AGS v2.62 now available!

Started by Pumaman, Sat 06/11/2004 22:40:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Well, it's been a while, but 2.62 is now finally ready for release!

If no serious problems are found I'll upload it to the website in the next few days.

As usual, this thread is only for discussion of the new version and bug reports. No suggestions in this thread please.

All changes since v2.61:
* Added AddInventoryToCharacter, FileWriteRawChar, GetButtonPic, GetHotspotName, GetObjectName, LoseInventoryFromCharacter, NewRoomNPC, RemoveObjectTint, SetFadeColor, SetNextScreenTransition, SetObjectTint text script functions.
* Added COM Plugin API access to Characters, GlobalMessages, Script #defines, GameDirectory, SaveGame and QuitGame.
* Added GIF image import, and Quick Import GIF Frames option.
* Added ability to get current year to GetTime.
* Added characters[].idleview variable to provide read access to the character idle view (still use SetCharacterIdle to change it).
* Increased max sprites displayed at once from 39 to 50, and improved user-friendliness of the error message if it is exceeded.
* Pixel-perfect click detection now works with scaled sprites.
* Increased max hotspots to 30.
* Increased max characters to 300.
* Increased max views to 600.
* Increased max GUIs to 50 and max GUI Buttons to 250.
* Added option for objects to use region tint and light levels, and an option for objects to use walkable area scaling.
* Added ability to get the number of characters, objects and GUIs to GetGameParameter.
* Added missing characters to default font 0 (#, $, &, etc)
* Added warning if you called FollowCharacter on a character which was doing a looped animation.
* Added automatic de-denting to the script editor, so that } characters get automatically pulled back to line up with the corresponding {
* In the Walk-behind editor, only the baseline for the currently selected area is now displayed, for clarity.
* Changed room area editor so that only the selected area is displayed bright, and the other areas are all greyed out.
* Added Script Modified indicator (*) to script editor title bar.
* Added Sierra Portrait Position game option, to allow you to specify the portrait to be on the left, right or alternate. This supersedes and obsoletes the old game.swap_portrait variable.
* Added game.skipping_cutscene variable so that you can find out when your code is being skipped over.
* Added game.abort_key, to allow you to customize the Abort Key to be something other than Alt+X.
* Read-only variables such as mouse.x are now enforced as such.
* Display("") now does nothing, rather than pausing the game.
* View preview window now displays current frame number.
* DisplaySpeechBackground now removes any existing background speech for the character before displaying the new speech.
* Fixed bug in 2.61 which was resetting all character movement and animation speeds if you upgraded a game from a pre-2.55 version.
* Fixed WAV music not getting included in the MUSIC.VOX
* Fixed recursive function calls to give error rather than crashing.
* Fixed movement 'snapping' to destination when using move speed 1.
* Fixed crash if there were no frames in one of a character's main loops, by providing an error message instead.
* Fixed GetRegionAt to return the nearest region if the co-ordinates are off the edge of the screen.
* Fixed plugin API AbortGame function crashing.
* Fixed attempting to skip a cutscene hanging if No Auto Remove text was being used.
* Fixed SetCharacterIdle not kicking in straight away when delay was 0.
* Fixed IsKeyPressed not supporting the +* = keys.
* Fixed FaceLocation problem with characters that had less than 4 loops.
* Fixed SetObjectTransparency and SetCharacterTransparency so that a transparency of 100 means the sprite is completely invisible, even with 256-colour and alpha-blended sprites.
* Fixed StopMoving resetting the character's current frame to 0, even if they weren't moving.
* Fixed problems using NewRoom inside a region interaction whilst moving to a hotspot walk-to point.
* Fixed walk-behind area 15 not working.
* Fixed SetMusicVolume changes not being persisted in save games.
* Fixed error message about repeatedly_execute_always popping up if you used a blocking function in Enters Screen Before Fadein (which you shouldn't do anyway).
* Fixed object baselines not being sorted out properly when you deleted an object.
* Fixed crash if you used NewRoom from within a Player Leaves Screen script.
* Fixed SetCharacterIgnoreWalkbehinds placing the character behind all other sprites.
* Fixed text windows getting a black background if colour 0 was specified, rather than being transparent.
* Fixed view preview window not stretching properly with 320x200 games.
* Fixed view preview window aligning sprites to top rather than bottom.
* Fixed view preview window not blanking out display if you selected a loop with no frames.
* Fixed view preview window not remembering its location on the screen for next time.
* Fixed AnimateCharacterEx not working properly when playing a multi-loop animation backwards.
* Fixed DisplayThought to shrink the thought bubble to fit the text when a short amount of text is displayed.
* Fixed mouse cursor staying as Pointer (mode 6) when a dialog is STOPped.
* Fixed nested array indexes not working properly when used with a struct in the formÃ,  a.b[c[k].d];
* Fixed text box accepting keypresses when disabled.
* Fixed SetObjectPosition giving erroneous line numbers if you passed an invalid object to it.
* Fixed "Use exact palette" being ignored if "Share palette" was ticked in 256-colour animated backgrounds.
* Fixed "repeatedly_execute" option on the Script menu sometimes selecting repeatedly_execute_always instead.
* Fixed script editor crashing if you created a variable name longer than 60 characters.
* Fixed parse error if a string longer than 255 characters was used in the script.
* Fixed SetGlobalString not being safe if you passed a string longer than 200 characters to it.
* Fixed Wait(0) to give error message rather than cause strange in-game results.
* Fixed SetPlayerCharacter to do nothing at all if you pass the current player character to it (previously it was resetting the inventory layout)
* Fixed ChangeCharacterView giving a warning message if the character's idle animation was playing.
* Fixed issue with Sierra-style speech if the first frame in the speech view was flipped.
* Fixed crash if you closed the script editor while the message telling you to do so was still displayed.
* Fixed FaceLocation hanging if the character was set as hidden.
* Fixed #defines working on words inside 'single quotes'.
* Fixed "you need to select an item first" message box when trying to set the Inventory Hotspot Dot.
* Fixed problem when SetPlayerCharacter was used in a room which had "Hide Player Character" ticked.
* Fixed DisplayThought positioning if character was not in current room.
* Fixed PlayMP3File error if filename was longer than 25 characters.
* Fixed interaction editor Text Script Equivalent code for Conditional If Variable Equals Value

These items from the tracker are resolved:
BB61: Pixel perfect click detection for scaled chars
BB274: FileWriteRawChar
BB278: COM plugins: Allow to add #defines
BB279: COM plugins: Get current game dir
BB280: COM plugins: LoadGame / SaveGame
BB281: COM plugins: QuitEditor
BB283: COM plugins: Characters[]
BB284: COM plugins: GetCharByScriptName
BB341: SetObjectIgnoreWalkbehinds not working
BB387: FadeInColor / FadeOutColor
BB421: Set screen transition for each room
BB450: Don't use walk-to point on interact & talk
BB488: Auto-remove background speech

NOTE: The new functions NewRoomNPC, AddInventoryToCharacter and RemoveInventoryFromCharacter are to support future optimizations, and as such it is highly recommended that you start using these rather than modifying the character[].room and character[].inv variables directly. It is planned that character[].room may well become read-only in a future version.

(NOTE: If you used the 2.62 Final (ags262final.zip), this file is identical. No changes have been made.)

Go to the AGS Download page to download!

Gregjazz

Ishmael

Hmm... yay!

I don''t like the idea of character[].room and other such variables becoming read-only... well, I'll have to get used to it I guess...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Radiant

Hi there,

all the subtle improvements are always nice...
however one thing that seems bugged is the 'syntax de-indenter'... whenever I try to insert a line after a line that has a closing brace }, the brace gets de-indented. Apparently the editor just replaces '  }' by '}' whenever convenient... is that the way it was intended? They don't get pulled back to the last corresponding {, they just get pulled back two spaces in all circumstances.

Chicky

Excellent, the 19 hotspot limit was getting quite annoying. 30 is just what i need.

Edwin Xie

Phew! "ags262final.zip" is identical to the "ags_262.zip" now I don't have to download again. I really like the new features. Just what I needed to do my game.
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Pumaman

Guys, if anyone would host a mirror of the 2.62 zip file it'd be appreciated, I don't know if I've got enough bandwidth to continue doing so.

ErikKiller-boredtoLOGIN

Well... I downloaded AGS_262.exe or something but I CANT OPEN THE FRIGGIN AGSEDIT.EXE... THAT DOES NOT EXIST??!!!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Take a deep breath, a chill pill, and ask nicely. ::)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Pumaman

You might want to investigate SCRAMM for your game making needs.

Candle

Here is a mirror for you Chris , when you update it again just let me know and I'll update the link again .
http://games.candles-weblog.us/downloads/ags_262.zip  (us mirror)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Candle, the link-link man. Every odd post he posts a mirror, or something of the sort. :)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Candle

:I still have a few more that I can draw on :)

Pumaman

TailGunner

Why cant there be Scandinavian keys like: ä ö or å?
ASCII code for ä = &#228; for ö = &#246; for å = &#229;

Mail me for reply: Nyrhinen@mbnet.fi

strazer

If you use true type fonts you can use these letters in a translation file.

For SCI fonts, there is a tracker entry: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/tracker.php?action=detail&id=119

Phil

just wanna say that its really great to have AGS! unfortunately i don't have too much time on my hands evethough i managed to write a complete game document for a lil adventure game. i am still busy modelling all the backgrounds with 3dsmax.

anyway: keep up the good work!

phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk