Trippin'

Started by InCreator, Mon 20/09/2004 03:03:26

Previous topic - Next topic

InCreator

Well, well.
I think It's time to announce a game I've been making for half a year already... (thus hauling my lazy ass back to work  :))

Let's see screens first (which tell the story and give some general idea about the game).

Well, happens that myself and Valter (main characters) win a trip...

But things won't turn out quite as planned...

And we end up on a strange island full of strange people...

And start exploring around, still trying to figure out is it just a bad dream or reality.

Okay.
So far I can say about game:

Backgrounds...
...Are almost ready, there's 13 of them. They're drawn pretty well, considering my lazy nature, every pixel is paid for, with sweat and tears. "Residents" of Critics Lounge maybe remember some others not shown here.
Maybe I just add 3-4 more screens. Or 7-8. Or...
oh.

Characters
There's 10 of them, all quite colorful and animated. I plan to add some more.

Animations
Game is already (and will more in future) filled with shitloads of animations. There's 2 reasons why:
1) I promised to put shitloads of animations into game.
2) I love to animate & I'm lazy. Instead of scripting or trying to fix the weak plot, I just animate and animate, so I can say that I'm working on the game... while I'm actually not working on critical elements of the game. Well, so that is.

Plot
Isn't anything normal human being could start building game on to. I really messed up with plot, fact that game could be ready by now - but I still have no idea what happens at the end - proves it.
But I'm still looking forward to patch all this mess up somehow.

puzzles 'n' other adventuregamey stuff
No pixelhunting or timed puzzles, but whole game plays as scripted cutscene. You do few clicks and enjoy the show again.

For example, I connected 3 rooms so you have to run around them many times. And this took 9 GlobalInts and 12 different animations to work. At the first I thought - "Lots of time on graphics, but since AGS is so easy to use, I'll throw rest of the game together later, just in a day or two"... well, scripting everything together actually takes more time than I spend on making bg's for 5 games like this!

Sound
There's plenty of sounds. Most of them ripped from Internet or various games.

Music
Not a tune of music. My weak musical talent has abandoned me this time for good. Actually, I hope to ask someone to make me music later, when most of the game is complete. Preferably something NOT midi, since I somewhat dislike MIDIs.

Release date
Not sure at all. There was about 5 months delay where I just started AGS and closed it after 3 minutes of looking at the project. Right now, AGS Team Challenge has increased my will to continue my own game too. I hope to get all of this together in few months.

Update (7-01-2005):
Finally, I got some time for the project, and some plot patching done. I started revamping some existing backgrounds (because my drawing skills have got much, much better since the start) and I won't even mention animating skills after last ATC and some other projects I tried/helped with.
Palette went from 16 to 32-bit, because of heavy gradients usage.
About enough material is together to make a demo.

Darth Mandarb

Now this looks pretty darn good!

I do remember the crashed plane scene from awhile back in the CL!

I'm not sure I understand the plot ... but the graphics certainly look interesting enough.

Good luck wrappin' this one up!

ghostface

Looks really good InCreator, and I like the new avatar! How long do you think it's going to be? Good luck.
"I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory. Lasts forever."

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

InCreator

Well, even I cannot understand the plot. Or where it leads. It contains an angry ganja-growing farmer, plane-hijacking terrorist, a trippy hippie, nerdy cliffhanger, desperate sheperd, antisocial fisherman and so on... Freedom of Creativity, ho!

When game starts, me - casual AGSer and Valter - diehard Quake2 clanleader buy potato chips and find a free trip to Hawaii from chips pack. Unfortunately, trip is pretty cheap and plane gets hijkacked. So, we piss terrorist off and he throws us into the sea, which leads to landing on an unknown island. Here the game starts. So, it goes from reality and present day towards complete madness.

I picture myself and Valter just like we are, me as a fool who hits the wall with my head before finally being sure it really does hurt... and Valzebnik as reasonable and cautious guy, who just sometimes goes crazy and starts fire everywhere (that's true too, he once set whole forest on fire near my hometown, at the riversideÃ,  :o).
To make things easier, I call myself "InC" and Valter as "Valz" in the game. These are our nicknames in reality, too.

If people "get" at least 10% of the humor I include, Plot will become less important anyway.

I can't say exactly how long the game will be. Medium-length, I suppose. There's more things I would like to add, but...

...Right now, My puzzle ideas got TOO hardcore, so I'm awfully stuck in scripts logic, there's like 10 conditions/events for each thing to take account while performing (if you do this then check if this thing is like that and this thing is like that and million other things are like that blah blah), so if...then...else stuff got really messy. As soon as I get over this part, rest of the game development will advance faster.

Puzzles are very complex so far. For example, you have to get piece of glass from plane window:

Spoiler

* Valz refuses to touch sharp pieces of glass
* InC tries to get one, hurts his hand, tries again, hurts hand again, after third time he punches furiously plane door, which makes piece of glass to fall off from broken window, onto ground.
* When interacting with glass on the ground, InC - still angry, stamps foot on glass, burying it into the ground and forcing player to get new one
* Valz picks glass piece carefully up when interacted.
[close]
See? Things are complex and it gets even worse later.

fovmester

This looks bloody good! Please finish it! :)

sedriss

Yeah. Finish it! It looks awesome.
By the time you read this you've already read it.

Toefur

Looks really beautiful! Look forwards to playing this one!  :)

Barbarian

Great job on the art work, it looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it.
And your idea of the "plot" could certainly lead to some exciting game-play.
I wish you best of luck with your project and look forwards to seeing the completed game in action.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Chicky

F**k yes! you've finally decided to go for a Wip :D

as i said before, it looks amazing inC. Just make sure you keep the story solid, and it will be a great game.

InCreator

Thank you, thank you very much! Motivation is just the kind of thing I need right now.

But...
what's a Wip?

ghostface

I *think* it's a work in progress?
"I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory. Lasts forever."

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Moox

I remember that crashed plane bg.

Looks great, I will be sure to add it to my list of games to play

Defender

Wow! That screenshots are fantastic. I am really looking forward to play this game  ;).

yaron

greate work so far, i really liked the crashed airplane backround
looking foward to play the finished thing

Iwan

I love the third screenshot. Looks like a interesting puzzle :),
Good luck at compleeting this!

Pft!

Wow I love the style! You MUST make a tutorial, its great!  8)

Hope to see a demo soon!  :-*

InCreator

SQ 4.5:
I have made few tutorials some time ago.

http://www.hot.ee/increator/draw.htm
http://www.hot.ee/increator/textures.htm

But since I have advanced alot and my "style" is progressed too, I'm planning to make another one in few next days: Trippin' needs some fresh bg's anyway, so there's no reason why i couldn't save image several times during drawing progress and add descriptions of what I did, later...

Pft!

If you do make one, make it with Photoshop 7.  ;D

InCreator

bah, I don't
1) LIKE
or neither
2) USE

Photoshop or any Adobe programs, well, Premiere only, sometimes.

PS is way too complicated and uncomfortable for me to make anything creative, after opening this painful program all I think about is how to get this mess closed and unloaded from RAM.
:(

And as proven many times, the program itself doesn't mean anything. Artist's skills do.

Pft!

Well if you want to make decent stuff. I know my way around it making good looking 2D backgrounds. What about Paint Shop Pro 6?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk