A train station... somewhere (first uploaded piccy, please don't mock!)

Started by Huw Dawson, Fri 04/03/2005 21:52:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw Dawson

Heh. Please don't mock, this is only my 20th or so go. It's suppost to be a train station with a train in it. It's streached, so don't go on about blockiness. The original picture can be founcd here: http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/trains.PNG

And this is my first go (I used a combo of Paint and PSP 5 for this :))

What do you think? Good or bad? Improvements or tips? I accept destructive critisism, cash or cheque. :P
Post created from the twisted mind of Huw Dawson.
Not suitible for under-3's due to small parts.
Contents may vary.

lo_res_man

Quite nice, a kind of cartoony style. if I may make a suggestion, trains usully MOVE. halving the train part of the backround doesn't go well if you want to use it in a GAME.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Khris

Some things I noticed:

-no descriptive text on the Lost Kitty poster
-the shadow on the column wouldn't curve like that, it'd be straight.
-the column and ground/platform suggest an angled perspective, but the train has no depth.
-that's why it looks like the train is as flat as a cardboard and nailed to the building
-the train is very short, and it ends right after the door
-the train's floor and the ground/platform aren't the same height.

Huw Dawson

Not to sound picky or anything, but could you give me some tips? I cannot get that train straight. Ever. Help!  ???
Contents may vary.

Khris

I did a quick paintover to give you some ideas.

I didn't finish the column, though.

Huw Dawson

Thanks Khrismuc. :D It looks a heck of a lot better now. I'll have a go at the column then I'll upload it. :)

*A small ammount of painting later*

and larger:

I changed the poster on the wall, highlighted the right side of the column, and... umm... not much elseÃ,  :-\

things I've learned: Flatness is bad. Detail is good. :P Spending lots of time on a room is also good. :)
Contents may vary.

Damien

Those train doors slide to a side when they open, right? If yes, then they would have a probem doing so, since there would be no room for it. I suggest making them the same width as windows, and adding some empty space to the each side of them (about as wide as one door wing) so they have a place to move.
You could also add some detail to the black spaces below the train, like tracks and rubble, or concrete, trash, etc...
Then you could create a lightsource (or more than one) and shade the background correspondingly.

Keep up at it.

aussie

I would make the front of that train curve out a bit.

Just an idea.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I did two versions, but backgrounds aren't really my thing.  The main things I fixed were:

1.  The sliding doors.  They were over too far so I moved them over a little and shrunk them a little.  I had to remove one window for this so I made the green lining go up and over the cab as well.
2.  The sliding door length.  They were going directly to the floor, but on subway trains the floor is elevated quite a bit.
3.  The engineer window.  I indented it a little.

In version two I added VERY limited shading (to the train only), but I didn't want to overdo it since it wouldn't fit the style of your bg, imo.  You can improve upon it, in any event.  Nice work.

Neutron

Huw Dawson

Thanks for the responce guys!

Just a couple of notes:

@ProgZmax: I don't think people would like to jump off a train like that. Note the height between the sliding doors and the platform. ;) It's nice though.

@Neutron: I think yours is my favorite. The doors arn't meant to be sliding, their sort of open-shut ones like standard doors but on Hydraulics. The windows really add depth. I might just use that one in "Jo Joules - Prolouge to Insanity" if I can ever get around to making it. :P Kinda preoccupied by Sam N Max and Day of the Tentacle that I just got at the mo.  ;D
Contents may vary.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk