The Adventures of Bob I - Status: Abandoned

Started by Edwin Xie, Sat 11/09/2004 06:03:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwin Xie

I hope I didn't do anything to anger people but here we go to explain the game. ;D

There is person who just started his investigation career called Bob. He has a friend called CosmoÃ,  is is crazy about aliens and is a paranormal investigator. Bob does not believe that there are aliens in the vast universe and once discovers green things on a planet. Cosmo is about to hurt Bob in some way if he won't help him with crazy alien investigations so he joined the paranormal investigators too. Just one morning Bob discovers he has been abducted by aliens but this time, he stays in there for dissecting. He attempts to get back home but he is locked up in a cell protected by a powerful force field. Bob has a magnet, a walkie talkie (unfortunately he cannot contact earth and only Cosmo believes that there are aliens out in space) and a spy cameraÃ,  (to remember. He is currently on the planet Kethoptunotes (the short way they say it in the game is "planet Keth.") which is 10 light years away. Help Bob get home as soon as possible and before the aliens find and dissect Bob.

Screenshot(s):

This is not for C&C but, you know, how is the game?

Anyway, the positions I think I need for helping the production of the game are:
Background Artist (EXTREMELY NEEDED)
Beta Testing (Position Unavailable)
Character Artist (You know, aliens)
Help with scripting (Just helping me with the scripting, not doing the scripting)
Music Artist (Yeah, I need that)

(NOTE: I am not going to boss you around, I just need help making these things.)

More positions will be open as time goes. If you sign up for any of the positions and I accept you to do that position your name will be listed in the credits. Interested? PM me or contact me by Yahoo Messenger (edwinxie2003@yahoo.com) or MSN Messenger (edwinxie03@hotmail.com). And please DO NOT E-MAIL ME unless I allow you to, which you will be notified by messenger.

EDIT (Oct 19, 2004): This is the progress of the game:

Graphics (backgrounds and sprites): 5%
Scripting: 10%
GUIs: 98%
Music (or sounds): 5%

Average progress: 29.5%

As you can see, I've only accomplished a little. With a sprite or background artist, the progress for graphics and scripting will increase, thus making the production of this game faster.
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Albert Cuandero

(is this for real? I mean the 'open positions' part)

The character looks nice though.
int do_you_like_me;
if (do_you_like_me == 1) Display ("You can call me Al");
else {}

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Edwinxie on Sat 11/09/2004 06:03:33He has a friend called CosmoÃ,  is is crazy about aliens.
Cosmo ... what a great idea for a character name.

Quote from: Edwinxie on Sat 11/09/2004 06:03:33Anyway, the positions open for helping the production of the game are:
Background Artist (EXTREMELY NEEDED)
Beta Testing (Position Unavailable)
Character Artist
Help with scripting (Just helping me with the scripting, not doing the scripting)
If these are the positions open for helping the production, why is Beta Testing listed as (Position Unavailable)?Ã,  ;)

I might suggest changing the career of Bob from Investigator ... it's a bit overdone.Ã,  Other than that alien kidnapping is always a fun topic.Ã,  (Read - been done quite a few times but still fun!)

No C&C on the background, but I'd suggest not making the status bar that color.Ã,  It's rather obnoxious looking.

Have you made serious progress on this game?Ã,  I'm guessing not since you're asking for background artists.

It sounds like you've got the plot thought out.Ã,  Is this going to be a short game?

Edwin Xie

Hmm, I don't really know and the Beta-Testing position was left there because at some point I am going to need it soon. And what color do you want for the status bar? Pick something you like and I'll try to fix it.

EDIT: Picking career for Bob: Well, what career do you want Bob to have? FBI? Paranormal Investigator? Name one.
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

DCillusion

If he doesn't believe in aliens, try giving him an occupation where he wouldn't be exposed to the "unexplained" since it's a given that aliens DO exist in the game.  Investigation professions often see weird stuff, and paranormal sounds like his friends job.

What about something boring in journalism......like draft editor, copy editor, fact checker, etc.  He would be associated with people who "claim" to see anything you could imagine, but never seeing these things himself, he could be skeptical.

P.S.  You want someone to draw backgrounds, make characters, write music, and show you how to code??  What's your job in all this......Team Leader???

Edwin Xie

Yeah, I soon see that I agree on doing something like that but, uh, let me change the plot. Second of all, what makes you think I am 'team leader"? I have been requesting for help, not boss people around!

Kinoko

I think you missed DC's point. DC wasn't saying you were going to boss people around but rather... you're looking for people to do backgrounds, characters, music and someone to help with scripting. So, what job do you have have? I'm not trying to be critical, but I understand the point being made. Obviously, you're handling the story but is that it?

Edwin Xie

Oh, I see, you want to know what job I am doing. Obviously my job in all this is putting the game together and doing the story. :-\ Why'd you even ask? And mostly I just want some resources made just for the game.

lightman

Quote(UPDATE 9.11.04: We now require at least two screenshots to be included when you start a thread for your game. If you haven't got far enough to be able to take different screenshots, don't post yet

I think he is asking because it appears that you have a loose plot/idea for a game and very little else. That is naturally cause for people to wonder if you should be posting in this forum or if this doesn't belong somewhere else.

Edwin Xie

:o I never noticed that update... I posted on the day before anyway. I will find another screenshot to post. ;D

Andail

This whole thread makes me rather sceptic....is it really in production, or are you just eager to get some advertisement out for vacant positions in your team?

The background seems to have been put up more or less as an alibi to get around the forum policy.

I dunno, I usually expect a heck lot more from projects announced in this forum.

Edwin Xie

Yeah, it is really in production. And if you could look at the status, it is beginning. I have been really having problems with the GUI cursors and I would like to fix it in any way I can. If you have been hanging out around the Beginner's Technical Forum, you could see I really care. And uh, this game is going to go farther with a background artist. Unless someone teaches me how to do good backgrounds at the level I did that screenshot I did there. Those tutorial links in the Critics Lounge don't really help me do good backgrounds. Most of them just aren't right for this particular game. That is why I am unable to provide at least 2 backgrounds since I could do only 1.

Edwin Xie

Bump
I really need a bacckground artist (since I am always busy these days) that could draw the style I posted. To keep this game in production, I added some essential things like the death interactions. I know, I am expecting a lot more work done on this project. I can't really go into the stickies and ask for help there. The "Offering your Services" topic doesn't help me, there are a lot of background artists here in the forums and only a few of them posted in that topic. No one really cares about the "Looking for Help?" topic so that isn't really good for me. *Sigh* I guess I'll keep on working on the scripts I need for the game.

Edwin Xie

Bump
I added more useful scripts while learning more about scripting in AGS. I am currently working on Save/Load dialogs for the game and trying perfect everything for 5% testing..... I hope I would get more work done, I am still looking for a background artist. Calling all background artists!!!! ;D (At least they can do drawings like the style in the first post).

Edwin Xie

Due to the lack of popularity, this project will be abandoned.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk