<----What's up w/ the coffee mug??

Started by Cpt_Jigglypuff, Sat 11/09/2004 08:31:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alun

And in English, of course, a cedilla.

Come on, now.  That's an easy one.  ;)

(It's not a "Spanish/Portuguese" symbol, by the way... it occurs in Portuguese, yes, but not in Spanish.  Not in modern-day Spanish, anyway, though I think it did occur in archaic Spanish.  It does also occur in French, though.)

Okay, then, while we're on the subject of diacriticals... what's the difference between an umlaut and a diaeresis?  (No fair cheating by looking at dictionary.com or some other reference source.  ;) )

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Sheesh! What's that? Sounds like it came from a medical text!

Well, I don't know, but I remembered this one, so I thought I'd mention it.

What's the difference between a cat and a complex sentence?
Spoiler
A cat has claws at the end of its paws, and a complex sentence has a pause at the end of each clause
[close]

Now back to guessing what the HECK is Alun_Clewe talking about...
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Andail

Good one, Redrum.

Alun, that's a tricky one. I'm impressed if anyone knows it without checking it up first. I have studied language for quite some time, and I can only barely recognise the term, much less define it.

BlackMan890

i have 3 blue cups, so i am an ags member, but the proplem is, i also got one YELLOW, what does that means:

BLUEÃ,  Ã,  Ã,  =Ã,  official ags logo
REDÃ,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  =Ã,  the evil cup, enemy of The Blue Cupâ,,¢
YELLOW =Ã,  weaker, paler, slower version of The Blue Cupâ,,¢
GREENÃ,  Ã,  =Ã,  evil immortal enemy of The Blue Cupâ,,¢
PINKÃ,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã, =Ã,  The Blue Cupâ,,¢ girlfriend
BLACK    =   Unknown enemy of The Blue Cupâ,,¢

Edit finished the list
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

Please go to www.simnet.is/elinnils52 and download my non ags/adventure game :)

Privateer Puddin'

Damien

I thought that the Green cup is evil immortal enemy of The Blue Cupâ,,¢.

TerranRich

YELLOW is the weaker, paler, slower version of BLUEcup. Ya know, the one that people pity.

Also:

Heh, I hope you know this is all my cup of tea, so to speak. ;)

Umlaut and diaeresis: The same exact symbol, but different uses. The diaeresis is used to change a syllable by having one of the vowels pronounced differently, like the second O in "cooperate". Technically, you could add a diaeresis to the second O to change it from looking like "coop" to "co-op". It's used in various languages except German (Greek and French, among others), and even in English in rare cases. The umlaut is used to change a vowel so that it's pronounced more to the front of the mouth, sometimes for a better sounding word. This is the one used mostly in German.

Bring it on! That was all from memory, not from cheating. I'm a language/punctation/letters freak. :)

Alun

QuantumRich - Yes, you are, of course, absolutely correct.  And did a pretty thorough job of explaining the answer, too.  ;)

(By the way, for those who don't know what an umlaut/diaeresis looks like, it's just two dots over the vowel.  The umlaut appears, for example, in the German über, and the diaeresis in the Spanish vergüenza.)

Well, this one's probably going to be somewhat easier, but anyway: in faux Old English, you'll often see "the" spelled "ye", as in "Ye Olde Inne".  In genuine Old English, though, "the" wasn't really spelled with a Y.  What was it spelled with, and where did the Y come from?

Soup - The Comic Strip

Kinoko

It was originally spelt with an 'L' because of the French, and the 'Y' came from medieval times when Robin Hood shot an arrow through the top of a lower case 'l' and split it in twain.

Seriously, I have no idea. This is all very interesting but beyond my linguistics knowledge.

TerranRich

:P IIRC, the old-letter form of "th" looked much like a "p" with its stem elongated. People misread the symbol (I believe) and saw it as a "y". Am I right on that one?

If so: What is the name for the dot above the letters "i" and "j"? Bonus: Besides "forward slash", what are the other names for "/"? (three total)

Alun

Quote from: QuantumRich on Tue 21/09/2004 05:06:40
:P IIRC, the old-letter form of "th" looked much like a "p" with its stem elongated. People misread the symbol (I believe) and saw it as a "y". Am I right on that one?

Basically right, though I was also looking for the name of the symbol.  (It's called a "thorn".)

QuoteIf so: What is the name for the dot above the letters "i" and "j"? Bonus: Besides "forward slash", what are the other names for "/"? (three total)

Well, in answer to the bonus question, "solidus" and "virgule"--but as for the first question, that one I don't know.  Unless it's "tittle" as in "jot and tittle", but that's pretty much just a guess.  (Hm... I just checked dictionary.com, and it does define "tittle" as "A small diacritic mark, such as an accent, vowel mark, or dot over an i"... but that means it's not just the dot over an i or j, but any similar small mark, so it's probably not the answer you're looking for...)

(Oh, and by "three total" in the bonus question, did you mean counting "forward slash", or three total other names?  Because if the latter, I got two of them, but I don't know the third...)

Soup - The Comic Strip

Phemar

Quote(By the way, for those who don't know what an umlaut/diaeresis looks like, it's just two dots over the vowel. The umlaut appears, for example, in the German über, and the diaeresis in the Spanish vergüenza.)

This is also in French. It's called a Tréma. It's used the same way in words such as Noël.

Andail

Ok here's a tough one.
What's the name of this ancient symbol? It derives from Anglo-saxon times, used to separate sections in a text. It could also mark the end of a text passage.

I uploaded two versions, the first one is a free hand drawing from me, the other is a symbol I found on the internet.

It goes under two names. Any of them will do :)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Andail

As a matter of fact, it can be called xxx-leaf, but it also goes under a more technical term.

Ishmael

Talking about the dots, finnish has two letters, ö and ä, that use them. They're letters by themselfs, but they are pronounced in relateion to o and a, just with a bit more "pitch" maybe... I don't know for sure, but anyway...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk