This backround style. Is it OK?

Started by KrisMacDee, Mon 21/02/2005 11:47:27

Previous topic - Next topic

KrisMacDee

Here is a background I have made for my game ' When September Ends'.
[img width= 640 length=480]http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/Ma_room.bmp[/img]
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away and you've stolen his shoes! - Billy Connelly

Khris

Darth Mandarb

It's certainly not bad ...

I have a few concerns:

1) The bottoms of the bed carry off the screen ... so the only place for the player to walk is in between the beds?

2) The bottom of the mattresses don't appear to continue down past the foot board ... you can't see them where the slats are, and you should be able to.

3) The curtains seem to vanish into the window frame, it just looks a little odd.

4) Is there going to be a chair for the computer?  This would also cut down on the 'walkable' areas for the player.

5) The perspective seems a bit on the odd side ...

Other than those concerns I think you have a good start to a background here.  Shading and details are the key.

Good luck!

Indie Boy

Ok, Bmps are a nono, I did it for my first post too but you should read the stickies(sure it said somewhere about it :-\) I see that your using MSpaint I did use it but have a look at some free drawing software, personly I use UPaint and GIMP. Yeah the perspective is a bit funny something to work at.

Potter thinks(BigMac I no sum1 called that ??? PM if you are who I think you are <ATM>)
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

KrisMacDee

Thanks for your comments Potter, Darth Mandarb and khrismuc.

Darth Mandarb I see what you mean about the beds and the curtains.But the chair would as you said take up more space. Potter, where do u get Upaint? And khrismuc I tried to convert the pic using Ags by importing it then exporting it as an GIF.  But the colours came out funny. Am I doing something wrong
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away and you've stolen his shoes! - Billy Connelly

Gilbert

Hmmm I'll comment on the colours:
Blue curtains, blue shelf, blue pillows, blue picture, blue floor...

Actually that didn't annoy me much (I'll say they can be left unchanged) but:
Blue carpet on blue floor?
Moreover that carpet blends with the floor, making it looks like a pile of sand rather than some solid rectangular object (unless it's not a carpet, it's really a pile of sand), I'll suggest you may:
(a) change the carpet to a solid[/i] colour, and/or
(b) change it to some other colour so it will stand out from the floor.

KrisMacDee

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Tue 22/02/2005 10:34:26
Hmmm I'll comment on the colours:
Blue curtains, blue shelf, blue pillows, blue picture, blue floor...

Actually that didn't annoy me much (I'll say they can be left unchanged) but:
Blue carpet on blue floor?
Moreover that carpet blends with the floor, making it looks like a pile of sand rather than some solid rectangular object (unless it's not a carpet, it's really a pile of sand), I'll suggest you may:
(a) change the carpet to a solid[/i] colour, and/or
(b) change it to some other colour so it will stand out from the floor.

That really tickled me. I see what you mean it does seem to merge with the floor. I'm just fixing that just now. Back soon.

Bigmac

KrisMacDee

Right here is what I have done so far.
[img width= 640 height=480]http://www.2dadventure.com/Ma _Room.gif
[/img]

I realise the colours are off but it happened while converting it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Khris

After uploading to 2dadventure.com, you get a page with a direct link to the file. Just copy this to the clipboard and paste it into here. Saves you from typos.

Get TheGimp, then export the pic as png. Gif sometimes messes up the colors.
(Gimp is completely free and very professional.)

BTW, there's a Preview-button to check what you're posting here.
width=*640
www.2dadventure.com/ags/Ma*_Room.gif

DoorKnobHandle

Your background pretty much improved.

You should consider changing those red/green lines on the carpet and maybe change this "design" on the carpet as well.
Also need to show more clearly what is underneath the desk. I really can't figure it out. Looks like white space to me... (Maybe you could put a chair in his room as well!)

After fixing those issues, I would go ahead with shading...

Good work after all.

EDIT: Oh, are you still working on that carpet? Everything has an outline except the carpet. It definately needs one ;)

KrisMacDee

The thing under the computer is a printer. >:(

cpage

Okay I have a few comments

1. I'm not sure if you want to fix perspective or not alto it would probablyÃ,  help the picture make more sense.
2. Shading is always a plus in backgrounds it makes things look alot better
3. I stared a thread a long time ago that lists paint programs you can find it Here
BUT i dont have anything against you staying with paint as i love that little program it has all you really need for doing backgrounds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk