Rob & Zender:Intergalactic detectives

Started by pananag, Thu 17/02/2005 00:50:24

Previous topic - Next topic

pananag

I'm developing  an humorous science fiction adventure called Rob & Zender: Intergalactic detectives, which I hope to become a series of games.For the moment the complete title of this part of the series is Rob & Zender: Intergalactic detectives in 'The five artifacts of grace'.In this game you control two characters 1) agent Robert Miles , who is a brilliant but  sloppy intergalactic detective working for the GAI (Galactic Agency of Investigation) and 2) Zender who is a cunning alien (a Zardonian specifically), a classic space rogue.

The story takes place in 2309 almost three centuries after the 3rd World War ,in which mankind was led almost to extinction. After this war, humanity urged to rebuild Earth ,promising never to fall in the same trap. And the progress made was impressive, with the whole planet having been reconstructed in a few decades and with great innovations being introduced,the most important of which was travelling at speeds greater than light's speed. It was then ,when man decided to expand  to the space and search for alien civilizations. Today ,(2309 A.D) this dream is a true as many alien civilizations were discovered and trade as well as friendly relationships were established. Because of the need for a ruling and controlling factor,the Intergalactic Democracy(I.D) was created, in which Earth had the prominent place.Everything seems to be under control and anybody to be satisfied. The Intergalactic Democracy guarantees for the safeguarding of each of its members. But there are some , a minority, that are opposed to this practice and question the I.D's authority.These people have organised  groups  with their ultimate purpose to overthrow I.D. But because they don't have the means and the money  ,they have to resort to alternative methods.Some of them rely on supernatural means,  such as searching for magic artifacts, studying ancient scripts etc.

(Everything mentioned in the previous paragraph was the general story background.Now I will  continue to  the main story plot)

The story begins with Zender sitting in a bar in a Mars colony , discreetly listening to two men discussing. One of the men mentions sth about a very expensive artifact (worth 100.000 spakanuks!!!) and this wins Zender's interest. Using his abilities he manages to steal the artifact and  gets away unnoticed heading to the earth in order to sell the invaluable artifact(a sparkling fruit). At the same moment agent Robert Miles has just returned at his house after his morning jogging,when he receives a call from his foreman , the Commander of Space Station HQ1, calling him urgently to report at his office.
  While on his way to Earth Zender is captured by patrols from space station HQ1 , because he denied to be checked for cargo authentication and he is evidently put in the detention room of the space station.
   When Robert arrives at space station HQ1 , he is informed from the Commander that an expendition which was sent  to investigate a mysterious archeological site on Mars in order to find an artifact was attacked by a group of terrorists and was completely exterminated,the artifact not to be found.While Robert asks Commander about details ,a report referring to the captured Alien spaceship (Zender's of course)  cargo arrives at the hands of the Commander. Reading it he is shocked when among others he reads '-a sparkling fruit.'....

All above consist the story described in the introduction chapter.As for the '5 artifacts' and their origin,that will be revealed  as the plot expands.

Until now , the graphics for the Intro chapter are complete (maybe they need some more detail ),the interface is complete (I used my own interface because I never liked the Sierra style interface), all the intro chapter is playable (yet there is work to be done especially concerning interactions, descriptions of objects etc), there is music (but is about to be replaced), traces of sound (only when scoring and obtaining items).

I'm sorry if  what I wrote doesn't make a clear meaning , but you see I'm not a native English speaker (I'm from Greece). Don't worry the game will be in English. (Specifically only in English, there are not plans for a Greek version yet!).At the moment it will probably contain many mistakes, but I will revise it with my English teacher.

I'm posting these 3 images I have already posted in the critics lounge

Thank you for taking time to read this post.Waiting patiently for your comments.

Joacim Andersson

Looks very promising. What did you use to render the characters?

pananag

To tell you the truth I have always considered character design the most difficult part.
When I started developing this game , it was the only thing that could prevent me from going on , because I couldn't create fitting characters.

Possibly I would have abandoned the project ,if I had'nt  bought  a magazine which offered  a free full version of Poser.I bought it, installed it and voila , here are my characters.

What I do now is to  export characters from poser as 3d objects, import them in blender ,where I modify them further.(animating them, applying textures, adding clothes, hair etc)

This version of Poser I have is rather old (v3.0) and has no options for modifying the built-in models and a limited database,but more recent versions (4,5) have built-in editors and huge databases

Pizzaman

Isn't Robert Miles a trance musician?  the guy who created the popular "Children" track.

-Pizzaman

Iv4n

Rob as name is ok. But Zender? Maybe Zen or Zed.

Kinoko

For some reason, that bar scene totally appeals to me. I can't explain why. Perhaps it just reminds me of so many other adventure games with them. Even Space Quest 5... I don't know. All I know is, I like that scene.

pananag

I never knew that there was someone famous with the same name and of course I don't refer to him in my game. It seems I'll have to come up with a new surname for Rob.

Although it still lacks detail,the bar scene is one of my favorites too.

pananag

I'm just adding one more screenshot (it's a modification of the second one from the first set)

Krazy

Looks pretty cool, good luck with it!
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk