Stranger At Midnight - Upd: 29 July 2005

Started by fivetrickpony, Sun 14/11/2004 17:08:17

Previous topic - Next topic

fivetrickpony

Thank you, Mr. Hyde! :)

I've finally finished the prologue. It took a little longer than usual because I ran into some scripting problems. Life sucks when you're not a talented scripter and have to work everything from scratch. Sometimes AGS scares me.

Nine Toes

Heh.Ã,  I know exactly what you mean. :)Ã,  Sometime AGS intimidates me a little too much as well.

A little off-topic:  I looked at your site.  The game "Stranger By Night", did you make that one as well?
Watch, I just killed this topic...

fivetrickpony

Hi! Yes, I made "Stranger by Night" as well.  'Stranger At Midnight' is the sequel to that game.

:)

fivetrickpony

Update
I've just finished a second set of sprites for Katrina. It was something that wasn't really necessary but I thought it would be cool for her to have a costume change in the game so she wasn't wearing the same thing the whole time. Now that that's done I can continue working on the core elements of the game again. I've edited the first post to include a screenshot of Katrina's second outfit. Yay!

As usual, for more info+screenshots of the game you can visit the official website. Peace!

ildu

fivetrickpony

29 July 2005: Short update. I just finished coding some really cool dialogue. I'm excited about the amount of dialogue in the game. So far it's just the first two conversations in Act One, and I've already reached 400 lines of conversation so that's exciting. (by comparison, in Stranger 1, the total amount of conversation [ie, Katrina actually speaking to another character] was about 20 lines .... shocking I know) I'm discovering that dialogue is an excellent tool for fleshing out characters, and hopefully I will be successful in giving each NPC their own personality. I've also implemented a little 'Nice/Rude' system, wherein being nice or rude to characters reveal different consequences - sometimes minor, sometimes major.

New screenshot below. That's Katrina and an NPC, Megan, by the pool side. Megan is spoilt, rich and demanding wife, who's really only interested in the sound of her own voice.

PS: This game is close to being 9 months in the making. That's way too long. I need to speed things up.

Snarky

Marvellous! More dialogue would definitely be appreciated, though be careful you don't overdo it. Too much of a good thing...

I like the new character sprites. Katrina is looking better for every update! What is that yellow line between her face and her hair? Is she wearing a golden eye patch?

If you can speed it up without compromising the quality, that would be cool. It's definitely on my "eagerly anticipated" list.

fivetrickpony

Haha, no it's not a golden eye patch :) It's a strand of hair dyed blonde.

Most of the dialogue is optional. I know some people don't like dialogue, so you'll only unlock the 400+ (so far!) lines if you're really, really interested.  It's not necessary to listen to all the dialogue to finish the game. It's just there to flesh out the characters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk