"The Great Stroke Off" ATC Winners!

Started by Barbarian, Thu 07/04/2005 07:07:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

*** Old School Point n' Click ***
(ATC Deluxe Edition Winners) ,
Proudly Presents:Ã,  "The Great Stroke-Off" Adventure Game!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find download links from the folowing page:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=540

If the main download link is not connecting, try the Mirror link there.
--------
Credits:
--------
Programming, Story, Voice Narration, Puzzles, Team-Captain: Don "The Barbarian" McPherson.
Visit Barbarian's "Amazing Adventures!" site over at: www.adventure.easyurl.org

All Artwork (Backgrounds, Characters, various Sprites): Adrian "HillBilly" Bernsten.

All Music: Eigen Lenk.

"Drunken Violent Bums" Video Game (Added in after ATC Deadline): Ahmet "CoolBlue-Gord10" Kamil Kelesh.

Jordan "Scuthbert" Burnett: Thanks for the Message Forum we used during development and various game ideas/suggestions.

The incredible AGS Game Engine, without which this game would not be possible: Chris Jones.

A thank you also goes out to all of the wonderful people in the AGS community for helping to keep the spirit of adventure gaming alive and well.

This game is heavy on the "humor" side of things, with a variety of wacky characters, interesting scenes to explore, and an amusing, unique and interesting storyline.

The setting of the story takes place in a type of small "Amusement Park" called "Stickz & Ballz". The main attraction of the park is the Mini-Golf Course (thus the Stickz & Ballz name), as well as a Hunted House of Mirrors and a Video Arcade, plus a large shop with snacks and souvenirs as well as more areas to explore.

The main character in the game that the player will control, goes by the name of Ned Flobolid.

Ned (who is around 16 years old) is working during his "summer-break" at the "Stickz & Ballz" amusement park, which is owned and operated by his Uncle Ernie. His parents gave him the choice to either work there for his Uncle during the summer, or to attend tutoring lessons at summer-school. So, Ned choose to work at the amusement park.

The story takes place during the day of "The Great Stroke-Off Competition", in which teams are competing to win the trophy. During the opening scenes of the game, Uncle Ernie will tell Ned "Half of a Proverb", and make it as a riddle for Ned to solve. So, in the course of the game, Ned will also find the "answer to the riddle of the proverb" as well.

Ned will have to do various tasks, solve various puzzles (some a bit bizarre), and interact with many other characters in the game as the story unfolds.

At one point during the game, Ned can choose to help and befriend one of two opposing teams (One team being a group of "Nerds" and the other team a group of "Punks"). Deciding on which team Ned decides to help win the competition, will decide on what different puzzles Ned may have to solve as well as affecting the direction of the story.

*Notes: This game should run fine on most versions of Windows.

We've done our best to play-test the game in hopes to weed out any bugs, but chances are a couple of bugs may still be hiding... if you find any, please let me know about it.

Comments, questions, feedback is always welcome. We'd love to know what you thought of the game.

We hope you will enjoy this game!Ã, 
Now - "Rock On!"
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Wysefool

Looks great!  :o
I can't wait to play  :D :D

Wysefool

I executed a booze block and wasn't able to unblock

Barbarian

Quote from: Wysefool on Thu 07/04/2005 10:02:04
I executed a booze block and wasn't able to unblock

Click on "Info" on the video game screen for a list of key commands.

But, its Arrow Keys = movement (Left, Right, Up "Jump"),
Z = punch, X = Kick, C = Booze Block, V = Release Booze Block, Escape = Return to video-game menu.

*Note: If nothing happens the first time when pressing a key, try "tapping" it a few times in a row. The "Booze Block" may be reluectant to release if you are currently being attacked, so just tap "V" key a few times in a row. The bums are drunk afterall, so they may be a little bit "slow" to react sometimesÃ,  ;)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Wysefool

I tried every button when it wouldn't unblock - I think V was one of the first I tried.
It could have been that I pressed block several times or some other key, I guess it's not a really big issue or anything.

Wysefool

Ah I reread it, I guess I should have tried tapping it

HillBilly

Yay! It's finished!

I wonder how long it takes before someone discovers the "secret" in the duck hunt game. I bet you're curious now!

Rosie

Ã,  Looks like a cute game, but I am having lots of trouble with it.Ã,  It freezes on me alot and when it does go from one scene to another, it goes black and takes a long time to come back again.Ã,  Anyone else having this problem???

Barbarian

QuoteLooks like a cute game, but I am having lots of trouble with it.  It freezes on me alot and when it does go from one scene to another, it goes black and takes a long time to come back again.  Anyone else having this problem???

It should work fine on most any modern computer system.

If you have an older/slower computer, this may be a part of why the game is running slow.  From the Winsetup file, you can try to adjust a few things to perhaps improve perfomance. Select "No Digital Sound" and "Disable Music", as well as Un-Checking the "Use digital music pack..." and "Use speech pack" options. From the "Advanced" setting you may try adjusting the Maximum Size ram cache to a higher (or possibly lower) number to see if that helps.

Also, disable all background programs you don't need running at the time, as background programs can also slow down the overal performace of programs you want to run as well.  Okay, those are just a few suggestions to try.

What version of windows you running? You could perhaps try installing the most recent drivers for your graphics-card and recent version of DirectX if you haven't already done so (do so at your own risk though, and it's good to make a "System Checkpoint" before making such changes).

Good luck.

BTW: I hope everyone is enjoying the game so far.  :)

Phoenix

Quote from: HillBilly on Thu 07/04/2005 14:18:27
I wonder how long it takes before someone discovers the "secret" in the duck hunt game. I bet you're curious now!
Is it something to do with the wee half circle at the right hand side?
Hello Tomorrow Goodbye Yesterday

HillBilly

Quote from: Phoenix on Thu 07/04/2005 21:34:24
Quote from: HillBilly on Thu 07/04/2005 14:18:27
Is it something to do with the wee half circle at the right hand side?

Nope.

Rosie

Quote from: Barbarian on Thu 07/04/2005 21:17:59
QuoteLooks like a cute game, but I am having lots of trouble with it.  It freezes on me alot and when it does go from one scene to another, it goes black and takes a long time to come back again.  Anyone else having this problem???

If you have an older/slower computer, this may be a part of why the game is running slow.  From the Winsetup file, you can try to adjust a few things to perhaps improve perfomance. Select "No Digital Sound" and "Disable Music", as well as Un-Checking the "Use digital music pack..." and "Use speech pack" options. From the "Advanced" setting you may try adjusting the Maximum Size ram cache to a higher (or possibly lower) number to see if that helps.

Also, disable all background programs you don't need running at the time, as background programs can also slow down the overal performace of programs you want to run as well.  Okay, those are just a few suggestions to try.

What version of windows you running? You could perhaps try installing the most recent drivers for your graphics-card and recent version of DirectX if you haven't already done so (do so at your own risk though, and it's good to make a "System Checkpoint" before making such changes).

Good luck.

I have windows xp so I don't see why this game should freeze up the way it does.  And I have lots of space left for the size of the game.  And nothing else is running at the same time as this game. But thanks anyway.....

Rosie

Quote from: Barbarian on Thu 07/04/2005 21:17:59

Good luck.  Thank you so much.  I turned off the music and speech and now it is working just fine. 

Dave Gilbert

I think this game sets the all-time record for the number of balls jokes!

Haven't played much of it, but it's a mighty nice piece of work so far.  Congratulations on finishing this in time to win the ATC.  You certainly managed to release this faster than we released ToaK!

-Dave

Candle

Nice game . I found that if I run it in a window it max's my system out but full screen it runs fine ?

hedgefield

Genius. Great graphics and a really solid game. Congrats!

Woohoo... I got credited.

QuoteI think this game sets the all-time record for the number of balls jokes!
And that's just the condensed version...

Great game guys, I finally finished playing.  Shame I wasn't around long enough to be of any real use.

Oh, and as a bit of trivia, can anyone work out how the main characters name came to be (Ned Floblid)  It's an anagram - Bragging rights for whoever figures it out first.

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

HillBilly

Steve, don't be a FOOL.

ooo, was that a hint??

Gord10

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Fri 08/04/2005 21:40:03
Blond Fidel?
Don fill bed?
Actually his name is "Ned Flobolid", not "Ned Floblid". So there is another "o" in the anagram.

I hope everyone liked the "Drunken Violent Bums" Video Game which I scripted. :)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk