Good Old Music Contest (12 - 19 Dec)

Started by Nick Dangerous, Sun 12/12/2004 14:25:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Dangerous

Okay.
First, I want to say sorry that it took me so long to start a new competition. Won't happen again.

Second I want you to remember the good old days, when you started to spend most of your freetime in front of good old videogames.

Third I want you to make a tribute song to one game that impressed you beacause of it's music (This game should be good and old, at least old).

This tribute may be of any kind you imagine. Maybe a remake of the soundtrack, maybe a song using the style of the gamemusic, maybe something completely different.

Hauste, wa!

Flippy_D

How old is old? Because I started on The Incredible Machine, then MDK, then Fifa 97... so, yeah, around that time period is my 'old'.

Edit: Tell a lie, I started in '96 with my Snes and ALTTP.

Nick Dangerous

Well. I'd say any game that makes you feel nostalgic will count as old. As everyone makes his expiriences at another time, everyone would call other games the good old ones. This means old means whatever you want it to mean.
And in case someone wants to enter and has never had any feelings of nostalgy when listening to a particular game music, just imagine how it would be like and pretend you have.

Eigen

Doom definately makes me feel nostalgic. So here's a little tribute to the goold old times:

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/heil_doom.mid

-Eigen

Ghormak

Achtung Franz! The comic

Oz

Here's my entry:

http://hem.bredband.net/minefield/mi_theme.ogg

A tribute to one of the best soundtracks ever! Composed freely from scratch with Michael Land's original version as reference. Not quite finished, and not fully mixed yet, I'll get to it later. Enjoy!
Diversity is divine!

Damien

Awesome Oz, I always loved the MI theme tune, and don't get me started about the Doom soundtrack...Ã, 
...aaah, the good ol' times.

Pet Terry

Quickman Slowmotion

Megaman series on NES always impressed me with their music. Ah, the memories... this song is a remake of tune from Megaman 2, from Quickman's stage.

It's up to you to decide whether you count this one as an entry or not though, because I started working on this song a couple of months ago. I was making this originally for OCRemix but then ran out of ideas. I thought this would fit in the theme of the week so I quickly made some modifications to it. The song might be a bit repetitive, but so is the original tune and it's amazing how those tunes don't get boring even though you hear them tens of times when trying to battle all the monsters and make your way to the end of the level.

I think I go play Megaman 2 right now!

EDIT: To anyone who has ever played Megaman 2, I was going to add something like the sound of the lasers in Quickman's stage in this tune, but I lacked a proper samples so I scrapped that idea.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Damien

Here's my tribute to the MI theme, I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and today I bought new gutar strings so I went for it:

D_MI_Rock.zip (936 kb)

Rock on.

Vel

Gabriel Knight tribute(Wolfgang Ritter theme)

edit: sorry about the recording, it buzzes at times.

qptain Nemo

How about to make this competion a bit longer? It's too good!

Nick Dangerous

I'm sorry, I did neither finish this competition nor replied. Surely I'd say it's okay too make longer. If nobodys absolutely against it, I'll allow further entrys to be made and gonna rate everything tomorrow (means on additional week). Hope that's okay to everyone. Changes on the entrys posted till now will be legal as well.
If you don't want this to happen, pm.
And:
Sorry again and again.   

Nick Dangerous

Finally I finished finishing the contest. I was happy when I saw problem commenting the entrys after the last competition. Think that's quite a motivation and the affords that are put into the composing earn this. I'm not a music expert, so I can't tell you much more than "I like.. I hate..." blablabla---
Ã, 
Eigen: The dark atmosphere of Doom. Has been caught pretty well. I just feel like sneaking around dark corridors and slaughtering everything that's gonna after reaching the climax it gets too static, the last piano appears in my opinion too abrupt.

Ghormak: Wow, sounds pretty much like good old SID. Brilliant synth-programming. Benn would have been proud of you.

OZ: Arrr! Another great rebuild of the original music. Nice additions to the original. The hey in the beginning's awsome. Fucking piratish. It's fantastic how you managed to put so much into one song without making it sound overloaded, without letting one single sound seem useless.

Petteri: Was amazed how beautiful the Mega-Man music sounds slomo. As you say, a bit repetitive. Though it's not getting boring, you maybe should've done something with synthesizers or "extra"-sounds (the lasers sound like a good idea). Think I can't count it as an entry anyway.

Damien: Nice idea and really rocky. You maybe should have put some more work on it after the recording. The leadguitar sounds somewhat empty and the fadeout's just not satisfying.

Vel: Gabriel Knight's a pretty hard task to work on (I listened to some soundtrack midis to know the originals) . Your song sounds really nice (the rubbersynth in the background's cool) but in the end I was waiting for something to happen.

I really REALLY liked every single entry. Was afraid that I could have perjuduices because I love or hate one of the games, but I played none of them a lot (I finished Monkey Island but I had no soundcard these days) so I should be neutral. In the end I was twisted (or whatever you say, I think you know what I mean;)Ã,  between Ghormak's Last Ninja and Oz's Monkey Island.

The winner is:
Oz

because he put more motion into his song and because of the "HEY!".
Congratulation

Vel

Congrats to the winner!

Hope to see another great theme for the next competition.

Oz

Thank you! I'll start the next compo as soon as come up with a good theme. :)
Diversity is divine!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk