Best ROCK song ever!

Started by Hamelkart, Tue 28/06/2005 23:40:20

Previous topic - Next topic

ManicMatt

Saviour machine sound like a cross between Il Divo and nightwish.

Cheesy!

Helm

You need to listen again.
WINTERKILL

Polecat

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Currently Reading: Soldier of the Mist
Last Read: Stardust [+++]
Playing: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Recently Played: The Dig [+++]

pipan

I can't pick one favorite song but here is some of my favorites:

Supertramp - Hide In Your Shell
Supertramp - A Soapbox Opera
The Band - King Harvest
The Band - Stagefright
The Doors - When the Musics Over

Quote from: Hamelkart on Tue 28/06/2005 23:40:20
I think neither Hendrix nor Page could outmatch Knopfler's solo play in that particular song (after the "like a rollin river" part).

They are all amzing guitarists but I must say I like Robbie Robertson of The Band better than all of them. Ever listened to The Band? Robbie usually keeps his solos pretty short but on Forbidden Fruit he pulls of a long and mind blowing solo.

Quote from: Barbarian on Wed 29/06/2005 03:41:15
Yeah, hard to say what is the "best", as there's such a huge selection, and depends on a person's musical tastes and even the mood you might be in at the time.

But I thought this topic was interesting as it reminded me of a recent news-article in which it's suggested that Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" song is now named "The greatest song of all time": http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/27/dylan.stone/index.html

Though it's a good song, I don't know if I'd call it "The Greatest"...

It sure is a great song but I think one have to have lived in america during the 60's to fully understand the power behind the lyrics. Did you know that there is a full book about this song? I have been thinking about buying it.

Quote from: earlwood on Wed 29/06/2005 08:30:57
I have a hard time trying to narrow it down like this.. because most of the things would probably be classified as Jazz..

Best ROCK songs(In no particular order)
Frank Zappa-Black Napkins
Bob Dylan-Hurricane
Frank Zappa-Muffin Man(The Bongo Fury version)
Joe Walsh-Funk #49
Joe Walsh-Eyes of the Confessor
Steely Dan-Bodhisattva
Golden Earring-Mad Love's Comin'
Led Zepellin-In my Time of Dying
Budgie-Napolean Bona Parts 1&2 (Along with the entire Impeckable album)
Allman Brothers-You can't Lose what you Never Had

By the way, Argent's version of God Gave Rock n' Roll to you is the best.....

Have you ever heard of Dylans version of In my Time of Dying? It is also really good but I think Led Zeppelins version is better though.
And if you know who you are,
You are your own superstar,
And only you can shape the movie that you make

Supertramp - Easy Does It

Petra

Hi Helm,

so glad you did not eat me ;D

Just listening to Lordi for the 10th time or so....
"The Monsterican Dream"

It's going to be better after each time listening to it....

Petra

Quote from: ManicMatt on Thu 25/05/2006 23:22:29
Quote from: Petra on Thu 25/05/2006 22:52:20
This is great rock, isn't it???

I can't wait to see Helm's opinion on this band again either!

let me see, not only do I think he's going to say they aint great, but he's also going to say they aint rock.

In other news I got Pink Punk's album. It's the lead singer from One Minute Silence (What does Helm and Petra think of them by the way?) doing rap over electronic and experimental-ish music.

So....as you ask...

I have one album here by One Minute Silence..
"One Lie fits all"

Heard it once and never again.....
Not my kind of music....

And Pink Punk is not better either, sorry

Petra

But.....

anyone ever heard about Blue October?

"Argue with a tree"

So nice---

ManicMatt

At least you gave them a shot Petra! Mind you, "one lie fits all" isn't very good, "buy now.. saved later" is. (Which rather annoyingly wasn't on that myspace link)

Got me there. What kind of music is Blue October?

Paper Carnival

Wow, this has become the Ask Helm thread.

I got re-addicted to The Spirit by Divinefire a couple of hours after my previous post :P. That song is plain awesome, it's like 10 minutes long but not in any way repetitive, with solos and 3 different vocalists. I don't know what genre I'd put it, maybe heavy power metal describes it but it has also a doom metal part.

The only problem is the cheesiness of the lyrics, but besides that it's just perfect... Providing that your ears can bare the heaviness and understand the melody. Also, another problem is that it relies too much on synths, which most metalheads (with me not included) find annoying.

http://media.putfile.com/The-Spirit if anyone wants to hear it.

Helm

Guybrush, since you get a boner over jesus, listen to Forsaken - Dominaeon. Some of the best epic doom metal since Candlemass kickstarted the thing, and the lyrics are WHITE AS FUCK. Really awesome 'god is coming, repent sinners for you will SUFFER' type of stuff. Real conviction.
WINTERKILL

Paper Carnival

I hate you Helm, I want you to go to hell and SUFFER ;D

Bah, like I said, I don't like the lyrics of that song much. Yeah I enjoy white metal more than secular,  but I dislike cheesy and too direct lyrics, it turns me off

I'll check out Forsaken, but if the lyrics are really like that I doubt I'm going to like it much :P

Helm

Shut up you're going to love them, and you totally get all sweaty when some metal singer shouts about god. The fact that you just said 'secular' and 'metal' in a row shows where you're coming from. Just admit it. God gives you a boner.

Listen to Forsaken.
WINTERKILL

Paper Carnival

Hey it's not my fault if the evil american protestants brainwashed me to split music into christian and secular even though I dislike that distinction :(

I would listen to Forsaken, but I can't seem to find samples anywhere. My google skills have failed me.

ManicMatt

Your google skills are crap.

http://www.forsaken.us/flashmain.html

Unless there is more than one band that goes by that name!

I googled "forsaken metal"

dasjoe

listen to exhumed. i have to laugh so hard at 1:45.
... it's quite easy being the best.

ManicMatt

Are they BURPING in the chorus? Oh it's a growl, my bad.

Why were you laughing at that point in the song? Was that the solo guitar? Thats the only bit I liked!

Helm

I'm talking about Forsaken from Malta, not the US band. I'll upload a song for you and then you'll love it so much you'll go and order the actual album.

http://www.locustleaves.com/03-dominaeon.mp3
WINTERKILL

Paper Carnival

There are actually at least 8 bands called Forsaken, hehe. I searched for Forsaken Dominaeon but wouldn't find a thing, and that USA band is not epic doom metal...

Anyway, indeed it's quite awesome, thank you :o I'll put it in my "next" list, now that I've been an adult for 2 weeks I'll get my own internet card very soon 8)

ManicMatt

Ah, then my apologies Mr Peepwood.

I'll play the song Helm but I've never liked doom metal before..

*Plays the song*

Oh, I was expecting something mega slow. Isn't doom normally very slow? What am I thinking of? I once heard a song by "electric Wizard" I think and it just droned on in mediocrity.

He has one of those eighties Iron Maiden kinda voices, but I'm getting used to it.

Yeah, I can't fault them, but they don't appeal to me, maybe my brother would like them.

veryweirdguy

Quote from: ManicMatt on Tue 30/05/2006 14:49:42
I once heard a song by "electric Wizard" I think and it just droned on in mediocrity.

Please never use "electric wizard" and "mediocrity" in the same sentence again.

Thank you.

(No, I'm kidding, you're entitled to your opinion of course :P but I like EW quite a bit!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk