Mac OSX support through Dosbox?

Started by moonpxi, Wed 22/12/2004 21:54:40

Previous topic - Next topic

moonpxi

Hello all!!

First of all, I have read the FAQ, searched the forums, and know: there is no Mac OS port for AGS runtime, even if I ask I will not have the source code to port (altough I would like to) and even if hell freezes over, warm up and freezes over again there will be a port in the future.

Nevertheless, I was wondering if game designers who badly want to port their games to Mac can do the following:
- Do/compile a DOS version of the game
- Release it along with a Dosbox compiled version for Mac and an executable calling the game through Dosbox.

Ok, only two steps, but does it work?? Unfortunetly I won't be able to try it out for some time... :(

PS: first post here

strazer

You don't necessarily need to compile a specific DOS-version.
You can use the acdos.exe with every game that doesn't use plugins.
Just do "C:\> acdos game.exe" or rename the game.exe to ac2game.dat and run acdos.

simulacra

Any suggestions for a free dosbox program for the mac?

Gilbert

Why? DosBox is a free DosBox programme for the MAC (and many other platform).

simulacra

DeadlyJynx

I got dosbox so that i could play my favorite games on my xp machine... like Sq6, Sam & Max, Dot...

but i get errors... lol...

to bad ppl havent remade it within the ags engine..

--This is not a sig... this a a bar.

monkey0506

Well the last time I looked at it, DosBox was still under construction.  It's been a while though, so maybe it's not...

Snarky

DOSBox is still under development, and its emulation lacks a few features. However, in practice it works.

DOTT, S&M and SQ6 are all supported by the application, so if you get errors, it's likely that something else is wrong. (Apparently there are some problems with SQ6, but ways to work around them. Check the DOSBox games list.)

Of course, for LucasArts games, the best way to run them is with ScummVM.

monkey0506

SCUMMVM is an excellent program, but I don't like the way it overrides the built-in GUIs of some games.  And I can't save Beneath A Steel Sky (not sure if that's LA, but it works with SCUMMVM; I downloaded the game from Underdogs.org or something like that).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk