Yahtzee's Poseidon 12 life simulator

Started by SSH, Thu 16/12/2004 09:22:31

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

OK, I know it breaks the rules, but there's a betahere:

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games/p12v10.zip

To quote the ramblomatic one himself:

"Basically, it's a life simulator set on a spaceship, like a hybrid of The Sims, 7 Days [a stranger], and the genre of Japanese dating/life sims."

Privateer Puddin'

Just had a quick look, and it looks rather interesting, i enjoy life sims quite a bit ... something to try over christmas perhaps :D

[Cameron]

Dowloaded that beta, looks great, can't wait for the full game.

Problem

Unfortunately in his forums he said that he doesn't want to finish it.

SSH

Quote from: Problem on Thu 16/12/2004 13:11:11
Unfortunately in his forums he said that he doesn't want to finish it.

Ummm, quote from today at 6.50am:

Now, I'm not gonna lie to yez, this is kind of a pet project for me and I don't want too many bugs left in it when I release it properly, not like what happened with 7 Days. This is a very elaborately programmed game, so there are going to be bugs, and a lot of them, so if you want to beta test, I need you to beta test it HARD. Make it your beta test BITCH. Try everything you can, and save often; you never know when a bug will bring down the game.

burakaxx

Very nice game ,simple graphics but  different style. İ think maybe with the better graphics , it can be an award winner idea.Also i am trying this rpg style works in my game too...  well done.

Problem

Quote from: SSH on Thu 16/12/2004 13:38:41

Ummm, quote from today at 6.50am:

Now, I'm not gonna lie to yez, this is kind of a pet project for me and I don't want too many bugs left in it when I release it properly, not like what happened with 7 Days. This is a very elaborately programmed game, so there are going to be bugs, and a lot of them, so if you want to beta test, I need you to beta test it HARD. Make it your beta test BITCH. Try everything you can, and save often; you never know when a bug will bring down the game.

Oh sorry then, he seems to have changed his mind. I remember him talking about not going to finish it when he released it as an alpha version. That's great news, as I really like the idea  :)

Darth Mandarb

I found it pretty enjoyable.

He does an incredible job of setting 'mood' in his games.  The graphics, though not stellar, are enjoyable but it's the 'mood' of his games that I like the most.

I rented a book from the library, but when I read it my character got stuck in the 'reading' animation and never recovered.  I played the rest of the time sitting and reading, even while working.

Cyberion

yes, there are alot of bugs. We are beta-testing the game and it updates every day.

btw the bug witht he book was fixed.

Phemar

This sounds sweet. Downloading now,

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I played through this awhile ago until I had progressed so far as a doctor that no jobs were available for me to make money anymore.  ;>

wyr3x

i've played this game for a really-little while, but it really seems to have something good to show. waiting for the full version :D.
waiting for the AG of the century .....

Cyberion

actually this is full version. There is no sounds and music, but its a full.

We beta-test it and report bugs to Yahtzee and he corrects them. When he is satisfied, he will add sounds and music and will post it for everyone's downlaod as a full version ;)

Einoo

Quote from: Cyberion on Sun 19/12/2004 21:59:36
actually this is full version. There is no sounds and music, but its a full.

We beta-test it and report bugs to Yahtzee and he corrects them. When he is satisfied, he will add sounds and music and will post it for everyone's downlaod as a full version ;)

Wouldn't it be COOL if there were about 50 thirty-to-fifty second music clips, and if there is no music playing (this would be not having the music loop, of course), it would check to see what your stats are (your "mood", if you will) and then would play music accordingly? Please, please relay this idea to Yahtzee.
Now let's find out if gasoline is flammable!

Risk

Very, very nice!! I only hope that unexpected things happen .... ya know, like uhh... a co-worker pulls a practical joke or you find out your girlfriend is cheating on you.... but not everyday just sometimes... I think the formula for each unexpected events is:

the higher the degree of intensity is for an event, the lower the frequency must be set for that event.

Yeah, anyway, that's just my two-cents.

Goldmund

It was quite pleasant, but after screwing with the whole crew of the station (both sexes) I somehow lost an incentive.
It would be great if he added some special events, like said above, and if "working" meant actually doing something. A bit of a plot would also be nice, even though it's a life-sim.
Great "bravo!" for making it a game for all sexual preferences, this is very laudable!

HillBilly

I'm not too fund of life SIM games, but this looks fun! I'm looking forward to the finished version.

Haddas

Well I had sex with almost everyone. Is it just me or is Doreen an impossible case? She seems to like the bottle very much though. I've been requesting a promotion for ages, but I never get X(. Is it not implemented yet, perhaps? It's easy to befriend the other crew members. Know what presents they like and buy lots of them.

I quite dislike how you eat in the game. It's so time-consuming. I think it'd be better if he implemented something like: You choose the dish, and then your nutrition rises and money drains gradually as you eat, instead of paying $30 for a meal 3 times in a row. Let's face it, the other meals nutritional value gets drained  from moving the mouse :P

PaulSC

Good game - it's definately has the Sims' "got to do just one more day" addictiveness, and it's good to see AGS being stretched in interesting ways.

But there are a few too few options when it comes to books and presents, and the general setup is a bit too routine and predictable - it's quite easy to 'cheat' your way through, and you don't really get many rewards for your achievements.

Right now my bloke rarely sleeps, only breaking five hour shifts in order to pump himself full of high-energy meals and to keep my numerous lovers sweet with presents. By any realistic standard my character would seem to be having some kind of severe physical and mental break down, but the game's rewarding me for it.

There should definately be some health consequences or something for eating the energy meals, because at the moment they're just too useful.

Really nice game, though, on the whole.

big brother

A few comments on the game (in no particular order) -

It would be nice to be able to set up a routine system: at the start of a day you can decide to free play it or you can schedule it ahead of time so you won't have to micromanage. It would make those boring, working months go quicker.

As it is, it takes FREAKING FOREVER to gain increases in the primary stats (intelligence and strength) except for charisma (thanks, Freudbot). My character went to the gym for an hour and 15 minutes a day for three months and her strength only went up ONE FREAKING POINT! (Health and nutrition was full). I found the same problem with knowledge, self-esteem, etc.

It might be nice if the characters on board had pre-established (randomly chosen or not) sexual preferences instead of being blank slates. Also, it would look better if they walked around, too, buying items for each other (and maybe you for a change) and borrowing library books. Maybe they could initiate conversation with you for a change. It might be nice if you could visit other NPC's rooms, so the residential decks serve more then just an intro-level job for the security grunts.

Overall, I would like to see more events happen. I volunteered my character for the exploratory mission, which ends in a game glitch. My character overpowers the guard and leaves the room, but the room doesn't change, I can still move my cursor, and interact with Gloria. There goes several hours of my game time down the drain. I'm especially frustrated since I'd spent the 30,000 to max out my room and achieved a full popularity bar (every indivual loved me) as well as a first lieutenant post.

Anyways, it's nice idea for an alternate use of AGS. Playing it kind of makes me want to make my own life simulator, with polished graphics and dynamic events...
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

PaulSC

I feel a bit bad criticising such an ambitious and generally well-crafted game (and such a celebration of the delights of promiscuous bisexuality to boot), but the more I play this the more I think it's pretty deeply flawed. Basically, it's way too easy, and the further you get into it, the more repetitive and boring it gets.

The thing is, half the fun in The Sims comes from you fighting to give your characters happy, balanced lifestyles in the face of increasing job requirements and awkward working hours.

In this game, your job status has no effect on the gameplay whatsoever, beyond having to walk a little more or less to get to your new jobclocker. Once you've found a good routine, you're basically set for the entire game (and it's a LONG game), after that there's little reason to want to keep playing for all of those endless months.

The game is a lot of fun when you're just getting to grips with it, building your character and choosing your friends and so on, but it's just too easy to be a faceless, perfect automaton who's best friends with everyone.

I really think the game needs to be developed a bit more before it's released. As it is, I'd say it's a nice try, but I think Yahtzee's reach has exceeded his grasp this time around.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk