>>SQ III Death Msg Pic (NEW: Edits of all d-pics)<<

Started by CoffeeBob, Thu 02/06/2005 19:27:51

Previous topic - Next topic

CoffeeBob

Hello, fellow spriters!
Here's something I made just for fun:

It's one of the death message faces from SQ III, in VGA-style!

x_traveler_x

~~- - -. . .finding a cure for mundanity. . . - - -~~

Crowley

I see some small problems with the symmetry of the face. Especially the eyes look like they are at different heights. The nose looks like it's slanted to the left (Roger's left), and the right cheek looks too round in my opinion. And either the mouth is too low or there should be more jaw under it.

On the plus side, I love his expression. Conveys a certain sense of "Duhh... What happened?"

CoffeeBob

Quote from: Crowley on Fri 03/06/2005 00:37:45
I see some small problems with the symmetry of the face. Especially the eyes look like they are at different heights. The nose looks like it's slanted to the left (Roger's left), and the right cheek looks too round in my opinion. And either the mouth is too low or there should be more jaw under it.

Is that better? :)

Crowley

I like the right cheek and mouth better. The left eye (again, talking about Roger's left) could stand to be a pixel or two left. And it looks like you forgot to move the eyebrow with the eye. Not so sure about the nose, but I don't quite know what to do with it. You could use the light and shade to make the bridge of the nose narrow more clearly as it goes up between the eyes.

Taking a closer look at the jaw, it looks like it's pulled to Roger's right a bit. Considering we are looking at his head slightly diagonally from the right, we should see more of the neck on the right side of the jaw than the left. Then again, that might be attributed to death spasms.

What a loser.

Very nice. You plan a SQ3VGA>

CoffeeBob

Quote from: Alias on Fri 03/06/2005 19:02:38
Very nice. You plan a SQ3VGA>
An SQ3VGA what? ;P
If you mean remake, then no. But I'm spriting for the one mentioned in the games in production forum.

CoffeeBob

Here's a test edit of Roger from SQ3. I doubled the size, rounded it and reshaded it.

I'm not really happy with the result. I might try to make a hi-res Roger sprite from scratch instead. But first I want to know what you guys think. :=

CoffeeBob

Allright, obviously no one thinks anything about the Roger sprite, so here's two new edits of the death pic:

Blackthorne

Largo,

The roger sprites looks like a great take on SQ3's Roger Sprite.  The SQIII Roger sprite still had a very AGI feel to it, as compared to the later SCI games.

If I was to remake SQ3, I would use the Roger Sprite for SQ1VGA or SQ4VGA, edited slightly.

But, however, commenting on your sprite, I love the way it looks.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

CoffeeBob

Thank you, Blackthorne.
Yeah, I was thinking about altering the SQ1VGA sprite but I'll have to check with the 'boss' for the project first. :)
BTW, do you know where I can download the SQ1VGA or the SQ4 sprites?

Orieac

Quote from: Blackthorne on Sun 05/06/2005 18:24:47

If I was to remake SQ3, I would use the Roger Sprite for SQ1VGA or SQ4VGA, edited slightly.

There is one small problem: SQ3 Roger is much smaller (has less 18 pixels high). So changing Roger sprites for SQ1 or SQ4 requires a lot of changes in the backgrounds/characters.

Orieac

What a loser.

Quote from: Orieac on Sun 05/06/2005 20:39:34
Quote from: Blackthorne on Sun 05/06/2005 18:24:47

There is one small problem: SQ3 Roger is much smaller (has less 18 pixels high). So changing Roger sprites for SQ1 or SQ4 requires a lot of changes in the backgrounds/characters.

Orieac

And? If you use 320x200 res it shouldent be a problem, if roger is a few pixels higher it wont make a difference if you remake the backgrounds too.

CoffeeBob

Here's a collection with VGA'ized edits of all SQ3 death pics. Now, what I want you to do is comment and criticize those that are edited by me and don't come from SQ1VGA.
The one that are from SQ1VGA and unedited are:
Row 1: pics 2, 9 and 11
Row 2: last pic
So, how does the other ones look?

Blackthorne

Your pics look awesome.  Very Sierra-ish, very good!  Bravo.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Ubel

You've done very good job. Keep up the good work! :)

CoffeeBob

Thanks! ;D
It was a pain in the butt to get the splatter on the last pic in the first row right. Or, maybe not a pain, but a sting in the butt at least. :P

Babar

Hey, you got it going great compared to ol' Rog. That guy seems to have died some pretty gruesome deaths. I'm gonna have to play through SQ3 to check them all.
I actually prefer some of yours compared to the others. Good job
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

CoffeeBob

Thanks everyone. Took some time to VGA'ize all of them. I'm most satisfied with how the nukem dukem death pic turned out (row 1, pic 10).
So, no crits at all?

jetxl

And people claim that games are so violent nowadays.

CoffeeBob

Lionheart

They are all very nice, my favorite one is where roger is melting in the lava.

CoffeeBob

Quote from: Lionheart on Thu 16/06/2005 15:44:59
They are all very nice, my favorite one is where roger is melting in the lava.
Ah, which one do you mean? The one with green goo is from SQ1VGA. The one under it is just a small edit of the one above.

Crowley

They look great, but I still think you have some trouble getting the eyes at the same height and the same horizontal distance from the middle of the face in the pictures where Roger's head is tilted. Try looking at them when tilting your own head at the same angle and you should see what I mean.

As for the sprite, shouldn't the hair color be the same as in the death pictures? Personally I don't really dig the big head look, but that's just personal preference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk