King's Quest III+, Beta-5

Started by Radiant, Fri 17/09/2004 16:40:27

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxmaster

I posted some bugs on the AGDI forum before I noticed this thread.Ã,  Most of them were duplicates of what was already posted here.Ã,  However, I noticed that you changed the name of the executable from KQ III.exe to KQ3.exe but did not provide a new version on winsetup.exe.Ã,  I copied the old version of winsetup.exe, but that only worked if the executable was named KQ III.exe.Ã,  Also, if you save the game and then rename the executable, the saved games won't load.

EDIT: Aha!Ã,  I finally found a bug before anyone else found it.Ã,  When I try to make spells but use the wrong ingredients, a screen comes up
Spoiler
which is the crypt from KQ4
[close]
but in some cases there is text overlain on the room.

Also, when I am in the laboratory (and invisible) and restore a saved game, I get a message that I was about to prepare dinner for the wizard.
The Fluxmaster

Edwin Xie

It seems you are very excited to find a bug before anyone else but.....
Spoiler
crypt from KQ4
[close]
?
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

dreammaster

The teleportation spell failure room is the crypt from Kings Quest IV. If you've played it, it was the cemetary crypt where Pandora's Box was located.

dreammaster

I was fairly busy on the weekend, but managed to scrounge up a few bugs (I've tried to remove bugs that have already been reported):

* The co-ordinate tracing option is still showing the co-ordinates as screwed up letters like the previous version was
* Looking at the study trapdoor still gives you the "you see the steps" message even if it's shut.
* I finally found the pouch - I'd actually experimented with the garbage dump before; the graphic used for the pouch was simply too distorted for me to recognise it. I only got it now because I tried interacting with the dump again. If you are going to allow people to get the pouch by using the dump, it'd be worthwhile to add in a descriptive message, like "Sorting through the garbage, you discover a pouch that might be worthwhile"
* It's almost impossible to go north from room 63 (to get to the mountain base).. clicking most anywhere just moves player to north end of room without leaving it
* You're already aware of the treehouse ladder not appearing
* Using the hand icon on the sleeping thief in the treehouse seems a bit unstable. If your active inventory item is the rope, then you automatically use it for some reason. Othewise, it says the thief wakes up, but then you get a dialog "you think you can hurt two husky bandits", and the bandit stays sleeping
* There's also a misspelling.. it says "you *d*ie the rope to the thief's leg"
* Fatal error trying to talk to the 3 bears having a picnic
* It's very difficult to leave room 62 to the north on the left hand side.. any click on the skyline has no effect; you need to click on the ground at just the right spot
* You can take mistletoe multiple times
* Some objects still need use messages, such as the bartender or the bushes
* Restoring the game to a postion on day 3 in the house tends to give you a message "You were about to prepare a meal for the hungry wizard"
* If you use the desk in the lab, it displays the message about lions and cats, but then gives you a "no message for touch desk" dialog

Nitpicks
--------
* I think there should be a walkable area added to the left of the tree in room 85. Visually there's enough room to walk, so it doesn't make sense to always force Alexander to go around the tree.

Edwin Xie

No, I don't mean what the crypt is, I am asking, why would something from King's Quest IV be in Kings Quest III+?
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

dreammaster

It may be just to tie the whole series in a bit more. After all, the newest beta also contains an old message from Hagatha, and some messages from Al Hazarad and others, which tie in both KQ2+ and KQ6. It gives the games a greater sense of continuity.

PS: Another bug I just realised; on Night 3 I navigated to lab (being invisibile due to the previously reported bug) and used the lab desk to read the messages. After the message was read, the stunned sound started playing in a loop.

Radiant

Dreammaster -> thanks! To be fixed asap (beta-6 should be faster than beta-5)
Aldrius -> I actually like that idea (of the wizard punishing you with some ingredients, rather than killing you), it's under consideration. Note however that anything you stole from his lab or bedroom would still make him kill you.
Edwinxie -> Yes, that's an inside joke. Note that the spell you are probably working on was the teleportation stone, no? So, we get a teleportation going awry. Now what would be a candidate for the single worst place you could end up...

Kyng_Graham

Firstly, this is great. I haven't found any bugs, but I haven't been looking as I don't want to spoil this finished product.

I think it's great that KQIII+ links into Tierra's KQ II+, though I think the letters are a little unsubtle and should really work like letters did in KQ2. I hope that when you're done the startup, fanfare etc. will resemble KQ5, KQ6, KQ1VGA and KQ2+ VGA rather than the EGA-style intro that exists currently.

Will you be doing a digital music pack of some kind? At the moment the theme comes through my soundcard as pretty cool piano music, but I'd love to see something on par with KQ2+.

Why didn't you use the same interface as KQ2.5, which in itself looked a lot like KQ6's interface?

Lastly - will dialogue be more like KQ2, as in a close-up pic of the character and a few clicks worth of dialogue rather than

You see Mannan who says, "Oi! Do this."

which seems to be the style in KQ2?

Err... that's it for now. Thanks again!

Edwin Xie

Oh yeah, try to fix the intro part where it keeps changing from the old graphics to VGA and back.

Radiant

Kyng -> Thanks. What do you mean by 'the letters working in KQ2'?

I would love to have digital music. But I'm no composer. So if any music makers are reading this, drop me a PM please!

Edwin -> yep.

Kyng_Graham

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 26/09/2004 15:27:27
Kyng -> Thanks. What do you mean by 'the letters working in KQ2'?

The letters in KQ2 were much longer and typically meant you went to a different screen rather than it popping up on screen as a piece of text. The same thing happens when you read a book in KQ2+.

Radiant

Okay. The next beta for KQIII+ is nearly complete and should have the land of Llewdor completely finished. However, I have noticed that this thread has turned mostly into people asking for help on how to finish the game. While I'm glad that people are enjoying the game, I would like to have a full version with as little bugs as possible so that adventure gamers can enjoy it to the most.

So, I believe it best if future beta versions are not to be released to the public, but rather to a group of testers. If you're serious about wanting to beta-test KQIII+, drop me a private message. This does mean that you should be prepared to not just play the game, but also to walk around a lot to check walkbehinds and cliff edges, try lots of little details over and over again to check if I have made any mistakes, and restarting the game and trying puzzles in different order or from different angles, so it's quite a bit more work than simply trying to solve the game.

As a side note, any artists, animators or musicians at large, if you want to help with the game, feel free to drop me a line!

Edwin Xie

Wierd that you can't see Manannan's eyes in VGA format, his eyes look like the were pasted from the old beta :-\ . The enly part where it does not look VGA is the intro. About how he gotten to this area and stuff but I guess his dreams were also not put into VGA format. You might need a very experienced VGA artist (maybe you couldn't find the images from iron_man?).

iron_man

Edwin, believe me the introduction screen with the logos was the easiest part of the job. I did not neglect to do it
because of lack of experience. :)

I had already prepared the vga version of the introduction, but unfortunately due to disk errors  in a disk of Radiant, he lost them (and vga objects were lost as well). No worry though as i have resent the files to him.

About the eyes , i decided not to make him looking right and left like a autistic, and instead have him STARING at the player with this imposing-scaring look and only move his hand. Maybe the ega eyes animations has to be removed.

I could draw a vga version of his dreams, but we had
decided with Radiant to work only on background art
objects, and animated objects of the backgrounds, and NOT on sprites because i had not so much time.

Then a second artist could offer his help in this area by drawing sprites.(including the dream of Alex which shows sprites only).

Radiant=>please check your PM of this forum!

Radiant

Ironman -> Done.

Edwin -> I seem to recall you offering to do graphics as well, but I haven't heard of you since?

Edwin Xie

Sadly, I have been busy these days and had no time to notify you.

Ninjagirl

Hello! None of you know me, so this might seem really rude ;) but from my experience it's always best to just jump on in when trying to get involved in a new community.

Soo..Nice to meet everyone, and cool to see this new project you are working on, Radiance!! I love the KQ series!!

Do you still need an artist? What sort of stuff do you need? Yes, I am an artist!

Ninjagirl

AND I have joined the forum now

~Sorry about the post before, I didn't really intend it to be a sidetracked sort of intro in the wrong sort of thread. I just intended to offer my services.

deltamatrix

Any chance we could see a sample of your skills as an artist?

Why not redraw a old KQ3 into VGA or do a character portrait.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Ninjagirl

Yeah sure ;) I would have posted some before, but I thought that would have been pre-emptive and rude. I've already given this link to Radiance, but for anyone else who is interested... http://evilninjarochelle.deviantart.com/

I was an Epilogue artist but I've recently left. There is one image in my gallery there that I've kept there for the purposes of their New Masters of Fantasy 2004 promotion. I'm trying to hone down the number of online communities I'm involved in.

I think I am doing portraits for this project - I have yet to respond to an email that I can see sitting there in my inbox ;) yay, exciting!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk