AGS Awards Nominees Announced!

Started by Pesty, Sun 13/03/2005 22:24:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesty

The nominees are tallied and the list is in! Voting isn't quite ready to begin, but you can look at the list and maybe play some of the games you haven't played yet!

http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/Prelim.htm

Congratulations to all the nominees! Once voting starts, you'll have two weeks to get your votes in, so start thinking about who you want to vote.Once voting is over, there will be an awards ceremony on IRC to announce the winners.

Edit: Voting has begun! Go here to vote: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/awards.php?action=dovote
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Snarky

Hmmm... I guess this means I will finally have to play No-Action Jackson. Goddammit! That game is so freaking buggy.

Why didn't development move beyond beta? And how did people think to nominate it for best scripting?

MrColossal

I played it all the way through without any bugginess... I wonder what other people did
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

edmundito

I wanted to help with the awards somehow, and I always thought that the nominations page could have all the download links and stuff, so that people (like me) don't make up excuses that they can't find the games or feel pressured on the voting page, so I did this:

<link removed - see first post>

Enjoy!
(feel free to replace it with the real nominations page and I'll edit this topic respectively)
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Pesty

Thanks, Netmonkey. It's been replaced. The original one was messy anyway, so this works better for a few reasons.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

MichaelJackson

Votes in, pity Other Worlds only got in for Best Documentation, but I suppose I should have bothered to nominate games.

Oh well, some great games all the same! Good luck to all of you.  ;D

Andail

Hehe, I think this year shows more evidently than ever before what I have always said about people's ability to nominate and vote.
The problem is that as soon as a person finds a game good, they nominate it for whichever category possible, not caring what the category actually stands for.

I have a hard time understanding how the top-games of this year all can be found in each category, when they are fundamentally different in terms of design and style.

Last year wasn't much better. 6-days assassin (an excellent display in style and puzzle ingenuity) was nominated for best story. What story?

I think next time a jury should make the nominations, and let people cast the final votes.

Potch

I'm really surprised as well that Other Worlds wasn't nominated for more awards.  That was one of the best games I played all year!  Oh well.... guess I should have participated in the nominations too.  :-[
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

fovmester

Quote from: Andail on Mon 14/03/2005 11:30:01
Hehe, I think this year shows more evidently than ever before what I have always said about people's ability to nominate and vote.
The problem is that as soon as a person finds a game good, they nominate it for whichever category possible, not caring what the category actually stands for.

I have a hard time understanding how the top-games of this year all can be found in each category, when they are fundamentally different in terms of design and style.

Last year wasn't much better. 6-days assassin (an excellent display in style and puzzle ingenuity) was nominated for best story. What story?

I think next time a jury should make the nominations, and let people cast the final votes.

I second that!!

Snarky

Quote from: MrColossal on Sun 13/03/2005 23:58:29
I played it all the way through without any bugginess... I wonder what other people did

I gave No-Action Jackson another try today, and it wasn't as buggy as I had thought.

I think the issues I had with it the first time around were:

• No shortcut keys for actions
  • A hotspot glitch in the first room which shows a "light fixture" on the floor next to the desk
  • A number of graphical glitches (showing the wrong animation, often with pieces of a different background)
  • The ambient sounds disappearing if you do certain things
  • Dialog topics appearing and disappearing in a confusing fashion
  • The text following you as you move. I didn't like that

Now these are fairly minor bugs. Indeed, some aren't bugs at all, just deficiencies in my subjective view. However, I encountered them all in the first five minutes of playing the game, which was a bit overwhelming. Being under the impression that it was very buggy, I decided to hope for a post-beta release which never arrived.

rtf

Wow, now I realize how long I've been gone.  I need to play these games!
I fail at art.

voh

It's not fair, almost all my votes went to No Action Jackson and Ben Jordan 3... One went to 7 days a skeptic (which I didn't enjoy even half as much as 5 days a stranger...)

I find the nominations, as was mentioned before, quite lacking in diversity. Maybe it'd be a good idea that next time nominations were made both by both the public and a judging panel.

Or maybe it'd be a good idea to limit nominations to 3 or 4 per game or something.

I dunno. It just seems that this isn't really fair to other great games that were released, but weren't as wildly popular..
Still here.

jetxl

So when are the winners anounced. Date? Time? Place?

Reptile

The same handful of games wins almost every award. lol
(Signature removed due to violation of image size rules).

Snarky

Bump, because really it's about time to announce the winners.

jetxl

Pesty

Well here's the deal. I have the winners all ready to announce, but I've been very sick with bronchitis since the Sunday before last, and haven't been able to set up the awards ceremony. I would really like to just announce the winners, but people don't seem to like that idea and want a ceremony. I still can't do it, so if someone is willing to, let me know.

Vel

I gladly would, but I am very inconvenient presently, my plans change every single day. I sure hope someone reliable would host the ceremony though.

Ishmael

I would gladly assist in the ceremony, but probably not host it. But the date should be set early enough so I can confirm that I have nothing else planned for that day. Nothing too special is bound to turn up, apart from what I already have planned.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Phemar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk