<----What's up w/ the coffee mug??

Started by Cpt_Jigglypuff, Sat 11/09/2004 08:31:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt_Jigglypuff

It just dawned on me that the logo/mascot/icon/whatevah, for this website/program is a friggin coffee mug.......I don't mean to sound rude, I just wanna know....what's the story behind that?? ???

Mr Jake

edmundito

If you've used AGS, you would understand that the original sprite for AGS was a blue cup.  :=
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Cpt_Jigglypuff

Quote from: netmonkey on Sat 11/09/2004 08:40:23
If you've used AGS, you would understand that the original sprite for AGS was a blue cup.  :=

.......but why? ???

Mr Jake

you only just found out what the bluecup was and you've already changed you avatar to it -_-;

Bluecup is the defualt sprite - used (unless you are starting with the black template) when a sprite hasn't been defined, why? Probably because a cup was the easiest thing CJ could think of to draw at the time.

Cpt_Jigglypuff

Quote from: Hotspot on Sat 11/09/2004 08:45:40
you only just found out what the bluecup was and you've already changed you avatar to it -_-;

I needed an avatar, and couldn't remember the name of one of the old forums that my old avatar was at, and my computer was wiped so that would be the only way I could get it back, or making a new one, which I didn't feel like doing right now either....and this topic just came to mind, and I decided I kinda like it cuz it's quirky, and random.....so ....... bada bing I have an avatar....and it 'pwns'...  ;D

auhsor

Oh its actually called the Blue Cup, not a coffee mug :P. I remember a thread a while ago about the mascot/logo of AGS. It was mentioned that newbies would be confused by thee bluecup. I guess they were right.

TerranRich

The Bluecup is the AGS mascot, so to speak. According to the AGS Dictionary (www.esseb.com/andail/dictionary.htm)...

QuoteBLUE CUP

1. The first object in the sprite manager of the demo-game. Has become a common term within the AGS-community, primarily because of the fact that beginners often fail in changing the graphic of a desired object, and thus keep getting the picture of a blue cup.
2. The Blue Cup trophy is the prize for winning the annual AGS-awards.
3. An IRC-bot on #ags. Referred to as a good-looking woman.

:)

Andail

Or, as we can read in this excerp from the 2003 mittens publication "Blimey":

"... it is rumoured that Mittens originates in annual meetings amongst the alchemists of the middle ages, and that the name derives from the hand garments  these druids and sages were required to wear while drinking the traditional Blue Cup of the Mittens Elixir â€" being to hot for bare hands to grasp..."

The blue cup obviously had some sort of ceremonial function in the early days of AGS. Exactly what the elixir consisted of is yet to find out.

TerranRich

Whatever was in it, man, was killer! Seriously, my dog died drinking that stuff, man.

Mats Berglinn

I was going to ask this question myself but you guys have already anwered it which I'm happy for. I suspected that one of the reasons was that the blue cup was pretty easy sprite to draw so that's why it became the first sprite and therefore the symbol/logo of AGS... and I was right.

Pumaman

Quote from: Andail on Sat 11/09/2004 10:15:32
Exactly what the elixir consisted of is yet to find out.

However, early indications show that Foster's features significantly.

In terms of the Blue Cup, I wish there was some great significance to it, but the truth is that when I first made AGS, I drew a few default sprites like the blue cup, the yellow key, the pink poster, etc, and the blue cup happened to be the first one in the list.

Of course, it's also the default sprite if you don't set things up properly in your game, which is why it has since become something of a 'cult icon'.Ã,  :P

Haddas

So you mean... The pink poster could've been the AGS logo :o ?

You horrible, HORRIBLE man. Good thing fate stepped in and stopped that from happening. I mean... not that there's anything wrong with the pink poster...

that leads me to a question. Why pink?

Mr Jake

because he had finished drawing the transparenys on the cup and was too lazy to change the colour?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Why, why, why! You blasphemous people always want an explanation for everything! Count yer own blessings and be done with ye!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Pumaman

I have a question of my own, regarding the subject of this thread... how much longer does it really take to type "with" rather than "w/"?

Privateer Puddin'

you probably save the time wasted on doing '<----'

Edwin Xie

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 11/09/2004 23:25:14
I have a question of my own, regarding the subject of this thread... how much longer does it really take to type "with" rather than "w/"?
Uh, I don't know, they both seem to have the same lengths of time typing them, at least for me.
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Evil

And whats the deal with the '@' sign? Seriously.

[Cameron]

*Alec takes the chance to show his evil red mug of EVIL!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk