Bunch more SUGGESTIONs

Started by SSH, Mon 31/01/2005 20:54:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Akumayo

"Power is not a means - it is an end."

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'd also like to call attention to something that's also in the qupted thread, Akumayo - you could have just done:

AddInventory(Random(2)+13);
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

edmundito

On GUIs, but this time is the GUIs, you can make on AGS?

I once had an idea of having this notepad in my game where the player could write clues and notes. I never got around to it, but now I'm working on something similar and I've realized that the AGS text box has two limits...

1) It's not multiline.

2) It can't hold enough characters... same for labels.

Is there any way to add these features? I guess I could use a list somehow, but that would confuse the user a lot in my opinion... and before I go through all that effort, it would be nice to make my life a lot easier.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

GarageGothic

There are ways to get around this through coding. I would think the problem isn't in the textbox or the labels, but rather in the string format. It can only hold 200 characters, so you can't assign any more to the text box/label. Changing that limit probably wouldn't be easy.

What you can do however, is use a listbox with hidden borders. And then do the text entry/linebreaking in code. I did pretty much this for my conversation log and it works fine.

Edit: As an alternative you could put 6 or 8 labels together to form a page. But the coding wouldn't be much different from when using a listbox.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I understand that the new "String" format has no such character limitation... but I'd appreciate confirmation.

Kneel. Now.

edmundito

Quote from: GarageGothic on Fri 21/10/2005 21:03:12
What you can do however, is use a listbox with hidden borders. And then do the text entry/linebreaking in code. I did pretty much this for my conversation log and it works fine.

Edit: As an alternative you could put 6 or 8 labels together to form a page. But the coding wouldn't be much different from when using a listbox.

Yep, I thought of that, though it's still kind of weird moving the cursor around... I could have a fake character that you could move to edit the text, but it's quite some work, you know.

Quote from: Rui "Brisby" Pires (a Furry) on Fri 21/10/2005 23:03:37
I understand that the new "String" format has no such character limitation... but I'd appreciate confirmation.

It does have its limits. In fact, I found out about this problem using Strings.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Edmundo on Sat 22/10/2005 00:23:28Yep, I thought of that, though it's still kind of weird moving the cursor around... I could have a fake character that you could move to edit the text, but it's quite some work, you know.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. You mean that you want to be able to click anywhere in the previously written text and insert/edit new text there, like you would in notepad? Yes. I suppose that would take some fancy coding but it's not impossible. As for the fake character, I don't know what you're referring to.

edmundito

Oh, the fake character cursor I meant... like the the | that blinks on windows and such. not too difficult to implement.

Now here's a question... how does one insert periods and commas and semicolons into this, then? the ascii table for ags is... limited.

Hmm.. well, I think the best approach would be the following:

Have a list, and add a text box on top of it where you type.. and then it would cleverly read the is key pressed stuff to move it up and down and so on, as well as the list.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Sorry, just so I can get it straight (early in the morning, brain still waking up) - I meant that the limit I was under the impression that "String"s don't have is the 200 character limit, is that the limit you were referring to?

Kneel. Now.

SSH

Rui: the GUI objects themselves have character limits, too, even if you use Strings.

This sounds like a good thing to have for the coding competition, since there are various way to do it!

Gilbert

If only there will be a coding competition. :=

edmundito

Small suggestion:

Change PlayMP3File to PlayAudio or something more general, and this would not only include OGGs, but also midis, mods, xms, wavs... any audio file that AGS supports...

Also, instead of having the tech forum flooded with suggestions, how about we start a suggestion box similar to the tracker? :)

Gilbert

The tracker can be used for this purpose already, just that only moderators can add entries to it, so they can scan through suggestions made in the forums and decide if it's a good idea to add to the tracker.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk