AGS Annual - 1st Post Update

Started by Matt Goble, Mon 16/05/2005 23:56:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Goble

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in updating this post.

First of all, I want to thank everyone who gave me permission to include their software - I know most of you had probably never heard of me, so that fact you were all so helpful means a lot to me, and says a lot about this community.

Secondly I must make a couple of apologies. I was a very disorganised in getting this put together, and left the contacting of a large number of you until the last minute.  I know some of you gave me permission to include your games after I had produced the discs, and so I'm sorry that I 'messed' you guys around - I hope it is ok to include your games of AGS Annual 2, which I promise to give myself more time to get organised!  Of course, in the rush to make my own deadline, a few mistakes crept in, including a couple of corrupted files.  Again, this is something I will give myself more time to deal with for volume 2.

The following is a breakdown of what was included on the CD:

Applications

AGS 2.7 by Chris Jones
Demo2Turn11
AGS 2.70.864 for Linux by EvilTypeGuy
AGS 2.62.772 for Linux by EvilTypeGuy
Midipatch
Wurd Problems 2004 by RodeKill

Documents

AGS Annual Topic Post!
Brittens 2004 Topic Post

Games | Demos

Byzantine by Dark Stalkey
Revenants by Gassop Software
The Zero Hero by Magintz

Games | Short

6 Day Assassin by Mr Colossal
Automation by Mr Colossal
Barn Runner 4 by Ponch
Ben Jordan Case 1 by Francisco Gonzalez
Earwig is Angry by Shawn Guzzo
Grr Bearly Sane by Duzz
Mikes Room by Candle
Rob Blanc I by Yahtzee
Rode Quest by Shawn Guzzo
Satan Quest by Trapezoid
Saturday School by Netmonkey
Spellbound by Mr Colossal
The Elevator by Don 'Barbarian' McPherson

Games | Medium

5 Days a Stranger by Yahtzee
7 Days a Skeptic by Yahtzee
Aprrentice I by Herculean Effort Productions
Barn Runner 1 by Ponch
Ben Jordan Case 2 by Francisco Gonzalez
Ben Jordan Case 3 by Francisco Gonzalez
Ben Jordan Case 4 by Francisco Gonzalez
Bestowers of Eternity by Dave Gilbert
Calsoon by Chrille Blomqvist
Crown of Gold by Helm
Demonslayer 4 by Squinky
Duzz Quest by Duzz
Mourir en Mer by Dorcan
Norman Cooks in Search for the Don by Danny
Permanent Daylight by 2ma2
Pirate Fry by Squinky
Pirate Fry 2 by Squinky
Pirate Fry 3 by Squinky
Rob Blanc II by Yahtzee
Rob Blanc III by Yahtzee
Rode Quest 2 by Shawn Guzzo
SOL by Helm
The Trials of Odysseus Kent by Yahtzee
Tulles World 1 by Andail
Two of a Kind by Dave Gilbert

Games | Full Length

Apprentice II by Herculean Effort Productions
Calsoon 2 by Chrille Blomqvist
Escape from Evergreen Forest by Don 'Barbarian' McPherson
Frank the Farm Hand Part 1 by Mattias Jeppsson
Frank the Farm Hand Part 2 by Mattias Jeppsson
Larry Vales by Phil Reed
Larry vales II by Phil Reed
Pleurghburg The Dark Ages by Chrille Blomqvist
Rode Kill by Shawn Guzzo
The Book of Spells by Spyros
The Great Stroke Off! by Don 'Barbarian' McPherson
The Journey Home Part 1 by Dark Stalkey
Tulles World 3 by Andail

Games | Joke

Ben Jordan Paranormal Warrior by NetMonkey
Captain Muchly Drinks Bleach by Shawno's Computer (honest)
Snails Quest 1 by Helm
Snails Quest 2 by Helm
Snails Quest 3 by Helm

Games | MAGS

Demonslayer 1 by Squinky
Demonslayer 2 by Squinky
Demonslayer 3 by Squinky
Jingle Bells by Magintz

Games | Non-Adventure

AGS Mittens Shooter by Squinky
Moose Wars by Ghormak

Games | Non-AGS

Urban Joe Episode 1 by Gassop Software Projects

Photos

Brittens 2004 by Chris Jones
Brittens 2004 by Magintz
Mittens 2002 by Magintz
Mittens 2003 by Magintz
Mittens Visit to the Barbican by Matt Goble

Resources

RON Resources by the Ron Community.

Videos

Brittens 2004 by Magintz
Mittens 2004 by Scummbuddy

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

Group Photo courtsey of Magintz

And on with Volume 2...

I will soon be contacting people with regards to contributions for volume 2 (Available at  Brittens / Wittens 2006 and Mittens 2006!).  In the meantime,

please feel free to post suggestions what you would like to see, and those of you who got Volume 1, what you would like to see different!

All the best!

------------------------ Orginal Post -----------------------------

Hello Everybody, thankyou for coming...

So the thing is, I've had a thought.  Unoriginal, probably, but still a thought.

What do people think about a software AGS annual, or yearbook.

Most AGS users will download, and have their own collection of demos, games etc that they have collected over the years, but wouldn't it be nice to have it all collected together on one series of discs, a but like the Fred Fish collections back in the days of the Amiga.

I don't want to use the word 'official' here, but I'm thinking a 'standardised' series of discs, containing the best (and worst) that AGS has to offer.

This may be of use for people still on dial-up, who cannot download the bigger files, but mainly it would be the opportunity to own a tangible 'product', which can take pride of place on your Adventure Gaming shelf.

Now, Brittens is about 6 weeks away, and Mittens not long after that.

I am offering to collate and produce a CD-ROM with packaging for no cost (as long as things don't get silly).  I will bring completed product to Brittens for everyone who attends, and supply discs and printed parts to someone to take to Mittens (Which should be quite easy to pack and carry).

Now, I don't want to start going through the forums and just helping myself to people's games etc, as I appreciate that some people will not wish for their work to be distributed like this.

Anyone who wishes to contribute to this, can either PM me here or send me an email to my Gmail account which is 'mattgoble' and you can work out the rest...

Requirements

- It has to be AGS related.  At this stage I don't think it is wise to pull in funny star wars related videos that forum members have made.  If it's GEN-GEN, then its NO-NO (For now)

- It shouldn't be grossly offensive.  I honestly don't think there has been anything that falls into this category, but I don't want to be proven wrong!

Suggestions

- As this is the first annual, I am open to including anything related to AGS from the year dot to June 26th, which will then give me the following week to put the final touches on the disc.  Volume 2 will then start from the 27th until Brittens / Mittens 2006.

- An archive of previous releases of AGS?
- Demos
- Games
- Plugins
- Tools / Utilities
- Photos from AGS Events
- Walkthoughs
- Tutorials
- AGS Manuals / Documentation
- Screenshots, either of classic games or up and coming games.
- Music / Sound Effects

Now, I suggest that anyone who wishes to contribute, does so by the two forms of contact listed - NOT by this topic.  That way, it will be a nice suprise / shock when people recieve the disc.  Ideally, lets keep this topic for general discussion about the concept and as a general update to how this disc is coming along.

Comments attacking me for not producing games will of course be accepted  ;D

Finally, if there is enough interest, we can do this again next year, and perhaps organise for an torrent file of the ISO image to be made available for those unable to make either Brittens and Mittens.

I think that will do for starters.

Matt

Scummbuddy

It should totally have the source code to AGS on it, so that everyone may have a copy to keep it going, you know, when the space toilet from Hubble comes hurdling towards an unsuspecting Chris Jones on the day of re-entry.  :=
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Phemar

Hmm... I dunno about this...

Scummbuddy

care to give a little more explanation?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Pelican

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Tue 17/05/2005 02:07:53
It should totally have the source code to AGS on it, so that everyone may have a copy to keep it going, you know, when the space toilet from Hubble comes hurdling towards an unsuspecting Chris Jones on the day of re-entry.Ã,  :=

Somebody's been watching 'Dead Like Me'Ã,  a bit too much... :P

Evil

I think a place that keeps track of all of the updates and things for the year would be great. Doesn't need to be a CD though, could just be a website downlaod directory.

m0ds

Matt, I like the idea - which I will discuss further soon, but, what happened with the boxed version of AGS + manual idea? :D

Scummbuddy

Quote from: Pelican on Tue 17/05/2005 22:39:48
Somebody's been watching 'Dead Like Me'Ã,  a bit too much... :P

Ya got me.

And yeah, I have PM'd Matt wiht some things, you should to. Join the bandwagon. Do it! Do it now!
-Hoagie from DOTT

Matt Goble

Quote from: m0ds on Wed 18/05/2005 01:04:00
Matt, I like the idea - which I will discuss further soon, but, what happened with the boxed version of AGS + manual idea? :D

Still a possibility - I guess we could consider the AGS Annual a 'test run', although a printed manual would be financially impractical.  A topic to discuss in July  ;D

Andail

I think this is a great idea, and I would consider contributing.

Matt Goble

Andail,

All contributions greatly appreciated  :D

Drop me a PM with your thoughts.

Matt

Matt Goble

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update to say things are still a go, but it's not too late to contribute.  I am sending emails as fast as I can to everyone I can think of, but if I haven't emailed you, don't be shy and drop me a note at mattgoble at gmail dot com giving me the nod to use your game / tool / walkthough / whatever.

What I really need to know now is what kind of numbers I should be producing for distribution:

So Far, I believe this is the list for Brittens:

AGA
Ashen
CJ
Creed Malay
Custard
Dave Gilbert
Iqu
JetXL
Layabout
LimpingFish
m0ds
Matt Goble
Magintz
Miez
Scotch
Strazer
Yufster
ShatteredSponge
SHH
Dark Stalkey

Is there anyone else coming to Brittens that isn't on this list?

Now, who is going to Mittens but not to Brittens?

Helm
2ma2
Petteri

Who else have I missed?

AGA

Mittens:

Grundislav
Disco
+ others

Scummbuddy

Yeah, you never know when agsers might show up parked in the middle of your lawn in the middle of the Mittens, like Scummbuddy...Ã,  ::)
So, it's good to have extras.
-Hoagie from DOTT

PsychicHeart

great idea matt. This is brilliant! Wish i would be able to get it, but with me living in Australia  :(. Hey, this has probably already been asked...[18...19...] uh... let's just say heaps of times,  but does anyone do an Aussie Gathering? I remember back in my nOOb [yes, i realise that i have only been here a little while, but i'm a newb now... newb...] days, someone wrote something about an aussie gathering and cos i was so new to ags i had no idea what the fuck they were talking about...erm, i think i'll just stop talking before i set fire to my memory bank... whoops, it's gone.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Haddas

I'm going to Brittens.

SSH

Haddas, You can have mine, as I'm NOT  :'(

Matt Goble

See first post for update.

Now taking submissions for Volume 2, coming 2006!

Kinoko

Aww, no Cirque :\ Oh well, good luck with it!

rozojc

Two small questions:
1. Is it possible to download an ISO of this CD or something like that?

2. How come Cirque de Zale was not included? (I mean, it is a great game with a lot of popularity from almost everybody on these forums, oh, and just curious, I don't want this to sound as a complain or anything)

A suspense adventure game where you play an anti-hero, check it out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk