"Legend of Dark Shadows"

Started by sfzapgun, Wed 15/06/2005 18:58:00

Previous topic - Next topic

sfzapgun

Please delete the original post...

Yes I read the rules, yes I actually did post a link to the development journal, but then when I checked it, my pics didn't show up, so I modified the post, went to correct the problem with the website, and when I came back to modify the link again with the URL, it was LOCKED!

http://www.geocities.com/sfzapgun/index.html

The link contains lots of screencaps.

This is an adventure game based on the Gothic soap "Dark Shadows".  It will feature Barnabas Collins - the original reluctant vampire, several ghosts, a warlock, a werewolf, etc. There's a mystery to solve also.

Graphics 25%

Story 90%

I hope this complies to the rules. Sorry, that was a really bad way to re-introduce myself to the community...now I feel bad. Ashamed, really.

[ edit ]

Screenshots: (added by Darth)

KingMick

Wow, this looks really good to me.Ã,  Could you tell us a bit more about the storyline and setting?Ã,  I have never heard of this gothic soap before, and don't really want to do the research into it unless your game ends up convincing me the soap is worthwhile (The only reason I read Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar books was because Betrayal at Krondor was so much fun...)

EDIT: Also, do you have a demo yet and if so could you post a link here?

sfzapgun

"Dark Shadows" was one of those unique shows of the 60s, like "Star Trek", "Bewitched", and "My Mother The Car".  it ran from 1966 to 1971 on abc. It was the story of a young woman hired as a Governess at a creepy seaside mansion in a fishing villiage in Maine. Airing five days a week, It began as a drama/mystery soap about the strange goings-on at the Collinwood estate, with lots of family intrique and mysterious secrets.  After about 10 months the soap was on the verge of cancellation when the series producer Dan Curtis decided to try adding a vampire to the story to increase ratings. Willie Loomis, a drifter stayig at Collinwood at the time, was poking around the family Mausolium looking for hidden jewels, and found vampire Barnabas Collins in his chained coffin instead. Willie fell under Barnabas' power, and Barnabas used Willie to ingraciate himself with the Collins family. Barnabas passed himself off as a cousin from England - a decendant of the Barnabas Collins whos portrait hung in the Collinwood foyer, when actually he was the SAME MAN, undead and eternal since becoming a vampire in 1795.
Well, to make a very long story short, Barnabas was a hit, and Curtis began adding more supernatural elements to the show - a witch, a werewolf, a man-made man and woman, Leviathans, a warlock, a Jeckell/Hyde mad scientist, magical floating severed hands, etc. The shows characters even time travelled, to 1795, 1897, 1840, and even the far-off year of 1995. The show was a phenominal mainstream hit in its heyday. Unfortunately, Dark Shadows" finally just burned itself out with increasingly wild and repetative plots.
The show was rerun several times through on Scifi Channel for years, but they no longer show it. I wouldn't recommend a casual fan to wade through all 1245 episodes on video or DVD, but a cool movie was made in 1970 based on the "Barnabas" storyline and using the cast from the daily soap. You should see if you can hunt it down and rent it if you want to experience it for yourself. it's called "House of Dark Shadows", released on DVD and video by MGM. A sequel was made in 1971, called "Night of Dark Shadows", but it is inferior...

My game is set in 1971, picking up right after the end of the series. The player character is Dr. Julia Hoffman, one of only two people at Collinwood who knows that Barnabas is a vampire (The other person being, of course, Willie). Julia is Barnabas' friend and confidant. At one time she even managed to cure him of his vampirism. Anyway, a old enemy is causing trouble for Barnabas, and it's Julia's job to interact with the various ghosts and creatures who "live" at Collinwood to help her help Barnabas.
A demo won't be ready for quite awhile, unless you guys just want to see Julia walk aimlessly from room to room at Collinwood. :)

Mr. Mozzarella

I had a look at the site. The adaption of the Drawing room looks nice, but could you add the next screenshots in their normal size? Because the small pictures don't show very much details.
Night of Fire - Thread

I control, I am in charge of
Everyones future, red button is mine

sfzapgun

Your wish is granted. I've provided links to full size jpegs of most of the room thumbnails in the journal.

sfzapgun

OK, I'm going to try posting a couple of the newest screenshots...

Mr. Mozzarella

leave those spaces out

Code: ags
[img]http://www.geocities.com/sfzapgun/quentinsroom.jpg[/img] 

Edit: what a timing ;)

edit by Dart - don't quote images ... especially images directly above your post.
Night of Fire - Thread

I control, I am in charge of
Everyones future, red button is mine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk