June MAGS

Started by Klaus, Wed 01/06/2005 20:04:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Outside the Boundaries

2ma2's guidelines emphasize on gaming design and try to make creators think outside the boundaries of stereotype adventure gaming.

- No inventories allowed.
- The whole game shall take place in the same location: a bunker.
- Can't use the classic Sierra nor LEC interface.

To clarify:
No inventories means that you're not allowed to keep and use inventory objects with your hotspots. It is however allowed to (ab)use the inventory system for making the interface or any other kind of unique use.

The game will take place within a bunker. What type, scenario or era is fully up to you to decide. It may be WW2, postapocalyps or 19th century tea party as far as I care. You may twist the thesis as much as possible.

You can not use the standard Sierra-interface, nor the popular LEC-emulation. I want to see something unusual. This will affect the actual gameplay and puzzle design, so you might want to choose carefully. Do as you please; it might be a one-click-for-everything design or 10 modes ranging from "smell" to "merry smile". This is the tough part boys and girls.

Remember, there is no right or wrong way to make adventures. If there's a challenge involved, it's a game. If it's a story, it's an adventure!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by early June 27th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Mr_Frisby

Hmmm. This be a challenging pet.
If only I could control the machine instead of the machine controlling me I may create bliss.
Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

Erenan

I've been feverishly working on something for this.

Wow! MAGS is really good practice for using AGS. :)
The Bunker

Colxfile

I've made a sufficiently good stab at something along these lines toÃ, throw my hat into the ring here. All I can say is that (If it gets finished on time) it will be unique.

Not that that means it'll be good... :P
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

lo_res_man

I shall enter with a  spooky game were you solve puzzles by adding (and maybe taking away) differant forms of energy to objects. since this is my first time editing a gui that gonna be my toughest job. every thing else should be reletivly simple. got my story 50% together hope to show screenshot soon.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Erenan

Finished! More or less...

Anyway, I've decided to take this in an unexpected direction... ;)

I hope that is okay. If not, just don't vote for me. :)

The game can be found here:
http://www.geocities.com/myrrwyn/bunker_erenan.zip

Gosh, I hope there aren't any bugs lingering in this thing.

This is my first AGS game ever, but I think it's pretty good. Sorry that it's the size it is. Absolutely everything in the game is created solely by me, but I got some inspiration from the Quest for Glory series. I cut a heck of a lot of corners with the graphics, but oh well. I had some secrets planned, but none of them are in place yet.

I plan on polishing this game later to create a deluxe version with more features and the hidden secrets and other stuff.

EDIT AS OF JUNE 27, 12:18 A.M.:: Updated game to fix bug making it impossible to complete game or use articles in bug fix notice. (Oh, I guess that second fix didn't work.) ;D
The Bunker

Colxfile

>:( >:( >:(

Bah, there goes my 'ingenious plan' for being unique... :-[Ã,  :-[ It obviously wasn't clever enough... ;D

Nevertheless, mine will be out before the deadline.
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

Erenan

Oh, did you have the same idea? That's so funny. :D

I'm sorry.
The Bunker

Colxfile

Ah, don't worry  :)

"Great minds think alike." or something like that.

Stefano

Quote from: Erenan on Fri 24/06/2005 10:43:14
I plan on polishing this game later to create a deluxe version with more features and the hidden secrets and other stuff.
Please, do! I like it a lot. ;)

Help, please?
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=21511.0

Good luck on the competition, Erenan. I hope you win.
Trying to make my first AGS game.

Colxfile

Okay. It's as finished as I can manage for now:

I must admit, having slaved away on this for a good many moons, that this lends itself more to being a minigame than an adventure game in its own right. But then again, it's quite challenging (If that's the right word) so I hope you all enjoy it.

Download it here! (800KB)

Klaus

So once again we're close to the deadline and we already see two entries. For all those who still want to submit their games please post within the next 23 hours (see timestamp of this message). Then the voting will begin!

skw

It seems that Khrismuc have abaddoned his game. Pity. In that case my vote comes to Erenan. ;)
a.k.a. johnnyspade

Klaus

Yes, seems as if there are no more entries. At least we're already way beyond the deadline... Funny that both participants had the same idea :) So let's start the offical voting now:

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here  (only use one of these two ways of voting - nothing else allowed):

Bunker by Erenan
Bad Bunker by Colxfile

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Drawken

Well first off, Erenan, I enjoyed the beginning of your game but I have gotten freezes in various places, plus I'm wandering all over the place and have no clue what to do. Where I found people before, I can't find again. A map would help a lot.
Colxfile, in your game I can't get control of your character, no matter where I click on the screen he just stays there.
I really can't vote, since I am not able to finish either of your games.
<First time placing in a Sprite Jam. Neato.

Colxfile

[Fixed]
Serves me right for rushing, really.

Khris

Quote from: Xarkh on Mon 27/06/2005 23:04:49
It seems that Khrismuc have abaddoned his game. Pity. In that case my vote comes to Erenan. ;)
As my game was to take place in a WW2 bunker, I couldn't think of a single puzzle without using inventory items :P ...now that JuneMAGS is over, I might include an inventory and release it someday.

My vote goes to Erenan, too. Absolutely great work! Funny dialogues, cool main char, great map system! I didn't encounter freezes, but sometimes going e.g. north makes the char jump to a far away location.

@Colxfile: I still can't get the character to move a single pixel.

@Drawken: Search for the hermits at the northern edge of the desert.

bluber

thumps up for erenan. great stuff.

@Colxfile: can't control the character. is this a special feature or a bug?

bush_monkey

Sorry Colxfile. Your game is an intriguing idea but I too cannot get the character to move :(

Erenan: Great game, you have my vote if only for the brilliance that is the Ronin Golfer. How nobody ever thought of combining the two, I'll never know. Oh, and great in-joke with the talking skull  :) Murray was the best thing about Monkey Island 3

Colxfile

Okay... This will probably end up being little more than a footnote, but I'm sure it works now. I have clicked the d/load link, opened the zip file and run the game. The character does move.

I'll just try it again... Yes, it works.

No, it wasn't a feature as such. It was a monsterous error that slipped under my inefficient radar. I was trying to be clever... :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk