Best ROCK song ever!

Started by Hamelkart, Tue 28/06/2005 23:40:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamelkart

I don't know if there's been such topic in the past here, but can you guys (rock fans) please name the song which you consider to be the greatest rock song ever.
I've seen tons of different polls and they all tell me the different story, plus I've been fighting with my friends for ages about this subject.

I, personally think it's "Telegraph Road (live version)" by Dire Straits. I think neither Hendrix nor Page could outmatch Knopfler's solo play in that particular song (after the "like a rollin river" part).

LGM

Whole Lotta Love by Led Zepplin is in the top of my list... But there's too many to choose.
You. Me. Denny's.

PaulSC

If I had to pick one song to sum up the fundamental concept of rock music to someone who'd never heard any, I'd probably have to say Motorhead's Ace Of Spades.

If I could somehow logically justify saying that Search And Destroy and Gimme Danger (first two tracks on the Stooges' Raw Power album) were in fact one big song, then I'd pick that one. But I can't.

Helm

(They Long to be ) Close to You - The Carpenters
WINTERKILL

Darth Mandarb

ANYthing by Jay-Z ... hands down.

Barbarian

Yeah, hard to say what is the "best", as there's such a huge selection, and depends on a person's musical tastes and even the mood you might be in at the time.

But I thought this topic was interesting as it reminded me of a recent news-article in which it's suggested that Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" song is now named "The greatest song of all time": http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/27/dylan.stone/index.html

Though it's a good song, I don't know if I'd call it "The Greatest"...
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Disco

Blackthorne

-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Kinoko

God Gave Roll and Roll To You - Kiss ^_^

But yeah, there are too many to name and it's impossible to say which is best. Innuendo or The Show Must Go On by Queen are phenominal as well...

MrColossal

I prefer Bill and Ted's version of God Gave Rock And Roll To You... With the Evil Robot Uses on maracas

STATION!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Kinoko

That's great too! I still think Kiss just nail it on the head though :) I'm listening to it right now and... well, I've changed my mind. It is without a doubt the greatest rock song ever.

Unilin

"He is the deadliest man alive and I want him dead."  -- The Boss, Ett Buttert Utter

Nothing in the universe is certain, probably.

Pesty

Quote from: Kinoko on Wed 29/06/2005 06:16:54
That's great too! I still think Kiss just nail it on the head though :) I'm listening to it right now and... well, I've changed my mind. It is without a doubt the greatest rock song ever.

Dude, no way. Wyld Stallyns totally rocked that song hardcore!

* Pesty air guitars!
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Kinoko

I think you guys are simply remembering the movie too fondly. I bet some of you haven't even heard the Kiss version properly. It is rocked as much as one can possible rock a song.

I might point out also that both versions are hideously similar. There's not a lot of difference. In fact, didn't the WS version fade into the Kiss version? I could be remembering wrong. It's not like Bill and Ted sung the thing :P

BernieLaraemie

Hmm, that's a three-way tie between "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Crocodile Rock" and "Layla".

~~Bernie
~~~~~
"It doesn't matter whether something is true, just that it is believed." -- Jim Morrison
~~~~~
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

DGMacphee

hey guys! know which version of god gave rock n roll i like?

the KISS version

no wait the Bill and Ted version

no wait the KISS version

no wait theARRRG I CAN'T DECIDE

if only they were the same song!

oh wait Bill and Ted are KISS in disguise

They're more than meets the eye.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Kinoko

BAM! Thanks DG ^_^ I was -sure- it was the Kiss version but I didn't wanna make an assout of myself by assuming.

The difference is that the movie does have all sorts of sound effects and whatnot over the song. Which ruin the full listening experience!

Nacho

For me it's Bohemian Rapsody by the Queen, or a Day in the life, by the Beatles.

Fraggle Rock intro sound is cool too.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I read somewhere that there had been a voting made by some British newspaper or other. Bohemian Rhapsody won, hands down. But I disremember whether it was best ROCK song ever, or just best SONG ever...

And, Farlander? In the midst of the horrid Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band film soundtrack, some things are pretty nice. Barry Gibb's cover of "A Day in the Life" is one. Just thought I«d mention it, you might enjoy listening to that one, too. It's funny how in some songs, like Nowhere Man, the song seemed to fit their style perfectly.

EDIT - Oh, I forgot to tell which I thought was the best. The Cranberries' "Electric Blue".
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

earlwood

I have a hard time trying to narrow it down like this.. because most of the things would probably be classified as Jazz..

Best ROCK songs(In no particular order)
Frank Zappa-Black Napkins
Bob Dylan-Hurricane
Frank Zappa-Muffin Man(The Bongo Fury version)
Joe Walsh-Funk #49
Joe Walsh-Eyes of the Confessor
Steely Dan-Bodhisattva
Golden Earring-Mad Love's Comin'
Led Zepellin-In my Time of Dying
Budgie-Napolean Bona Parts 1&2 (Along with the entire Impeckable album)
Allman Brothers-You can't Lose what you Never Had

By the way, Argent's version of God Gave Rock n' Roll to you is the best.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk