King's Quest III+, Beta-5

Started by Radiant, Fri 17/09/2004 16:40:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Hi there,

The new beta version of KQIII+ is now available, at
http://www.liacs.nl/~psimoons/kq3b5.zip

This version has VGA screens, courtesy of Zeus (aka IronMan). Yay! I hope you like them.
I haven't updated all the walkables and walk-behinds yet; please don't tell me they are wrong, I already know that.

I believe all bugs mentioned before have been fixed, but as usual feel free to doublecheck. Thanks to Dreammaster and Fluxmaster, and all the other people who helped there.
Spells now work. You can legally obtain all ingredients except amber stone, nightshade, mandrake (but those are available with Stuff Pockets) and make the spells, and you can for instance scare the shopkeeper while invisible. You can also get past all of the bad guys, except the spider, and you can't catify Manannan yet. And, several of the puzzles have had a clue or two added.

Note for any beta testers: when reporting bugs, please try to be as explicit as possible. Anything that starts with 'sometimes' is probably very hard to find for me.

(and I've started a new thread because the other one was getting too long, please lock that one?)

Enjoy everyone!
- Radiant

Radiant

Oh and to answer Aldrius's questions,
if by retexturing you mean drawing VGA screens, then the new beta should answer that.
I'm sorry but I don't really like the story effect that would be caused by Manannan re-appearing after you defeat the dragon. Besides, in your plot, Manannan would just kill Gwydion and then take the potion. But thanks for suggesting it.
The story is basically three parts; in the first part, Llewdor, the villain is Manannan. In the second part, the Journey, the villains are the pirates and the yeti. And in the final part, Daventry, the villains are the dragon and
Spoiler
something else...
[close]

In the original, Manannan zaps Gwydion for carrying just about anything not found in the kitchen. I'm making him a bit more lenient, I'll consider your suggestion. A toadstool could be used in soup (except that this particular one is poisonous) but why on earth would anyone carry fly wings?

iron_man

Radiant i noticed that you did not use the VGA version of various animated and non animated objects (doors,cups,spoons,drawers,mirrors  etc ) nor the new animated flames of candles. Does this have to do with the latest news you told me 10 days ago ?

Darth Mandarb

I'm a little confused ...

Why did you start a new topic?

Is this a different remake of King's Quest III+?

Why did you double post?

Calgon ... take me away!

I have locked the old topic.

Edwin Xie

There are faults in the game I have noticed, and the graphics (a.k.a sprites) were un-updated. And at night, when you are at the room where you are near Mannanan's bedroomthe outside background shows daylight instead of night. Probably some scripting error? And I know you haven't updated the walkable areas and walk-behinds but they look messy. Do you want me to help you fix that? Or do you want us to wait 'till another beta?
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Robby

The ladder won't come down even after I looked through the telescope. Is this a bug

Robby

I mean even after searching the hole after seeing the bandits use it.

Aldrius

I don't know. It's just really, really annoying when Mana kills you over carrying ANYTHING! (Er, Roberta's Fault though)

And okay, I understand. I just really hate how added-on Mana felt. But it's your game and your plot, so my oppinion doesn't matter of course. (In all honesty)

And I asked this elsewhere, but what do I need to do to get the key from the bears?

Just so you know, I think you're doing a great job. And I look forward to "retail".

Robby

you haven't answered my question.

Edwin Xie

Quote from: Aldrius on Sat 18/09/2004 04:46:00
I don't know. It's just really, really annoying when Mana kills you over carrying ANYTHING! (Er, Roberta's Fault though)

And okay, I understand. I just really hate how added-on Mana felt. But it's your game and your plot, so my oppinion doesn't matter of course. (In all honesty)

And I asked this elsewhere, but what do I need to do to get the key from the bears?

Just so you know, I think you're doing a great job. And I look forward to "retail".

Actually, you could simply hide stuff in the barrel or under your bed. And I think someone already gave a clue on how to get the key... on the old topic.
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Robby

You still haven't answered my question.

Robby

The ladder won't come down. beta 4 it worked. Do I need to do somethjing else.

Edwin Xie

Robby, stop complaining. It's obviously going to be fixed and you do not need to post the problem like 2 or 3 times.

Radiant

Okay, please let me point out that this is a beta version, which means that several things are not functional or otherwise buggy. You should not play this version if you want to complete a fully functional adventure game. When it's finished, you can do that. The current version is downloadable so that people can point out bugs, plot holes etc.

IronMan -> oh, I'm sorry about that. This actually has to do with a faulty floppy disk, that caused me to lose part of the archive. I did a PKZIPFIX to salvage it but apparently some of the images have been lost. I'm pretty sure I did do the candles and torches, though.

Darth -> I started a new topic because the old one was getting overly long and contained a lot of no-longer-relevant information. Thanks for locking it. And I should probably have hit the edit button instead of adding my own msg, sorry!

EdwinXie -> I don't currently have VGA animations for many things. That's why I just requested a sprite artist in the Help Wanted thread.

Robby -> yes, that is a bug. And I don't monitor the forum 24 hours a day so I hope you don't mind my non-instant responses to questions. You can use the teleport cheat to get up there, I believe it's room 47.

Aldrius -> I think Manannan will be slightly more lenient about objects in the future. But I'm afraid that over half of the objects qualify as suspicious even then.

Darth Mandarb

No worries!

I was just confused.

Please add in two screenshots and all will be well ;)

I'm going to download a little later and give a whirl!Ã,  I'll get back to you then.

~ d

iron_man

Radiant no problem i will send you the objects again. I saw the torches of the basement. ( I wanted to play with lighting so the right torch was intended to be off, hence the darkness of the right side of the room)

But i had created several types of candles to be put to specific rooms as well : for example
mannanan's, slave's ,study room etc, which would be light up during night.

Plus Ã, i noticed that you put the initial version of some backgrounds i had done ,the ones that had still shots of candles with flames Ã, and without the stair 'rails'. The final version omits candles, and candles-flames can be put indepedently as objects.

i also had Ã, prepared a starting screen imitating the feel classic king's quest V and VI starting screen.

I will send you again the right pictures.

Aldrius

QuoteAldrius -> I think Manannan will be slightly more lenient about objects in the future. But I'm afraid that over half of the objects qualify as suspicious even then.

I just had an idea, perhaps if you have something like Fly Wings or whatever. Obviously Mana doesn't want you to have that, so instead of killing him over it, perhaps he should take the object, punish you, and put the object in a safe or something? Just a thought.

Edwin Xie

Uh, Aldrius, he does not punish you because he is worried you will obtain the item, instead, he kills you because you were betraying him and he knows you will do it again after you were punished.

Aldrius

Oh? I thought he didn't want you having those items because then you could perform magic...

Edwin Xie

It's more like that he kills you for having any item that might hurt him in some way. That is why he does not punish you. Cause then you could get him. I know it is hard to play the game like that but that is how life goes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk