Help me improve my practise background!

Started by HillBilly, Sun 13/03/2005 19:11:21

Previous topic - Next topic

HillBilly

Okay, so I'm trying to improve my mad gradient colour skillz. The background isn't finished, so not only do I need suggestions on how to improve the current look, but also ideas for what the hell I'm supposed to fill it up with. And yes, I am gonna put some images in those frames.Ã,  ;)

I'm also gonna experiment on adding a lamp somewhere. Most probably a broken one, so I don't need to change the colours too much.Ã,  :D

Helm

This is very good as it is. The only think I'd consider adding to that style would be some minor highlights, as in this small edit:

to bring out the volume more. Though obviously, you should do them with vectors too, instead of paintbrushing them in as I did. .
WINTERKILL

HillBilly

That looks better, but it's rather hard to do. But, I guess that something I can practise on... later. ;)

Thanks for the reply!

TheYak

I really like the style.  It's one of the few backgrounds where gradients work well.
If you're dead-set against adjusting lighting/coloring then ignore this but the light-source seems to be too much to our left.  It looks as though the TV is the source of light for the room. 

I dunno about you, but in a room like that, I'd have the TV pointed a bit more towards the armchair.  The chair's lighting makes it look as though it's catching quite a bit of light towards something (the pillow especially) so it's mainly the floor that throws me off.  Of course, if you redirected the lighting on the floor, the doorknob's lighting would be a bit too bright for its received light. 

What program are you using?  If photoshop or some other layered bit, it wouldn't be that difficult to do the highlighting Helm mentioned.  Just throw an adjustment layer over it and use a low opacity brush (or eraser if you're doing it in reverse) to give the highlights even shading.

HillBilly

I use flash MX. If you've tried it, you would know it would be kinda difficult to add those kind of fancy highlights.

And yes, I was aiming for the lightsource to be on the left. But you're right, I should probably tune down a bit on the doorknob and the chair blanket.

Thanks!

TheYak

With Flash MX, you ought to be able to place vectors with gradients and transparency, right? It would be a bit of work but not that much more than in photoshop...  and, of course, nobody's saying you have to do it entirely in Flash (I need to get around to learning that someday).  I love the line-smoothing bit, particularly since I use a tablet.

Ionias

First off let me say that this is an awesome background. I like the style and the layout. The room feels cozy and warm, pleasing on the eyes. If you wanted some ideas of what to fill the room up with here is a quick edit:

As far as suggestions on how to improve the current look. I think if you fill the room in with a few more objects and follow helm's highlights idea this background will be perfect.

refoops

Absolutely great work mate, It's probably just my but it seems to get a little to dark around the bottom right side maybe?. It just makes it feel sorta of a gloomies darkish feeling. Just my opinion.  Overall great backrgound.

jannar85

Looks good, but there seems to be something wrong with the carpet?
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

TheYak

Happy thread anniversary!  No, wait.  That was two months ago that this thread was a year old.  Sorry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk