Spacewar episode 2( Curien strikes back)

Started by sameeralord, Wed 29/06/2005 02:45:44

Previous topic - Next topic

sameeralord

Hi Guys,
I'm back with the second episode of spacewar series
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=578

Here is a small review for the game

SCREENSHOT

Welcome to the world of spacewar. You are Manaken Spacewalker the best young apprentice Medai counsil has ever had. In the second episode of the spacewar series Curien strikes back to get the crystal back from the Medai counsil. He comes with his army and it is your task to perilish him and his army. Also save the crystal and the presdent of the Medai Counsil. After loads of constructive critsism the second episode has improved a lot and it is lot better than the first one. You got to battle your way though and solve puzzles in order to succesfully complete your mission. Not only that your Master Daikan also appears in this episode. In the end you have to battle Curien which takes a bit of thinking . May the force be with you

As you can see I hope you like this game cause I did put effort on it.
Please download the game by visting the link below and please vote and write your comments and feedback so I can improve

THE GAME IS ACTUALLY 1 MB

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=578

Thanks in advance

BETA TESTER FLOP

Friend in need is a friend indeed!!

Candle

Potch

The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

sameeralord

It works. Please try again. Sight no feedbck or suggestion for my game is too hard for me

Candle

It works. Please try again. Sight no feedbck or suggestion for my game is too hard for me
Hard to do that when you can't download it .

sameeralord

I just tried it just now and it worked. I have to look at this matter. Can any other people download it. Did you try download manager off/on, svae target as.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

How so very odd... it worked for me. And I downloaded it very early, when the thread was started, I believe. I have the thing in my hard drive, waiting for me to unzip. I used GetRight. Doesn't it download for anyone else?

...I must be SPECIAL! Yay!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Ashen

I also managed to download it, after Candle & Potch had said they couldn't, and with no download managers. Haven't had much chance to play it yet, but off the top of my head...

1. Spelling and grammar need a lot of work. Maybe not spelling so much, but grammar, general ... word use (syntax?), and possibly punctuation need looking at. (I know I'm not one to talk, but still...)

2. The intro. All the speech is the same colour and displayed in the about same place, so it's a little tricky to keep track of who's speaking. Try using different talking colours and, if the character isn't actually in the room, use DisplaySpeechAt()/character.SayAt() to move the speech around a bit. And, why do the Mith guards use Display instead of speech? Also, you might want to add some clue that the cutscene is over - I died once before realising I'd been given control. Jst a I have to act quickly! message would do.

3. More interactions. Being able to try more than what you've decided is the bare basic would be nice - even a generic I can't (look at / talk to / use) that message would be an improvement. Or at least the ability to look at things before randomly clicking 'Use', and hoping for the best.

4. Failing that, a 'statusline' display of what the mouse is over would be good. While not terrible, your art isn'tt he greatest, and it can sometimes be a bit of a hunt to find out what you can actually interact with. (3 & 4 are also my major complains about Episode 1).

EDIT: Oh, and yes the walk cycle is better - although there's something about the hand on the 'far' side, it seems to stay forward too long.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Candle

Potch

Finally able to download it.  I agree on a lot of what Ashen says.  It's really hard to tell what things are on the screen. You shoudln't definately add some descriptions for the LOOK icon next time.  And I died right after the intro too!
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

sameeralord

Thanks for the comments. Ashten you have said not much interations but how can you say this without actually playing the whole game. I mean you are sort of right this game doesn't have a lot of interacions like Ben jordan but you do have puzzles and fairly lot of interactyions compared to the first. Anyways thanks for pointing out other mistakes I'll try to improve and work on them. One more thing please keep playing until the end cause Curien part at the end is pretty funny. Thanks everyone for the comments. Please vote for my game.

Alun

Quote from: sameeralord on Fri 01/07/2005 03:07:31Ashten you have said not much interations but how can you say this without actually playing the whole game.

Um...I think you're misunderstanding his point.  How much of the game he's played is totally immaterial.  If there are lots of things that look they should be interactable, and aren't, that can be noticeable and annoying even by just the first room; the rest of the game has no bearing on the problem.  He's not saying there isn't enough to do in the game as a whole.  He's saying that there should be some sort of messages when you try looking at or interacting with things in ways that aren't directly necessary for the game's solution.

[EDIT: And now that I've gotten home and had a chance to download it and play through it myself, I think I can expand on that.

The biggest problem is that almost nothing has a description--using the Look icon on most objects, even hotspots you have to interact with, does nothing at all.  In the entire game, I only found three things the player can Look at: the President of the Medai Council, Master Daikan, and the card slot.  Anywhere else, the Look icon does nothing at all.  At the very least, it should be possible to Look at things you can interact with, so you have some idea of what they are or what might happen when you interact with them.  It's not obvious, for example, that...well, this isn't really a spoiler, but I'll put it behind spoiler tags just to be on the safe side:
Spoiler
It's not obvious, for example, that an orange rectangle is a fire extinguisher, and it would have been nice to know that before picking it up.
[close]
Even better, some scenery objects should have descriptions when you Look at them as well--in this game, the scenery was pretty sparse, but there were a few objects that the player should be able to Look at.  But, as I said, at the very least anything you can Interact with, you should be able to Look at.

Also, nothing happens if you Look at any inventory items.  In that case, what's the point of having the option of using the Look icon on inventory items in the first place, if it does nothing?  The inventory items really ought to have descriptions.

The inability to Interact with objects isn't really quite as big a deal--especially since, like I said, the scenery was pretty sparse and it doesn't look like there's much you should be able to interact with anyway--but even here there were a few places that some Interact messages might have been useful.  (The door with the card slot, for example--what happens if you Interact with it?  As it stands, nothing, but it might have been a good idea to have a message, something like "I can't open it with my bare hands--I'm going to have to find that card.")

Ideally, too, there should be messages if the player tries something that doesn't work, but that he can reasonably be expected to try.  For example (and I'll put these behind spoiler tags):

Spoiler

Talking to or Interacting with the villains at the beginning.  (Even messages as simple as "I don't think talking to them is going to do anything" and "I don't think I'd beat them fighting hand-to-hand" would be nice.)

Using the gun on the door with the card slot.  (Something like "The door is too strong to shoot my way through" would work.)

Trying to fly over the pit before the fire is extinguished.  (Maybe "That's a good idea, but I'll have to put out the fire first--if I try to fly through it, I'll be burned to death!")
[close]

On another note, as Ashen implied, you really do need someone to copy-edit your text.  (Though you're far from the only one--that's a problem with lots of the adventures here.)  I won't go over all the mistakes, because that would go on too long, but here are some of the things that really stood out for me:
  • Where the character says he has to "distinguish the fire", the word you're looking for is extinguish, not distinguish.  "Distinguish" means something else entirely.
  • It seems very odd that everyone keeps addressing the president of the Medai Council as "President of the Medai Council".  I can see them addressing him as "President", or maybe even "Council President" (though that's iffy), but would they really refer to him as "President of the Medai Council" every time they talk to him?  That would be like someone talking to George W. Bush and addressing him as "President of the United States"--they just call him "Mr. President".
  • "Dead body storing room"--uh, that's a very strange phrase.  Maybe just call it a "morgue".
  • Also, this is kind of on a different note, but it's kind of weird--and kind of boring--that the areas are referred to in-game as "Room 3" and "Room 4".  It might sound more realistic and more interesting to give the rooms names; instead of "Room 3" and "Room 4" call them something else: the docking bay, the access corridor, the secondary hangar, the storage room, pretty much anything other than just a number.

Anyway, though, on to the good points.  Though the graphics and the writing left quite a bit to be desired, I thought the game design, as far as puzzles went, was actually quite good.  There were no illogical puzzles that could only be solved by combining random objects; all the puzzles were logical and straightforward.  They may have been on the easy side, but I think it's better to err on the side of making puzzles too easy than making them unguessably hard.  The last puzzle, in particular, though, the way that Curien is defeated, I quite liked.  That puzzle was very original, logical without being blatantly obvious, and well-done.  Good job.]

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

sameeralord

ALUN CLEWE I THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE GREAT PIECE OF SUGGESTION,DISLIKES, GOOD POINTS YOU HAVE GIVEN FOR MY GAME. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;). After reading your thing I understood what Ashen meant. Apoligising forÃ,  writing that Ahen.

@Alun Clewe:Ã,  In my next game I'm going to add all these look at things. I now undertand how important it is. As I am practising my art regularaly I hope it would improve in my next game. I agree with everything you said and I'm going to make my next game better. Really glad here you finished my game without hints I really am cause it was one of my goals to make people finish my games with out hints. In other words logical puzzles.As for the grammar I was wondering what I have done wrong cause I was sure it was not something like passtence,presentence,plural etc.You gave me an clear idea of the grammar errors I have made. Once again I thank you for EXELLENT user comments.

sameeralord

Hi Guys,
PLEASE VOTE FOR MY GAME               DO IT

TRUTHFULLY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk