Peasant's Quest VGA

Started by deadsuperhero, Fri 27/05/2005 19:01:25

Previous topic - Next topic

deadsuperhero

Yes, people, Dogma Day Games is remaking the classic game by Homestarrunner.com. We've taken the graphics, and touched them up, giving them a King's Quest feel. Here's some screenshots

Rather Dashing standing outside his burninated cottage

Rather Dashing Swearing revenge on Trogdor the Burninator

the lake!

the path to Trogdor!

a quick look at the beautifully redone interface, which is not only point and click, but sports a text parser as well.
A short preview should be released sometime in June.
If you want to check up on our progress from time to time, just visit us at www.freewebs.com/dogmadaygames
we also have forums there, which, if you don't want to sit through the website to get to it, you can find it at http://s2.phpbbforfree.com/forums/dogmadaygames.html

Hope you guys like it.
Oh, BTW, we're still looking for voice actors, musicians, background artists, secondary sprite artists, beta testers, and the like. So,  if you want to try your hand at this type of stuff, just PM me some of your work.
Cheers,
Webspider/Alliance
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Mozesh

Sounds pretty cool, keep it up m8

Darth Mandarb

Interesting ... a remake of homestarrunner's game.

Not a bad gag.

Fix your signature graphic.  It's almost 4 times the allowed height.

DCillusion

I don't know how people will feel about Peasant's Quest VGA?

I mean, it's a parody of 80's Sierra; so there's a lot of humor that wouldn't exist in an update, like the hideous walk cycles, or the crazy verb structuring, etc.  It seems a game that's flawed by designed would lose something in the transfer.

Geoff

One of the bests parts about the game was the different things the narrator said to you depending on what you typed.
"Leg or no leg, I trust you about as far as I could throw Manhattan." - Guybrush Threepwood - Monkey Island 2

What a loser.

Thats what I thought, I dont think this will be half the game if its remade, because the old one was EGA 80's style but it used more colour to make it look better. The original will be better in my opinion.

deadsuperhero

Well, think what you will, I'm still making it. It will be really funny, even though it's not as crappy, but it will be funny through other ways, such as an expanded storyline, voice acting, minigames, and just purely great humor.
So, don't you worry about it.

Gilbert

Quote from: DCillusion on Sat 28/05/2005 00:41:41
I mean, it's a parody of 80's Sierra; so there's a lot of humor that wouldn't exist in an update, like the hideous walk cycles, or the crazy verb structuring, etc.Ã,  It seems a game that's flawed by designed would lose something in the transfer.
Well then it'll be a remake of a parody of 80's Sierra, or a parody of a remake of 80's Sierra (like those SQ1VGA, QFG1VGA, etc. makes) :=
I'd rather wait for its release to draw a conclusion on whether it's cool. It's looking good already though.

Kinoko

Have you contacted homestarrunner.com about this? I mean, they're pretty cool guys, you should let them know and just ask if they have a problem with it.

It looks cool, but I have to say I'm skeptical. Like DC said, the original was a parody and you've sort of taken the parody out of it. I guess this is almost a joke in itself because ... well, I'm sure you know. I don't know, good luck and all but I don't think it's such a great idea. Particularly if you're adding things in which aren't going to be the humour of the Chapman bros.

deadsuperhero

Okay, I've already emailed them, just waiting for a reply.
Who knows, maybe they'll give some advice for an expanded storyline.

Queen Kara

Yay , a game that uses / imitates the King's Quest interface without being a KQ game!
Also , I like the "Rather Dashing Swearing revenge on Trogdor the Burninator" preview the best. Great detail and a touch of humour yet obviously a bit of a serious moment at the same time.
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

deadsuperhero

Quote from: Queen Kara on Tue 14/06/2005 15:00:31
Yay , a game that uses / imitates the King's Quest interface without being a KQ game!
Yeah, it's quite cool.
I'm also planning on the game sporting a text parser, for those of you who want to play it in the old style.

Dave Gilbert

Nice work converting this picture! :)  I enjoyed Peasant's Quest, although I agree with the others who say you should let the Homestar Runner folks know.

deadsuperhero

Thanks for your kind words, Dave Gilbert.
Anywho, there's going to be some new screenshots soon (I've updated my VGA style of drawing)
Just keep waiting
And yes, a rolling demo will be released soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk