creating the actual game

Started by homey3, Wed 18/08/2004 20:32:44

Previous topic - Next topic

homey3

I would like to export what I have so far into an actual game exe file to send to my artist so he can see what it looks like.  How do I do that?  I don't want to send him the whole big agsedit files with all the individual backgrounds, but like what you get when you download a completed game.

Anyone know what I'm asking?  Thanks.

rtf

The exe file is compiled whenever you save/test the game.

Ã,  Look under the "Compiled" folder in the game's directory, and you will find what you seek.

Edit:  Also, remember to send everything in the folder, not just the exe.
I fail at art.

Darth Mandarb

I find it hard to conceive that RTF's useful information isn't covered in the manual.

Let me just search the manual ...

Ah yes, after * extensive searching I uncovered this:

Distributing Your Game
When you choose the "Save game" option in the Editor, as well as creating data files which it needs for itsself, the program will create an executable file with the name of your game, in the "Compiled" sub-directory of your game's folder. This single file contains all of the program code and data for your game, and is the file you should distribute.

C'mon guys ... are we even attempting to search before asking questions?

* extensive = approximately 5 seconds

NOTE: I mean no offense to homey3 ... but this is becoming epidemic!!

homey3

No offense taken.  I totally understanding the problem.  I always try to search before asking and most of the time I find the answer first.  The problem I come into is not knowing what to look for.  See, I never would have thought to look for that.  And when going through everything, that never caught my attention.  When I see distributing I was thinking the actual "distribution" part, as in getting a web site, where to send it, etc.  I wasn't thinking about how to make what you want to distribute.

Most people who make games think along the same lines, I don't think the right way, lol.  It's an uphill battle because most stuff doesn't make sense to me because I'm thinking a different way.  So I really thank all of you who help me because I really need it!  Hopefully, the game will make up for it (hopefully it will be fun enough).

Jonathan

TerranRich

I know it's a lot to ask, but the AGS help file used to be called a "manual", and to fully understand AGS's full capabilities and features, it is best to read it from the beginning. The basics are covered early, at least in older versions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk