Star Wars Movies

Started by Matchew, Tue 22/02/2005 15:03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

MiteWiseacreLives!

I don't care if it's Disney, I'm pretty stoked  :-D

Ryan Timothy B

I don't follow Star Wars much, but after having seen both teaser trailers, I'm QUITE certain the main protagonist is the girl we see in both videos. She's likely Luke's daughter or possibly his niece.

I believe it follows closely to the idea of what they're trying to do with the Ghostbusters reboot. If they were to get a bunch of random male actors to reboot the franchise it would feel like a violation against what we all used to love. But with female characters it would feel like a completely different movie - one I'd personally be more excited about than a male cast reboot. There would be no "He's not a good Bill Murray/Dan Aykroyd etc" because they're women versions of these characters - they're not supposed to be the same.

Cassiebsg

Uhm... now... where to get a babysitter around x-mas time??... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Ryan Timoothy on Tue 21/04/2015 18:54:13
I don't follow Star Wars much, but after having seen both teaser trailers, I'm QUITE certain the main protagonist is the girl we see in both videos. She's likely Luke's daughter or possibly his niece.

I was thinking the same thing! They don't give away who Luke is talking to but it's obviously a family member, which made me wonder how they were going to slot in a "Luke is married with children" plot when Jedi ends with no romantic love interest by his side. It would just feel weird I think.

I think it is more likely that Luke followed the "don't fall in love" monk-like way of the Jedi and that he is talking to the daughter of Han and Leia who is, like you said, the girl we see in the trailer. We also see a light-sabre handed off to a female hand when Luke is talking about his sister Leia, but the hand looks too young to me to be Leia's hand. I think this is Luke passing his sabre to his niece. Although it would be awesome to see Leia in a light-sabre fight all using the Force and shit for once!

I've also been thinking on the possible plot and how it might tie in with "The Force Awakens". I'm thinking that we are going to learn something new about the "balance" of the Force, in that the Force grows strong on the good side in proportion to how strong it is on the dark side. So if the dark side ever grows stronger for some reason the good side grows likewise so as to be able to combat it.

So, after the fall of the Empire, the defeat of the Emperor, and the return of Vader to the good side, the Force's strength toned down for many years on both sides, so as to be hardly noticable. But now a new dark threat has appeared (the guy with the light-broadsword and the bobba-esque helmet) and so the Jedi have started noticing that the Force is growing stronger once more, meaning it's time to fight again. This would explain the movie's title and also the fact that there is a need for Luke to re-explain the Force to his niece.

Just my own theories of course. I haven't read any of the books or followed any leaks on fansites or anything so I'm probably completely wrong.

Darth Mandarb

One of the things that surprised me most (and nobody seems to be talking about it, which is odd given the level of discussion and guesswork that goes on with new Star Wars material) is Luke clearly says, "The force is strong in my family.  My father has it.." 

Well if this new movie is taking place 30+ years after the events of Return of the Jedi (notably the death of Darth Vader) shouldn't be have said "had it" instead? 

JJ Abrams is quite good at loading hints and clues into pre-release stuff and I'm wondering if this is significant in some way.

Quintaros

I think Luke's voice over is lifted directly from Return of the Jedi when he tells Leia that she is his sister.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Quintaros on Wed 22/04/2015 17:03:02I think Luke's voice over is lifted directly from Return of the Jedi when he tells Leia that she is his sister.

Nope [fan boy alert], they are similar but quite different (in inflection and phrasing).

For example in Jedi he says, "The force runs strong in my family" and in the new trailer it's "The force is strong in my family".

It could be b-roll audio (different takes) from RotJ though (because Luke's voice sounds younger) but I think it's new audio.

Time will tell I guess!

Quintaros

Ok.  Well if it is a new line I'd speculate that Luke is still in communication with ghost Anakin as he was with Obi-wan after his death.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Quintaros on Wed 22/04/2015 17:28:31Ok.  Well if it is a new line I'd speculate that Luke is still in communication with ghost Anakin as he was with Obi-wan after his death.

Yeah that was my reasoning as well (I just really hope it's not Hayden Christensen).

I have often wondered if Jedi, when becoming "one with the force", retain their abilities with the force.

Perhaps I will finally have the answer!

Quintaros

I'd be okay with Christensen since I think he might do better under another director's direction.  Plus it would be kind of interesting to see an older Luke conversing with a younger father.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Quintaros on Wed 22/04/2015 17:48:34he might do better under another director's direction

VERY valid point! 

I've seen him in other things and didn't think he was quite as horrible as he was as Anakin in the prequels.  There are certain actors that I call "Director's Actors" who are only good when they have a talented director to pull a good performance out of them.  He could be one such.

Mandle

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 22/04/2015 18:13:56
Quote from: Quintaros on Wed 22/04/2015 17:48:34he might do better under another director's direction
There are certain actors that I call "Director's Actors" who are only good when they have a talented director to pull a good performance out of them.  He could be one such.

To be fair though: It is considered a part of an actor's duty to follow the direction given to them. And knowing what a control freak Lucas is then it follows that he must have been telling Christensen "Good, good! But let's try it again with a bit less passion! Internalise your feelings!" or somesuch. It's not like the actors were working without guidance as most of them give wooden performances, so this must have been what Lucas was aiming for, and it's their job to follow the director's vision.

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 22/04/2015 16:32:01
One of the things that surprised me most (and nobody seems to be talking about it, which is odd given the level of discussion and guesswork that goes on with new Star Wars material) is Luke clearly says, "The force is strong in my family.  My father has it.." 

Well if this new movie is taking place 30+ years after the events of Return of the Jedi (notably the death of Darth Vader) shouldn't be have said "had it" instead? 

JJ Abrams is quite good at loading hints and clues into pre-release stuff and I'm wondering if this is significant in some way.

My mate and I noticed this and came to the same conclusion: That he is talking about the spirit of his father still existing.

One thing I would nitpick in this speech is "The Force is strong in my familly...My father has it...etc":

Is this even the right terminology? To "have" the Force? Shouldn't it be the ability to "control" the Force or "use" the Force?

The Force is supposed to be everywhere and in everything so saying that you "have" the Force seems a bit weird to me and I don't think it's ever been said like that before: "The Force is strong in this one"..."May the Force be with you"...sure...

But: "Keep an eye on that one: He has the Force!"...nope...

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 22/04/2015 23:16:18To be fair though: It is considered a part of an actor's duty to follow the direction given to them.

Fair enough!  I make no distinction between the two points though.  Whether it's a shitty director or an actor that needs a good director the end result is a shitty performance either way! (nod)

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 22/04/2015 23:16:18Is this even the right terminology? To "have" the Force? Shouldn't it be the ability to "control" the Force or "use" the Force?

I think, well to my mind at any rate, this is one of the ways the prequels messed with the over-all mythology of Star Wars.  Before the prequels the force was this mystical energy that some people (jedi/sith) could tap into.  It made it magical (like the jedi were the Merlins/Magicians of a far, far away galaxy).  So, in OT terms, it makes sense to say "have" the force [ability].  Then those freak'n stupid midichlorians had to go and make it something biological just ruining the cool mystical quality the force had before 1999.  I'm hoping against all hope that all movies moving forward just pretend like midichlorians never were mentioned.  They are the Keyser Soze of the Star Wars universe. POOF. They're gone.

Mandle

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 23/04/2015 00:33:18
Quote from: Mandle on Wed 22/04/2015 23:16:18Is this even the right terminology? To "have" the Force? Shouldn't it be the ability to "control" the Force or "use" the Force?

I think, well to my mind at any rate, this is one of the ways the prequels messed with the over-all mythology of Star Wars.  Before the prequels the force was this mystical energy that some people (jedi/sith) could tap into.  It made it magical (like the jedi were the Merlins/Magicians of a far, far away galaxy).  So, in OT terms, it makes sense to say "have" the force [ability].  Then those freak'n stupid midichlorians had to go and make it something biological just ruining the cool mystical quality the force had before 1999.  I'm hoping against all hope that all movies moving forward just pretend like midichlorians never were mentioned.  They are the Keyser Soze of the Star Wars universe. POOF. They're gone.

I totally agree about the midichlorians...I almost STOOD UP right THERE in the movie theater and laid an Annie Wilkes down on everyone when they introduced that bull-turd:

This isn't what happened last series!
Have you all got amnesia?
They just cheated us!
This isn't fair!
THERE WEREN'T NO COCK-A-DOODIE MIDICHLORIANS!!!

But I do have to disagree that "having the Force" would have made more sense in the original series as opposed to the prequels. I think it makes less sense in the framework of the originals where it was an energy that infuses the entire universe, which the Jedi can use but can't be said to possess as a personal attribute.

The confusing midichlorians thing does also make it seem that you could say that the Force is present in somebody if they have a specific biological makeup, but in this case I would also say that this only makes them more able to "Use the Force" rather than possess it...

The whole "has the Force" thing still bugs me:

It kinda sounds like Austin Powers' "Mojo"...

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 23/04/2015 15:59:32But I do have to disagree that "having the Force" would have made more sense in the original series as opposed to the prequels. I think it makes less sense in the framework of the originals where it was an energy that infuses the entire universe, which the Jedi can use but can't be said to possess as a personal attribute.

Very interesting how we see the same thing so differently.

I guess, to make an analogy to support my view, I would relate it to radio waves.

They surround us every day but unless you have a receiver (radio) you, technically, can't have the signal. 

Jedi/Sith have some kind of magical receiver that gives them the signal (Force).

Though I kind of always thought by saying, "I have the Force", was more just a short-hand way of saying, "I have [access to] the Force" -or- "I have [the ability to use] the Force".

So that would bring our two views more in-line I think.

Mandle

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 23/04/2015 16:20:51
Though I kind of always thought by saying, "I have the Force", was more just a short-hand way of saying, "I have [access to] the Force" -or- "I have [the ability to use] the Force".

Exactly...short-hand! But I don't think this short-hand form was ever used in any of the movies.

Imagine if instead of "Luke....use the Force..." the line had been "Luke...you have the Force..."

Or if instead of "The Force is strong in this one..." we had got "This one has a strong Force..."

Or if instead of "May the Force be with you..." it had been "The Force is in you..."

My point is exactly yours as well that the Force is an outside energy that these individuals channel through them...

So it just seems weird to me for the teaser to say "My father has it...I have it...My sister has it...". If this had been referring to the "ability to use" the Force then I wouldn't have any issues. But the "it" pronoun is the actual Force in the context of the dialogue...

Just weird sounding to me...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 23/04/2015 00:33:18
I think, well to my mind at any rate, this is one of the ways the prequels messed with the over-all mythology of Star Wars.  Before the prequels the force was this mystical energy that some people (jedi/sith) could tap into.  It made it magical (like the jedi were the Merlins/Magicians of a far, far away galaxy).  So, in OT terms, it makes sense to say "have" the force [ability].  Then those freak'n stupid midichlorians had to go and make it something biological just ruining the cool mystical quality the force had before 1999.

Interestingly, I thought the same about this. In fact, from the very first of the new movies, I had a feeling that the magic has been taken from the film.
Another thing is the characters. It's funny to notice how common the original movie characters were. You looked at them, and you saw real people, not born to be heroes. Now it is all about glamour and bad-ass.
(But then again, this may be a general difference in movie generations.)
(E: And, lol, do I sound like an old grumpy man?)

Mandle

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 26/04/2015 00:36:00
(E: And, lol, do I sound like an old grumpy man?)

"Dang these young whippersnappers with all their new-fangled midichlorians!!!"

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 26/04/2015 00:36:00Interestingly, I thought the same about this. In fact, from the very first of the new movies, I had a feeling that the magic has been taken from the film.
Another thing is the characters. It's funny to notice how common the original movie characters were. You looked at them, and you saw real people, not born to be heroes. Now it is all about glamour and bad-ass.
I agree whole-heartedly. 

Not just the magic of the force but the magic of the entire film(s).

Just so dead-pan and full of such sloppy writing.  Everybody was terrified of challenging Lord Lucas so nobody told him just how shit the scripts were.  So, instead, they just dumped so many visual effects into the movie that it felt like a cartoon.

I'm working on a website called "HowIWouldHaveDoneIt.com" where I explain how it should have been done and point out where it went so horribly wrong.  The hi-light/showcase I plan to launch with are the Star Wars prequels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk