Sprite Jam: May 26th - June 2nd

Started by Pesty, Thu 26/05/2005 21:10:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesty

Sprite Jam Ahoy!

Theme:Downgrading VGA Sprites

I've had this idea for a while to take a VGA game, like Quest for Glory 3, and downgrade it to EGA art. With so many people wanting to "upgrade" games to VGA, I thought it'd be a nice change for those of us who prefer EGA over VGA. So what I want to see is for you guys to take something from a VGA game and turn it into a EGA sprite.

Size Limit:The average EGA size for whatever sprite you're doing. Usually about half the size of the VGA sprite, but I'll leave the sizing up to you guys. I have faith you won't give me 600x600 sprites.

Color Limit: the standard EGA 16 color palette (http://www.permadi.com/tutorial/websafecolor/ Use the 'named colors' as a reference if you need to)

Okay, I think that's it. Even if it sounds hard to you, give it a shot. I hope to see some awesome things!
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

big brother

This is what Ben Throttle would look like if the game was made in the late 80s.

Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The cutting edge sequel you've all been waiting for, now in stunning 16 color EGA graphics...

Helm

This isn't the actual EGA palette pete posted in the start of the thread. Mine's not exact either.

Gabriel Knight punching an annoying mime at a park.
WINTERKILL

Sylpher

Eh, it isn't exactly by the book...

Mr_Frisby

. . .some dude. . .think i'll call him frank.
Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

skw

Ok, my attempt here.

This is Max, the main character of "Sanitarium" game, drawn as a EGA sprite.

Everything done in MS Paint, pixel-by-pixel in the classic 16 colours palette (8 in use).

Hope you like it! ;)
a.k.a. johnnyspade

Gilbert

You didn't say I must use an adventure game, well it may not be a VGA game, but I won't care. :=

Pesty

Yay, you guys have given me some awesome entries! And now I have to choose a winner, huh?

Okay, Gil, your's probably should win, it's totally, completely awesome, but I'm going to pick Mr.Frisby's entry, Frank. I dig the way he came out a whole bunch! Especially his head. It's all kinds of perfect mannyhead.

So there. Mr.Frisby won. Everyone elses entries rocked hard too! I love EGA sprites.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Mr_Frisby

Hey Cool! Thanks Pesty.
Hopefully I can think of a Jam as fun as this one was.

F.
Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk