Someone thinks we should be shut down...

Started by spoofer4ever, Wed 19/01/2005 04:08:52

Previous topic - Next topic

spoofer4ever

Gilbert

But didn't you read it, he posted here in the thread in question 2 weeks ago already.

spoofer4ever

God dam it, i knew that would happen , guesed i missed it  :P

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Bleh. They seem to have a very low opinion of this community over there... at least that's what it seems. Those "This is what I expect will happen now" posts after Tom Henrik made his point...
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Krazy

Quote from: Rui "Puss in Boots" Pires on Wed 19/01/2005 08:32:03
Bleh. They seem to have a very low opinion of this community over there... at least that's what it seems. Those "This is what I expect will happen now" posts after Tom Henrik made his point...

Well it was a pretty crappy point at that, AGS has never delivered a single bit of spam.
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

Gilbert

I'm not sure but I feel that someone is missing the point, we just clarified on our opinions that abandoned wares are illegal, but we didn't said anything about shutting down such sites or downloads (at least I never said that).
Whether these sites/downloads should be shut down or remain there is another matter (which we wouldn't argue about such a controversial topic here), we just can't defend ourselves by cheating ourselves of thinking that such downloads are legal while they're not (and honestly, who can really stand up and raise his hand, saying he had never done similar illegal things?), whether we would download abandoned wares or not is just our choices, and we know what we're doing.
And also, it's just something like a loose rule that we shouldn't be showing links or requests about warez and the like here (like asking for a "free" copy of a commercial game for example ;), if you really want it, just do it in private), so anyone posted similar stuff in the forums would be politely asked not to do so.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I see alot of childish responses in that link.  Is it a wonder that they jump to a forum to post opinions no one here cares about?  On the subject of abandonware, I believe that anything not commercially available (cannot be found new or used somewhere- this does not include 3.5 or 5 1/4 disks since I would not buy those since they are almost certainly defective by now) is up for grabs.  I have nothing against Abandonia or similar sites aside from some of their more childish posters.

Radiant

I don't believe that what Abandonia is doing is wise. They draw far too much attention to themselves, which makes them ripe pickings for any corporate lawyer wishing to shut them down.
They've never given any proof or backing to their persistent claims that they in fact would have permission, which makes them rather hard to believe. Especially if you consider that HOTU and other more famous abandonware sites never got permission either.

HillBilly

Quote from: Tom Henrik
I HATE such sites....
"Oh you naughty little man... you have to REGISTER in order to post.... tisk tisk... we need your e-mail.... hihihihi..."
*clicks spam-button*

Which is a funny thing to say, 'cause you have to register to post on his forum.

Darcness

At least HOTU is a lot more conscious of the law. With games they know they might get in trouble with they have links to sites where you can buy the stuff. I, for one, don't see anything wrong with downloading games by companies that no longer exist. I mean, seriously, if you won't be able to do that, some really good games of yesteryear would just disappear off the face of the earth.

Free the Floopians, Our first commercial indie game.

scotch

Is it? HOTU offer abandoned warez just like Abandonia (Some people around here seem to think the term abandonware is there to mask the fact that it's illegal... I think it's a useful term personally, there is a very clear moral and economic distinction), they are no more within the law.  I think Abandonia is doing a great thing, Abandonware is illegal, there's also almost nothing wrong with it.  Copyright is something given by the government to artists to allow them to make money from their creations, when the artist is no longer going to accept money for their work I think we can ignore it, it's not a God given right.
Basically everyone on this forum supports abandonware and downloads these things privately, the only reason we don't talk about it here is not to get into trouble with lawyers, although chances of that are about as minute as the chances of photo copyright holders suing us over the PP competitions imo.

Gilbert

Exactly scotch.
If anyone just want to talk about getting abandoned wares, "free" commercial products and "free" anime movies, please don't do so in this forum.

DGMacphee

But if you want free h@rdcore fux-pix of lezbians, just PM me.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Gilbert

* Gilbot V7000a PMs DG.

Wait! Why should I tell others that I PMed DG for some 1337 entertainment?

DragonRose

Because you want the other kids to think you're cool.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Radiant

Quote from: scotch on Wed 19/01/2005 21:15:32
Is it? HOTU offer abandoned warez just like Abandonia
I think there's a huge moral difference between HOTU "we know this isn't legal and we will (and have) take down anything that people object to", and Abandonia "we really have permission from Sierra (unlike everybody else) only we won't prove it to you".

QuoteBasically everyone on this forum supports abandonware and downloads these things privately,
Speak for yourself.

As people have said before, it's an ethical borderline and you could probably go ahead, but don't go deluding yourself or anyone else that it's legal.

Ishmael

Games I've played ages ago, like Terminator Futureshock (or something like that :P) are on the HOTU list, but the Download bit has a link to the game's creators website, because the game is not completely abandoned yet. But how could I aquire Blood, when Monolith netstore just don't have it at their list anymore? Well, I can download it from HOTU since it seems to abandoned by Monolith to the point of inavailablity from their behalf.

A bounch on nonsense that nobody probably understands, but so what? :P
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Secret Fawful

Oh geez, not again!! :o Abandonia gives links to purchase sites for dott, mi 1-2, and so on!!! Yeesh.

DGMacphee

Yes, but they've got links to other LucasArts/LucasFilm games to download (Loom, for example). We've been over this already. I don't see why you want to bring this up again.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh. In truth, no one brought it up. Spoofer, who didn't know about it, just thought we should know... and eventually we started discussing the issue again.

Maybe it would be best to let it lie again.

Kneel. Now.

Candle

DragonRose

Read the thread. Then you will know. Hooray!
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Candle

I was being funny . well maybe not funny a pain in the ass is more like it .

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteMaybe it would be best to let it lie again. 

QuoteWhats up ?

As far as witty repartee goes... :P

Kneel. Now.

jetxl

"Someone thinks we should be shut down..." is a bit of a delusive title.
I don't see what the fuzz is about. There's alot of horsing around on this forum, so there must be alot of horsing around on other forums, too.

Pumaman

Ok, this thread has outlived its usefulness, and hence it shall be sent to sleep with the fishies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk