One Room, One Week Competition 2 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Started by scotch, Wed 29/06/2005 15:29:11

Previous topic - Next topic

scotch

Three months ago we held a quite successful "one room game" competition.  Enough people seem to be interested now to start the second.  Some people who may want to take part are away for Brittens for the next week, so the competition will start once Brittens is over, on the 8th of July.

Deadline for game entries: Sat 16 Jul 2005, 00:00 GMT.
Extra rules:
There are no additional rules, I was just playing with you!

Rules are as follows:

Entries must -
   have just one playable room/location.
   be adventure games.

They may -
   use content from any source, including pre-made.
   have cut scenes, menus or limited controlled sequences outside the main room.

You should work alone, but if you need help with an area of the game (art, music...) you can find one other person to work with.

Some examples of "one room games" that would be allowed are 6 Day Assassin and  Little Jonny Evil.

Entries will be submitted anonymously. When a game is completed, its creator must contact me by PM with a download link (or to organise some other way of my receiving the game files). I will then temporarily host the game on my own site, and announce the game's release on the forums. This is to guarantee each game is voted on due to its own merit, not simply because of the names attached. Because of this, game entries can not include the game creator's name or company name anywhere. All names will be disclosed once voting has ended.

The winner will be decided by public vote once the competition ends. Voters will give each game a score out of 5. Voters will be expected to have played, and to vote on, at least half of all games entered. However, of course, playing them all is preferable.

The competition will start on Friday the 8th of July, to give people a chance to read this announcement. You should not start making your game until then. Even if you think you have no chance of winning, you're encouraged to enter - it's as much a forum activity as a contest.

Absolutely no information about your game should be shared with anyone until the competition and voting has ended. Please reply to this post if you intend to take part, but don't give any idea of what your game will be about.

ADDITIONAL CLARIFICATION:

By a room, we do not necessarily mean one crm file. If you want to use other rooms for effects such as time passing, changes in the style of the room, minigames such as the sniper mode in 6DA etc, that's fine but the bulk of the game should be centered around one location.

Check the previous OROW contest entries to get an idea of what you can do in a week. Just be creative, think small, and confine it to one physical, walkable-aroundable room/location.

ENTRIES AVAILABLE HERE.

WINNERS ANNOUNCED HERE.

Kweepa

Aieee! Not again!
This ate every second of my waking life last time. Great fun though.
Good luck to the competitors...
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

magintz

When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Vel

Hey, if anyone wants a tune or two for their game, send me a pm.

LGM

I was planning on doing it this time, but it just so happens I won't be here. THANKS ALOT JERK!
You. Me. Denny's.

Gord10

Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Grundislav

CodeJunkie

I'm in...maybe.  The thought of 24 hour slavery that the MAGS contests drove me to kinda freaks me out.

Ghormak

The probability of me participating is > 0
Achtung Franz! The comic

Tiki

And it seems that I shall enter.  I apparently have my vacation the exact time Brittens starts and ends, so I should be back here right before this officially begins.

I'm involved in other projects, but, heck, it's only one week!  I need to get something out there.

Yar!

dasjoe

i'll take part.. unless i can't get it to work the way i want it to be. rather improbable.
... it's quite easy being the best.

Pelican

I might possibly maybe enter.Ã,  ;D Unless I'm doing research for my dissertation (like that's gonna happen!).

bush_monkey

I really want to enter but my full game Valis is eating up my life at the moment  :P I might still try and squeeze something out just for a breah of fresh air....And to force myself to actually animate characters  ;D

Ubel

I will enter if I get enough time. I don't really know if I'll even be at home then. Hopefully will...

SpacePirateCaine

This is my ambiguous entry statement. I'd like to give it a whack, but I'm ridiculously slow when actually attempting to release something. But another project is a breath of fresh air I may desperately need.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I may enter, and regardless of meeting the date or not, this is one game I WILL submit to the masses since it has been extremely easy to make (already about 45% done).  One thing that doesn't make much sense to me about this competition is keeping the creator of a particular game a secret...I'd like to know the rationale behind that concept, when I thought the point was just to set guidelines basic enough to complete a game.  Anyway, it'll be done and out there either way, so stay tuned!

Helm

The idea is that people will play all of them, not just those of people they think are awesome game designers. Maybe be suprized a bit, give a chance to other people they might not know. Partly that. Besides that, the idea is that people will vote on the individual merits of these games, not based on who their friends are. In action, it was proven that people voted great on all categories on the games they liked. This made the top few games come out with boosted scores across the board, whereas I think it would make more sense for some games to win scripting and graphics, others music etc. This was also the paradigm in the AGS Awards, with Apprentice sweeping most awards ( in my opinion) needlessly. People don't seem to understand the concept of categorical voting on any other level than rewarding the creators for nice 'gaming experiences' on the whole.

I am also in for the second time. As long as there's an orow competition around, I'll be making games.

And a plea to scotch/CJ/moderators: Give a little more visibility to the compo this time. Something more than a sticky. Put a message above the boards or something. And when the games are made and scotch/aga/whoever puts them in a rar and posts them, make that .rar very visible. First page of the thread, not 5th.
WINTERKILL

Esseb

People, people. You're not supposed to start before the 8th of July. At least don't take longer than 7 days to finish your game and let it brood when you're done. And keep in mind the additionar special rules may not fit your game. Best to wait till the 8th really.

magintz

I wouldn't mind seeing some interesting and unique gui's used rather than the standard default AGS. Just a quick question, I'm not going to do it as I wan;t it to be a 100% magintz game, but would using RON resources ok for this game either this time round or in the future?
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

edmundito

Count me in for round 2! I didn't finish my game the first time because I was busy, but I shouldn't be busy for the next two weeks!

And also, I got an idea for a game alright...

I've been reading y'all's posts and I think I'm going to give a little tip that perhaps it's lingering in your head but you don't want to admit:

Keep it simple

That's the trick to getting it done. Don't try to make a full length game that takes place in one room. Come up with something that is appropiate for a single room, like a short play or something. Unless you really want to crack a title sequence and other things like that for a single room, which seems silly to me.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk