drawing the rooms. I find it really helps if i do the entire room in small detail and then add the little details after I've got the foundation down. It may not work for you, but if you draw the foundation lines in a black line tool, changing the thickness for walls and object and then colour these lines at a later stage, it gives quite a nice result.

There really isn't much else i can say here, because its down to a certain amount of skill but practice makes perfect. Keep trying at whatever your drawing, don't just give up and go onto something else, thats what makes a boring room.

Step Four: Finalising;

Clean up those double pixels! Make sure all the outlines of one object/wall are the same colour and looking crisp. Theres nothing worse than a room with messy outlines, its nasty on the eyes.

well, thats about it from Dr. Chick. Hope you enjoyed this weeks exciting episode. Tune in next week for " dang, i need some character".

ohh and btw. Quickly using my process i chucked this background together in mspaint. And i do realize i didn't clean up all the lines, i left that to you. If you want to play around with the whole colouring thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/oversizedchicken/roomexample.png

cheers

Chicken

jannar85

I don't get it. WHY does some people post a 2-minute room here?
Oh, let's not forget that he actually works 3 more minutes before posting it again - 9 minutes later!

Before 30 minutes has passed, he posts another version of the image.

Wow.

Fantastic.

Please don't post background like these; learn to draw first.
Also, FINISH one background before you post it here, alright??

Sorry, but I'm just irritated at people who posts a background which they have spend only a few minutes on.
Come on, you can do better!
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Moox

Has it ever occured to you that some people cant draw, My girlfriend cant draw on a computer, yet I can.

Domino

Quote from: LostTraveler on Sat 14/08/2004 02:39:55
Has it ever occured to you that some people cant draw, My girlfriend cant draw on a computer, yet I can.

I agree with jannar85, post a background or pic that has some substance to it. Do we need to see a non colored (or badly colored), half ass attempt at a background every other day here.Ã,  I will work on a background for hours and hours until i feel it is appropriate for the critics lounge.Ã,  Who wants to see a room that somebody only took 5 minutes to produce.Ã,  If you can't draw, then learn and practice.Ã,  When you feel the background is good enough, then post. Don't just draw an outline of a room and ask for help.Ã,  When people post stuff like this, we should be allowed to speak our minds.Ã,  Just my 2 cents.

Phemar

It seems there's a lot of negativity going on on these forums lately...

Chicky

yes, it also seems noone apreciated my draw a room in four easy steps.

and that did take me more then 2 minutes...

bah

Andail

LostTraveller:  Pretty please, stop making these obvious statements. We don't yell on people who can't draw, we yell at them because they refuse to spend time and energy on trying to improve their pictures by themselves.
Do you see a sincere attempt at learning to draw here?

Zoraphus, I think we can live without remarks like that one, it's not exactly improving the situation.

Jannar is actually right, and he's pinpointing the ever-present problem we have at this forum, and I'm so darn tired of it.

What kind of update was that anyway? After ten minutes, he publishes the same picture, only with some lines on the floor and some green snot-like thing in the window.
This isn't a critics lounge anymore, it's a kindergarten

Moox

Sorry Andail, was just trying to make the point that not everyone is an artist.

Alright, how to make this better:
Change res to 320x240
Use prespective on the floor boards
Get rid of double pixels
add depth to windows
shade
add furniture

InCreator

Well, I hate to say this - but your room, my friend - is what people call "crap". Even a 4-year old kid can pull few black lines in MSPaint and fill the shapes with random colors. It's quite difficult to call it an art. And handle as it was, including commenting and criticism.

Draw this room at least 15 times. Every time starting from scratch. With furniture, perspective and everything. Recolor every time, trying to use various colors and making most things with one color, just changing the tone to shade things.

about 15th version - if you DO put effort in all of the 15 rooms - should be enough to get some crits already, because you're only at the start of a long road right now.

I'd also suggest you to try with photos. Google around for a photo of some room (or take one by yourself), keep it as reference and try to redraw it with your own hand.

In other words, practise. There's also big list of tutorials at the start of this forum. Take a look there, too.

Erwin_Br

I think this thread and this posted picture are one big joke. The poster must be laughing his ass off right now. I mean, snot on the window? Come on.

In the meanwhile, this thread is getting far more attention than it deserves. I've seen some great artwork here that didn't even get half as much of attention. I find that quite sad, to be honest.

--Erwin

Andail

Erwin, yeah, maybe it's a joke. But then again, we get threads like this one all the time, so it's nothing exceptional with it. It looks pretty average to me.

Also, this thread gets a lot of attention partly because there's a parallell discussion running along all these threads, which is about what to do about them and why they aren't good.

Thirdly, great artwork doesn't deserve more c&c than bad artwork, so I don't get your point there.
However, a work of art that somebody put down time and effort in does indeed deserve more attention then hastily and mindlessly conceived ones.

Now let's move on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk