AGS Awards Nominations - Disappointment

Started by alkis21, Sun 13/03/2005 23:05:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

One way to do the awards next year would be to set up an open thread for nominations. That way, any forum member can nominate any game for any category. The committee then has to consider all the games that have been nominated, and no others, and pick a list of finalists for each category. Then we all vote to determine the winners.

The first step would make the list of games for the committee to play more manageable. If people are disciplined in their nominations, only games with a reasonable chance at winning need to be considered. But it also means that if at least one person on the forums has played a game and wants it to win, it will get its shot.

edmundito

It's funny that we're talking about marketing and stuff because my favorite Grumpy Gamer has posted something about it, too: http://grumpygamer.com/1230269

Um, but I don't think that if your game is popular it should get all the nominations. I think there needs to be some kind of comitee of some kind to really look at these games and pick the best ones. It might be a daunting task, but it'll be worht it.

I always thought the AGS awards were kind of flawd in that way, because the awards are usually given to those awesome games everyone knows. They don't need more exposure with an award stuck next to their name! Those who need exporsure are games that were somehow overlooked at for whatever reason. Maybe it was because the game was not made by Yahtzee or a game made by a team of known AGSers, or a sequel to a good-looking game, or a game that looked like DOTT, or a game that reminded us of the Monkey Island style.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Problem

Quote from: MrColossal on Tue 15/03/2005 19:17:15
Problem, have you made a game yet? Do you know what it's like to spend a long long time on a game and then finally get it done? Maybe he's very proud of his game and is 1: Shocked that people didn't vote for it more because he loves it and 2: Very proud that his game has gotten the good press that it has. Being proud that people are giving you good reviews doesn't mean that he only made it for the reviews and awards. I think your outlook is pretty awkward and rude.

Yes, you are right. My post was rude, and I apologise for it. I didn't mean to sound rude, and of course I know that alkis didn't make a game because of awards and reviews. I just had the impression that he acted as if it was the most important thing.
Really, there are many quality games who didn't get nominted at all. What if all the creators of these games opened new topics to tell the world how disppointed they are? This can't be the way, and this why I was so annoyed.
Again i apologise for being rude.

(BTW I made several games before I found AGS, so I know about that. But it doesn't matter imo. There is no rule that says "don't post your opinion unless you made a game" as far as I know.)

SSH

Of course, someone could do their own "AGS Demo Awards". I'd offer myself, but I'd have a conflict of interest.

Here's some possible list:

Pap Quest
Noisy Mountain
Project Scooter
Meaning Quest
Poconia: Evil's Resurrection
Heroine's Quest: The Legend of Fair Spring
Satan Has a Dinner Party
Lost In The Nightmare
Ben's Adventure
The Keepers Of Knowledge
A Tale of Two Kingdoms      
The Long Trip
The Artifact
Demo Quest: Source of Dreams
Jeremy's Mission: The Cave
RON: Without a Prayer
The Legacy of Taft
Shadow of the Comet
MOUNT MONKEY
COP - A game inspired by Pleurghburg
Boron-5
King's Quest 2.5
Quest For Glory: A Hero's Death
The Items Collector
STAR WARS Shadows of the Empire: Graphic Adventure
Discarded Realmz - SILENT KNIGHT
Mr.Monster's adventure
Monkey Island 5 : The Return of LeChuck
The Mystery of the Faceless Corpse !
Sunrider
Bad Acid
The "Long Trip" never ends...
Totaskalan
Donjon : free Zongo
The Dungeon (Akumayo)
A Long Kiss Goodnight - Trailer and Cutscenes Available      
Brad Bradson II
EVERLOT DEMO!
The Texan
Awakening of the Sphinx
Terminator: 2031
Murder By Proxy
Erik Parker
Mock's Dark Castle Escape
NightScape
Dick LaRenzo: Secret Agent!
LSL3 remake

Please say if any of these are actually from 2003 or are now full games

Helm

Problem, he wasn't asking if you had made a game because he was insinuating that people who haven't made one shouldn't have the right to discuss these things. He was asking because as you know, having made several games, as you say, when you finish one, you're very very eager to share it and enjoy any of the benefits of exposure.
WINTERKILL

LucasFan

Quote from: MrColossalDo you know what it's like to spend a long long time on a game and then finally get it done?

So I suppose you do, right?

Quote from: ProblemI just had the impression that he acted as if it was the most important thing.

Hehe, yeah. Not just you. I did follow his “promotion-tour” at JA's forums for a while and I think it was just a matter of time until he brings it over here. I don't want to comment his masterpiece but he's definitely a great entertainer. Some of my favourite quotes:

QuoteMy intention was to create the best amateur freeware game ever

QuoteI just added Other Worlds in the 'Full Length Games' section of the AGS site:
<http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?category=1&page=2>
When you all complete the game, I'd appreciate some votes.

QuoteShany: Hey alkis, I started playing your game and it crashed after I tried…
Alkis21: Damn Shany, you're bad publicity for me!

QuoteAnd by the way, whoever finishes the game, please take some time to vote in the AGS site (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk)
* yup, we are still the same thread *lol*

QuoteThis is going better than anything I had imagined.. already reached 500 downloads since Wednesday!Ã,  Ã, According to my site's statistics, I've had visits from countries like China and Singapore!

QuoteThe 1000 downloads pinacle is long gone (1119) after less than two weeks since release date. All five continents are accounted for, people from 63 countries have gotten the game so far. Most were from the United States, some of the other countries: Australia, China, Hong Kong, Brazil, Israel, Singapore, Lithuania, Indonesia, Philippines, Gibraltar, South Africa, Senegal and one Mexican!

QuoteJust wanted to let everyone know that Other Worlds was reviewed in a PC Master magazine (Greece) and got an 85%.

QuoteHere's a really negative one from the Czech Republic, it's a good thing I don't understand what it says as it got a 55%.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want him to stop or anything. I LOVE to read posts like these. :D

Helm

QuoteSo I suppose you do, right?

Eric has made a few excellent games.
WINTERKILL

LucasFan

C'mom, Helm. You know what I mean.

Btw... some more quotes from our friend.
He's cute, isn't he? Check out the JA-board. It's full of great entertainment!Ã,  ;)

Agustin: Maybe claiming that Other Worlds was one of the best adventures, commercial or non-commercial, of 2004 was stretching things a bit too far.

alkis21: Ã, 

Ogre: I just downloaded the game and played it for 30 minutes or so (with speakers out) and gained 48 points, so not very far into it, but I also think the text is pretty amateurish/non-literate.

alkis21: The way I see it, there is a difference between critisism and heckling. Ogre is a heckler of the worst kind, he's not after a discussion, he's looking for a fight, because that's obviously his only way of getting some attention to his pathetic existence.

Vel

Hahahahahahahah

I was sure I'd find something like that on JA+ forums, but I never tried. Thanks Lucasfan, and keep them coming!

Oh and alkis,
QuoteHere's a really negative one from the Czech Republic, it's a good thing I don't understand what it says as it got a 55%.
this quite shows your attitude. The score doesn't matter, the thing that matters is WHY is it given. Or else there'd be no review - just a list of titles and scores. And just out of curiosity, do you know the one who reviewed other worlds in JA personally?

Edit: Hey Alkis, with this you can vote numerous times for your game! http://www.space.net.au/~thomas/quickbrowse.html

Kinoko

Bloody hell alkis ^_^ I'm afraid after reading some of those quotes (thanks Lucasfan! They are funny... should I be ashamed?) I have to say you definitely need to take a more relaxed attitude to your game. Nothing makes a game seem cooler than letting it speak for itself. When you have the creator defending every little thing about it and making it out to be something people should be worshipping, it will get on people's nerves, or at least make them less inclined to play your game.

Just be cool, like with sunglasses on and a backwards cap - the whole deal!

jetxl

I don't know 'Ogre', and quotes are only fragments of posts. So the whole thing is a bit suggestive.

ANYWAY. I'm a bit disapointed that LSL2 isn't nominated since the KQ remakes were always big winners. And Project Xenophobia, who is nominatedÃ,  twice in AG Underground Awards, isn't chosen once. Also, only one BJ game nominated for music...?
But the games that are nominated shine like gold.

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 14/03/2005 00:26:29
I actually think most of the nominations look pretty decent. Yes, we can talk about the games that deserved a nomination and didn't get one, but are there any nominations that seem undeserved? There are a few I would argue with (7DAS for best gameplay? Cirque for best animation? No-Action Jackson for best scripting?), but on the whole they seem fair.
. . .
No-Action Jackson is programmed so he can walk and talk at the same time. Briljant.

Kinoko

Hey, and you can't argue with the masterful animation in Cirque de Zale. I actually hired an animation studio in America just for that animation where he sits up on the beach. I swear, sometimes I forget it's a computer game when I look at it... ^_^

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Vel on Wed 16/03/2005 13:09:27
The score doesn't matter, the thing that matters is WHY is it given. Or else there'd be no review - just a list of titles and scores.

This is quite true.Ã,  Some reviewers will rate certain aspects higher than others, and that Czech site in particular is known for being brutally honest.Ã,  Their reviews of my games have been quite harsh in places, but their criticisms were quite valid (inconsistent artwork, wonky programming, lazy animation).Ã,  It was quite refreshing.Ã,  No other site reviews so many indie games and goes into such detail.Ã,  It shows that they really CARE about the genre.Ã,  Who cares about negative reviews?Ã,  As long as the reviewer takes the time and effort to comment fairly, it can only make you grow as an artist/writer/game maker.Ã, 

Andail

So, evidently, Alkis is quite a pimp. Eric couldn't defend all that pimping even if he put on his most purplest suit!

Kinoko said it best, about not paying too much attention to scores and numbers. I'll just stress you out.

I for one know what it's like to make a game and put it out for public use, and I learnt pretty early on not to care about statistics and votes and whatever. I did however enjoy those personal letters I recieved from people telling me that playing the game actually meant something for them, and even though TW3 is quite a crappy game, this still happens on regular basis. Those things matters. Awards don't, especially not our awards, because they're pretty flawed anyway:)

Sektor 13

Quote from: jetxl on Wed 16/03/2005 14:04:50
I don't know 'Ogre', and quotes are only fragments of posts. So the whole thing is a bit suggestive.

ANYWAY. I'm a bit disapointed that LSL2 isn't nominated since the KQ remakes were always big winners. And Project Xenophobia, who is nominated  twice in AG Underground Awards, isn't chosen once. Also, only one BJ game nominated for music...?
But the games that are nominated shine like gold.

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 14/03/2005 00:26:29
I actually think most of the nominations look pretty decent. Yes, we can talk about the games that deserved a nomination and didn't get one, but are there any nominations that seem undeserved? There are a few I would argue with (7DAS for best gameplay? Cirque for best animation? No-Action Jackson for best scripting?), but on the whole they seem fair.
. . .
No-Action Jackson is programmed so he can walk and talk at the same time. Briljant.

Hey someone remebered my game  :D (project xenophobe).. Well, i dont care if i wasn't in AGS awards, i have Underground :D and some Checz give me 70 % (HREJ.cz), which is good enough for me... i will try to make next game even better, Stargate Adventure, i will announce it soon, under Game Announcement....

MrColossal

Well, I was wrong, Alkis was rude in another forum.

And really, I only read 2 posts from ANOTHER forum that are him being awkward. What is wrong with this:

"And by the way, whoever finishes the game, please take some time to vote in the AGS site (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk)"

HAHAH! OH MAN! He wants people to vote for his game!! Wow! What a... Wait that's lots of people on here...

Anyway, I personally don't see a reason to post more, like vel asked. This isn't the purpose of the agsforums to dig things up on people and drag their name through the mud. If you feel he ruined his own reputation then fine, leave it at that and move on. Now it's time for his second chance.

Eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Andail

No, now it's time to make phridays of Eric in his purple suit! Mwhahaha!!

J/K. You're right, this is nothing to dwell on any further.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk