IF in Ags

Started by Sylpher, Tue 08/10/2002 00:12:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylpher

Well first off:

http://www.sylpher.com/IF.zip

Now while that is downloading (You did click...yes??) lets have a chit chat. I just sorta put this together the past few days for fun. it isn't exaclty a literary masterpiece. Probobly should be considered a demo and not even a game but hey. I had fun making it. If it is well enjoyed I would like to make a longer game. If poo'd upon I won't bother.

So do you like?

Esseb

scotch

I played it, but I only did two moves because the parser didn't seem to understand me :(  I'm going to try again.  Perhaps you should make it in a proper IF language.

Edit:  Oh, I see, I did it now.  Have to be simple with my words.

MillsJROSS

I've never been one much for these types of games, but you did an excellent job, sylpher. It's rudimentary, and needs to be fleshed out, but this is just an example of what may be possible, should someone want to go down that path. I liked it, and I didn't even need a walkthrough, even though it took me a while to get the right words, but what game with text parsar doesn't have that problem.

-MillsJROSS

Sylpher

Yeah, as Mills said its just an example. I have found many probs with the parser sense and in a full length game they would be fixed. I tried to make the parser simple so almost anything could be carried out with either Examine/look or Interact/Take. But I didn't really mention that.

Getting the parser to understand almost anything you want it to do is quite a task so I think I may make another example (Or just update this one) just to improve the parser. See how that works out. Also I have heard mixed feelings about putting a little window at the bottom of the Inv box for images. Some like the idea some say it spoils the idea of IF...thoughts?

scotch

I think the graphical inventory idea is fine, there'd be no point in doing this in AGS if it was exactly the same as something made in Inform or TADS (minus the great parsers :)

MillsJROSS

I like the inventory box idea. It allows you to see your inventory items without you having to type, look at inventory. Making it easier for the player to find the right item for the right situation.

-MillsJROSS

Sylpher

Yeah what I meant is at the bottom of the Inv box to have a Box where images could be displayed...Like a map. or a sketch of the scene or a persons face when your talking to them or something....

Nellie

I really liked the idea of this, and enjoyed playing it despite the prototype parser.  I think it might be a bit awkward to make a complex IF game using the AGS parser system, though you're in a better position to judge that than me.

And you should definitely include images, because otherwise you might as well use Inform or something ;).  If you're going to make a text adventure in AGS, it's probably best to take advantage of the stuff AGS can do that text adventure systems can't (bearing in mind that HTML TADS can do images too).  Such as the rather nice stone-effect background in your demo.  Or the inventory GUI.  Well, I guess you already did some stuff.  I'll shut up now.

Sylpher

Acctually Ags is capable of doing very complex Parser commands I was just lazy. :D

I'm gonna make an updated version of this the next few days and hopefully I can incorprate more goodies ags is possible. Also, something I was wondering about is the scrolling text. It will only scroll back about 4-8 lines (depending on the case) This game is rather short so I don't think it was a big deal but should I increase it?

I kinda like the idea of it being a bit short cause then if you want to remember something you can;t just scroll up you have to go back and ask someone again (Like in real life) though some may find it annoying. Just wondering what you folks thought.

AND!

I'm trying to figure out what I forgot as far as parser commands are. For example one I noticed is you can't type in 'Stone Wheel' as the game puts it only wheel which I'm sure caused some confusion. What else did you come across?

Nellie

You could scrap scrolling altogether if you wanted.  Just make sure all the clues are available to the player whenever they want them, by typing in the relevant command.  The first thing to do would be to implement a 'Look' command so the player can see what's in the room any time they want.

Missing commands?  Hmm...

'Open Door'
'Open Window'
'Get [item]' (You already implemented Take and Pick up)
'Look' (I can't stress this enough ;))

If you wanted to do IF the traditional way, you could implement a 'Drop [item]' command, though I don't see many advantages to it as a design choice.

Goldmund

...and nowadays there's usually the shorter way of writing "examine", since one does it so often - it's "x"

I would also advise you to download Hugo or Tads, Sylpher. Tads gone HTML you can make such a stone-tablet background, and Hugo plays sounds, music and even has avi-support.
But these are just trinkets. What you get, and this is important, is a HUGE parser, ready functions for containers, openable objects, characters, capacity of containers, even telephone calls and weather (advanced users add to the functions library on-line).

scotch

Yeah, graphics are nice, but for IF obviously uneeded.  The parsers of modern IF are great becuase they don't stand in the way of plaing the game much.
I made a version of your game in Inform, it only took a few minutes, the parser obviously makes a big improvement.  Using x to examine things saves a lot of time and the general look command makes it easier for the player, you should definately put those into your game.

Inform Version (save as)

Get an interpreter for your system if you need one here.
Or just don't bother, it's the same game ;)

Goldmund

QuoteYeah, graphics are nice, but for IF obviously uneeded
???

Man, have you played Gateway?

Eggie

That was good, but I think you shouild remove the 'use' feature. what's the point of having a text parser if you can just type 'use'.

I'm higly impressed!

Goldmund

Good point, EHCB. Yes, the greatness of IF lies partly in the total abandonment of "use" command.

Sylpher

Hey sorry sorta been busy past few days. I did add all the suggestions as far as I can tell and will probobly upload the new version soon.

Yeah being able to use use for everything does kinda make it pointless I guess. Should I completely take it out?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk