Displaying single dialog option (IMPLEMENTED)

Started by Radiant, Mon 31/01/2005 12:30:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

If, in a dialog, only a single option is enabled, AGS will automatically trigger that option without user interaction.
By contrast, LucasFilm games still display the dialog menu, even if only a single option is possible.
It would be nice to have a SetGameParameter or something similar that switches between these two behaviors.

Scorpiorus

Yeah, although it seems reasonable to choose the last available option automatically, sometimes it may also be useful to let the player do it. For example, when clicking on a person with a talk cursor should always bring up a list of options for consistency throughout the game, and thus pointing out that it's choosing a certain option that makes you advancing further in a game.

TheMagician

@ Radiant:
Did you just read my post in the beginners technical forum?  ;)

Anyhow, I too think it would be a good thing to implement.
I can't really explain why I'd like it. Perhaps it's a phsychological thing ... first you have to click on something ... then the character says it  .... action - reaction  :)

Radiant

SSH

Well, of course the whole dialog system needs a generalisation to allow custom interfaces

Pumaman

I understand the request, but personally as a player I'm kind of against it. If there are no new things I can say to a character and the only thing available is "Goodbye", I'd much rather they said it automatically so I can skip past quicker.

But it's fair enough to allow you discretion over this as a game designer, so I'll see about adding some sort of horrid game.auto_choose_dialog_option type variable to allow you to change it.

SSH: yeah but this is different, because in this case the dialog options aren't even displayed so a custom handler wouldn't get the chance to draw them either.

SSH

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 31/01/2005 19:44:57
SSH: yeah but this is different, because in this case the dialog options aren't even displayed so a custom handler wouldn't get the chance to draw them either.

Well, I envisioned something like:

int i=0; int n=0;
while (i < dialog[topic].optioncount) {
  if (dialog[topic].option.Enabled) {
    dialoggui.control[n].AsLabel.SetText(dailog[topic].option.Name);
    n=n+1;
  }
  if (n > MAX_DISPLAYED_OPTIONS) { // do some scrolling thing }
  i = i+ 1;
}
if (n==1 && auto_dchoose_only_dialog_option) {

}

So it would be up to the scripter whether they auto-chose the only option...

Scorpiorus

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 31/01/2005 19:44:57I understand the request, but personally as a player I'm kind of against it. If there are no new things I can say to a character and the only thing available is "Goodbye", I'd much rather they said it automatically so I can skip past quicker.
Yeah, choosing of the last available option makes sence when it's something different than a simple "goodbye" (especially when the "say" option isn't ticked for a reason). There seem to be a nice workaround (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=18955.0) but I'd like to know if it's ok to do that way; I mean, having a blank option or is it something that can lead to errors? It can also be used for other purposes like having a default response when there are no options left, etc.

Pumaman

Yep, adding a blank dialog option will make it unclickable and is a good workaround :)

simulacra

I agree with this suggestion. I am working on a first-person game where the main character's lines aren't displayed on screen after being clicked and have had some problems with the game engine automatically selecting a line that the player never sees.

If blank options are a workaround, that would be great!

strazer

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 13/11/2004 21:02:00
Changes from Beta 15 to Beta 16:
* Added game.show_single_dialog_option to specify that the dialog option should be displayed, even if only one is available.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk