Please look and be critic

Started by ., Mon 28/03/2005 15:48:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Look at this and tell me (a beginner at drawing) what do you think

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/neeger.bmp

Reptile

Its nice, you should try and sketch out you're character, scane it and then draw over it, it makes it look better. Good job non-the-less.
(Signature removed due to violation of image size rules).

refoops

I serisously hope that name dosn't mean what i think it does....

Scummbuddy

- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

DoorKnobHandle

in german it is correctly spelled except the double 'e' should be a single one...

what it means should be clear to everybody...

Andail

change the name, please. Right now you're using a highly derogatory and racist term.

Snarky

As far as I know, that's not true in many languages. The word just means "black", after all. In European countries where slavery and segregation is not a major part of their history, the negative connotations may not apply.

DoorKnobHandle

Oh yeah, they do... Trust me!

Al_Ninio

Perhaps.
But this is an English speaking forum, and it sounds racist.
Nobody is accusing him of being racist, just saying that the file name is rather offensive.

MrColossal

c'mooon! There aren't any black people on the ags forums! Who cares!

Spoiler
Do I have to even say that this is a joke?
[close]
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Andail

Snarky, I don't get it...you say in some languages, this is not a racist term...so therefore it's no problem?
Should we all pretend that we don't understand it, or what?

The word is, translated to English, "Negroe". Don't you find it a tad tasteless and careless to write such things nowadays?

Eric, what is a joke, your post, or the initial post? 'Cause I'm not really sure.

MrColossal

my post, andail

andail, does it translate to Negro as in the english word Negro? Or is it like negro, the spanish word for black?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Darth Mandarb

Darth's opinion on the holy EN-word
If people would stop getting offended over a stupid and insignificant word, it would lose it's power.

What if colect12 is black?  Remember, black folk are 'allowed' to use the word ...

colect12, if you're black, stay strong brother and don't change the title.

If you're not black you racist pig change the title before people start wettin' their pants!!

DoorKnobHandle

if he's german: in german it translates to:

Spoiler

nigger
[close]

Andail

I just think we should preserve this forum from certain racist symbols.

Is it because the English-speaking members of this forum don't recognise the word that some don't care?

For me, words like "Nigger" have a huge symbolic power. I won't wet my pants, but I'm rather sure it'll have some sort of effect.

Anyhow, I'm a bit tired of debates atm, so someone else can make the call.

Estaog

Did anyone even notice how collect didn't even post back? You probably scared him away, or he's just happy to see you fight.
Think about the kittens man!

http://members.aol.com/johnk0/godkills.jpg

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Andail on Mon 28/03/2005 22:06:24
I just think we should preserve this forum from certain racist symbols.

Is it because the English-speaking members of this forum don't recognise the word that some don't care?

For me, words like "Nigger" has a huge symbolic power. I won't wet my pants, but I'm rather sure it'll have some sort of effect.

Anyhow, I'm a bit tired of debates atm, so someone else can make the call.
I wasn't aiming at you :)  I completely understand how that word offends some.  And I totally agree that I don't want to see it on these forums either.

It's a stupid word that nobody should use, even black people.

Reptile

Quote from: Andail on Mon 28/03/2005 23:23:43
Reptile, a small debate arose, that happens sometimes. That way we can figure out what is wrong and right together.
I don't really see the point with your post, however.

[edit]

[removed]
(Signature removed due to violation of image size rules).

Andail

Reptile, a small debate arose, that happens sometimes. That way we can figure out what is wrong and right together.
I don't really see the point with your post, however.

InCreator

Well, racism-racism once again, some whine to look weak and offended, some actually are and some don't give a damn.

No to potentially/or actually offensive language sounds like a nice way to act so yes, the name should - or at least could be changed.

"Neeger" is definetly a word in Estonian - stands for "nigger" indeed. I believe it's so in some other scandinavian languages too. But since there's even not a 0.01% of black people living around - and wasn't since Jesus was born, this word has always meant black people (somewhere far-far away), especially the ones who live in Africa. Since there's no black people there was also never any racism towards them, there's no "evil" background or meaning for this word. Kids learned at school "this is africa, this is where niggers live" and it was very logical and interesting and never meant any harm. So even media here still uses the word and there's no panic around it. Even now, if someone with black skin walks around the street, people discretly peek him with interest -- as anyone who is different and can't be seen every day! Even with admiration, since it's quite cold in this part of world and black people have always somehow reminding sun, warmth and good tan :). This  is a bit funny, yet the person himself may not understand this and get seriously offended!

Times change and since this is forum is for people all around the word, it would be a good manner to be more careful with words - especially if in other language they mean something offensive/insulting.

But about the picture -
You have a long way to go, but a good start. Make him a bit taller, add colors and avoid black outlines, because if using them, extreme care and attention is needed.

CoffeeBob

In sweden, 'neger' is the normal word we use for 'black people', it's not near as offensive as saying nigger in english. Unless you use it in an offensive sentence, of course, like "Din jävla neger!" (sorry for my langauge, it was just an example of how the non-offensive word can become offensive).
Anyways, for the pic...
As InCreator said, you have a long way to go, but you got off with a good start. When I wake up tomorrow, I'm gonna do a paint-over. Or, well, I can't promise anything, but I'll try. :)

Snarky

Quote from: Andail on Mon 28/03/2005 19:22:59
Snarky, I don't get it...you say in some languages, this is not a racist term...so therefore it's no problem?
Should we all pretend that we don't understand it, or what?

The word is, translated to English, "Negroe". Don't you find it a tad tasteless and careless to write such things nowadays?
Andail, I'm saying that if the word for "black person" in a foreign language happens to resemble an offensive word in English (or German), that's not cause for calling it "highly derogatory and racist". As Largo says, in some languages "neger" is a completely innocent, neutral term. Even the etymology is respectable: it simply means "black".

BlackMan890

Colect12

I love you'r picture, could need a bit shading and details, but is meanly it, i did a paintover:

1x

2x

* I changed the position he was in into a comfortable position
* Added some pockets
* Changed the shoe direction
* Added some shading
* removed the double pixel between the legs

i would recomennd a new thread, since no-one is helping you :) a new start :D

Enjoy :)
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

Please go to www.simnet.is/elinnils52 and download my non ags/adventure game :)

Realy i dont mean it bad way realy

Andail

no worries, Colect, nobody really thinks you're racist, we're just discussing racist symbols here. Sorry for messing up your thread, but it's quite important a subject.

Largo, I beg to differ; in Sweden you might say "neger" jokingly or between friends, but certainly not in any official circumstances. An official media presenting such a word would instantly get sued and stir up a huge debate.

Snarky, practically every germanic language in Europe - and many other languages as well - recognise this word as derogatory and racist (nigger), and that's reason enough to change it, end of story.

Well, enough debating now.

Gilbert

Goel: like your paintover, and the pockets too, but his right hand doesn't seem to be in his pocket (if that's what you wanted), he now looks as if he's doing something... well.. you know... the kind of thing that can create yet more violent discussions. :=

Well i looked a the paintover and i painted it over

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/paintover_of_a_paint_over.bmp

I did these things:
I maked the eyes look better
and I tryd to iprove the pocket so it wont look like he is doing something

fovmester

Quote from: Largo on Tue 29/03/2005 00:06:05
In sweden, 'neger' is the normal word we use for 'black people', it's not near as offensive as saying nigger in english.

What're you saying? We don't say 'neger' for black people in Sweden!? Except maybe if you're from some inbred community in the middle of nowhere, or a nazi!

Don't claim that it's officially used!! We have a healthy official debate about racism in Sweden, and the n-word is something that has been banned long ago!

sedriss

Yeah. Say "Neger" in Sweden, and people will call you a racist right away.

Then again.. if you call someone a "black person" in sweden, some people will claim that you are a racist aswell.Ã,  ::)
By the time you read this you've already read it.

Babar

hahahahahha...sedriss, are saying that while it is unacceptable to call someone a "neger", it is ok (or should be) to call them a black person? Or are you MAKING that point. Now I am confused.
Anyway, jigga ma niggas! I don't understand how while it is unacceptable to use a certain word, the group that the word applied to can use it if they want. I don't want people restricting my freedom to sing rap := !

colect, the hand with the phone is longer than the hand in the pocket
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

CoffeeBob

Quote from: fovmester on Tue 29/03/2005 11:29:06
Quote from: Largo on Tue 29/03/2005 00:06:05
In sweden, 'neger' is the normal word we use for 'black people', it's not near as offensive as saying nigger in english.

What're you saying? We don't say 'neger' for black people in Sweden!? Except maybe if you're from some inbred community in the middle of nowhere, or a nazi!

Don't claim that it's officially used!! We have a healthy official debate about racism in Sweden, and the n-word is something that has been banned long ago!
Ok, I might've expressed myself the wrong way, I know neger is considered a racistic word and all, but what I meant was that it is not near as offensive as the english word nigger. Of course, you don't walk up to a black person and say "hello neger boy!".
Bah, enough of this discussion.
What was I supposed to do... Right! Paint-over. I'll be back! :=

yeah i think the phone hand is longer thanks for notice

CoffeeBob

Ok, I was going to do a paintover that looked like the original, but I ended up doing a completly new sprite.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/Largo/thetallafroperson.bmp
It ended up quite nice, actually, but not perfect.

Ali

Quote from: Babar on Tue 29/03/2005 12:10:08
the hand with the phone is longer than the hand in the pocket

True, but a phone in the hand is worth two in the pocket.

Colect12, you've sorted the biggest problem in your paintover (the afro dissapearing off teh top of the frame), but his eyes are a little intimidating. Try making them light on the outside and dark on the inside, like Largo's example. It's a cliché, but true, that the eyes bring a character to life.

BlackMan890

Yes, i knew i blew up the hand-in-the-pocket, didn't know how to draw :p

Colect12: like you'r sprite, but you could change the shoe style (that is maynly what i wanted to show you in my paintover.)

The bg i created was just to see how he would look in action :)

i will create a good bg, better than the one i showed you in the paintover so we can see how he looks in action
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

Please go to www.simnet.is/elinnils52 and download my non ags/adventure game :)

Haddas

Colect, if you're using paint, is it possible for you to save the image as a .png? That image format has no quality loss AND it's a lot smaller in filesize :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk