BG Blitz: August 17th - August 30th, Danger, Will Robinson!

Started by lightman, Tue 17/08/2004 12:56:04

Previous topic - Next topic

lightman

My vote goes to Andrew, too.

I liked the idea in DinghyDog's drawing, but the colors are too dark and it needs some shading.

I also liked Puddin's background, but I think it would look better without the smoke. Also, I think the lava could use some work.

Simulacra: Wrong thread? This isn't Artitude.

Opo Terser: You've made a really nice drawing, but I think it needs a little more danger.

Damien: Your background looks like it belongs in an isometric RPG/action-adventure game. Not what I'd expect for a point-and-click.

sedriss

By the time you read this you've already read it.

Ravenous

Seriously guys and girls... ???

I don't want to be rude against Opo Terser, because it's a really nice picture.
But, that excactly what it is, a picture. I don't think it really fits here at all!

It's supposed to be a background for a game where the player can walk around, but you can't. And there shouldn't be any character but it seems to be one in the boat... (eventhough it could be a doll or something). And last but not least it's supposed to be dangerous and well... unless you're afraid of water it's not scary at all..

And those are all the rules for this competition and he broke 'em all!!Ã,  ;)

Sorry Opo!!Ã,  Ã, ::)

Privateer Puddin'

meh, that could be used both as a background or a cutscene

the guy in the boat could me a character, unable to move around without an oar and you could solve a puzzle with the inventory items you have, something in the boat and only things close to the baot

dangerous, well, middle of the sea, without an oar, i'd be scared :P

there was a lot of talk about this 'oh it can't be used' and the talk of Artitude coming back started, then when Artitude was started, it was portraits, so no use to those who wanted to draw a cutsceney type background? :P

Ravenous

Quote from: lightman on Fri 27/08/2004 14:35:25
I think the boat picture could be used as a background, but there might not be much to do in that scene. The danger element is pretty elusive... even any implied danger.

As for cutscenes, I tried to make it clear from the start that people should not post things other than backgrounds that are usable in-game. I think that is a pretty simple rule to follow and I think it's fair to differentiate between backgrounds, cutscenes, and other artwork.

Well he makes the rules...

Privateer Puddin'

I was arguing against your point that it couldn't be used for a typical background.. just because the player might not be able to move, they can still solve a puzzle (cmi snake and in the quick sand? hanging in mi2 .. need i go on?)

and i know he stated no cutscenes, but it seems with every bb there seems to be someone who posts 'but you can't use that in a game!11'

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Wed 01/09/2004 13:29:03
there was a lot of talk about this 'oh it can't be used' and the talk of Artitude coming back started, then when Artitude was started, it was portraits, so no use to those who wanted to draw a cutsceney type background? :P

That was a general remark, about all Background blitz competitions.

Again regarding Opos bg, i've stated how it could be used in a game not as a cutscene, so in my eyes, he's not broken the rules.

Scummbuddy

I vote for Andrew, because it reminds me of those fun Looney Tunes cartoons, and I very much feel the danger when just looking at it. You just know that the boulder is going to fall, and the anticipation is great. I also like the coloring.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Ozwalled

Opo Terser

Sorry, I actually tryed to stay with the topic, the ocean scares me.

sedriss

I figured that the clouds was the scary part.. kinda like a storm is coming or something.
By the time you read this you've already read it.

Mr Jake

I think you'd be pretty damn scared if you were alone in the middle of the ocean in a crappy row boat

lightman

Quote from: Opo Terser on Wed 01/09/2004 21:46:39
Sorry, I actually tryed to stay with the topic, the ocean scares me.

I think you did all right with the bg, no worries. It's just a little too subtle for me... and Andrew's reminded me of Looney Tunes, which I liked. :P I think yours would have been better with some really imposing storm clouds or if you'd cleared the sky and added a bright, hot sun.

The only complaint I'd have is that it looks like you included a player sprite, which I think should be left out. Instead, the player could be in the water (not shown) and the person in the boat could be made dangerous somehow. The player out in the ocean, a boat occupied by a mysterious, silhouetted person with a knife... there are plenty of ways to show some danger.

big brother

According to the rules this time, there should be space for the player to walk, which Opo's background does not provide. Also, he included a player sprite, which was also against the rules. Too bad this isn't a "draw a cutscene background" competition.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

lightman

Big brother: Yes, the player sprite was a mistake.

Anyway, it's now time to announce the winner.... and the winner is Andrew. Congratulations!

Scummbuddy

ooo i get half credit for helping it be seen, dont I?Ã,  :P

congrats to andrew... i just hope he sees that he won...
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Andrew

Thanks guys! I'm honoured.Ã,  ::)
Can I pick a new category for the next contest now? Or how do this continue?
PS. Thanks again Scummbuddy for your kind intervention. DS

Privateer Puddin'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk