The AGS Awards - Nominations start February 20th and end March 6th!

Started by Pesty, Sun 20/02/2005 17:20:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Sektor 13

Quote from: Pesty on Tue 08/03/2005 08:40:34
Quote from: Sektor 13 on Tue 08/03/2005 08:08:56
i thought that they have somekind of program that counts games votes and report the results..  ::) :)

Yes, that program is called Pesty and A Piece of Paper.

....  it's not gonna hurt being a day or two late.

Hmm you never know :D

MillsJROSS

The reason there isn't a program, is there are too many variable within the voting process. Because we had to type in the games, there is bound to be spelling errors. So making a program to count everything won't be accurate.

-MillsJROSS

AGA

Given there was a list of all applicable entries, the more sensible option would have been to have a checkbox system for all the voteable games in each category. It would have made the page a little larger, but collating votes at the end would have been much, much simpler. Maybe an idea for next time 'round...

Pumaman

I think the reason we decided against that last time was because there's always one or two games that get left off the list accidentally, and people wouldn't be able to nominate them if it was a fixed list.

However, don't worry -- the actual voting stage is a selection from the fixed list of nominees, so the vote counting is automatic.

edmundito

Thanks, Pesty, for taking over the Awards this year.

It just sounds like you have a lot of counting to do with this "Pesty and Piece of Paper" software. Who made it, was it that Chris Jones?
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

MillsJROSS

QuoteGiven there was a list of all applicable entries, the more sensible option would have been to have a checkbox system for all the voteable games in each category. It would have made the page a little larger, but collating votes at the end would have been much, much simpler. Maybe an idea for next time 'round...

The trick with this technique, is you have more work in the actual set up process. I think our real problem, lies in our slack to do this until it's actually time. If someone kept updating the new games comming out consistently throughout the year, the workload would be less when it comes to nomination time.

As far as a check box technique, I agree this would be better. We could always add an other option next time, should there be any games that were missed. Of course, this is all easy for me to say, considering I'm not doing any of the work.

-MillsJROSS

SSH

Surely sorting the results into alphabetical order, even if there are typos, will make the counting a lot easier?

AGA

Quote from: MillsJROSS on Wed 09/03/2005 03:40:55If someone kept updating the new games comming out consistently throughout the year, the workload would be less when it comes to nomination time.

I actually did this as part of my Underground work until about the middle of last year, but then I got lax and forgot all about it. Then I deleted the list because I'm stupid.

One way of doing this next time around would be for CJ to add a date-added field to the AGS games database, assuming there isn't already one. Or some kind of plugin to the forums that made an addition to a list every time a new Completed Game Announcements thread was started. Both would take minimal time for a 1337 programm0r like CJ, and would make next year's Awards organiser's job a lot easier.

Sektor 13

this is getting ZZZ  ;D I think "brain" computer needs more RAM :D  ;D joke

Pumaman

Quote from: AGA on Thu 10/03/2005 15:38:40
One way of doing this next time around would be for CJ to add a date-added field to the AGS games database, assuming there isn't already one.

Ooops, I meant to do this ages ago and then totally forgot. It's now added to the game Detail pages.

Of course, you'd still need to check the forums to compile the Awards list, since not all games get added to the Games page.

Pesty

So here's an update. This week has been insanely busy for me and I haven't had time to finish up the nomination tallies. This, coupled with the fact that the week after next I'll be gone from the 19th to the 26th, I'm going to announce the nominations and start the voting on Sunday, March 13th and the ceremonies will happen the day after I come back (hopefully). This gives you all two weeks to vote for the winners. I'm very sorry for the delay, midterms are a bitch.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

DGMacphee

I sympathise Pesty. Last year, I had to tally and announce the nominees and make sure everyone could vote a few hours before I packed my bags and left for a trip to Melbourne.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

alkis21

This is really disturbing for me.. I was away in Buenos Aires on a business trip and I only saw that thread today! I really hope some people nominated Other Worlds. :(

Radiant

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk