Hauntings Of Mystery Manor

Started by Ghostlady, Sun 19/06/2005 00:28:09

Previous topic - Next topic

browns

I think that AGS is a free software.so the games which are made with this software must be free.
and I want to notice that there are many countries that the people do not use credit cards.... :-[

Gilbert

Nope, it's written explicitly in the AGS documents that you can make commercial games, as long as you follow several simple rules.

cappella

hi ghostlady,

i saw the screenshots  and i have read the thread about your game. nice work, but not really worth 15 $ I think. the screens could have more shadow-detail... they seems too flat. sad about the icons, they could have a (ghostly) design, not the standard from ags. i like the ghosts (nice transparency)
. at last, i would play it, it looks interesting, but i would not pay 15 $ for an unfinished game (icons).
We are making a game "noah" in ags too, and we still thinking about it to make it commercial, but we dont wont you to pay for it. but, as you say, good graphics and sound are not cheap, and if we spend money in our game, it would be nice to get it back when its finished. We had spend very much tiime in the game and we will spend another year to finish it, because we have about 150 rooms and 30 hours of gameplay. 15-20 minutes of videos sequences take also a lot of our time.
3 years of production, and if we decide to make it commercial, it will cost not more than 10$.

remember, a very good game with a very low price will get more popular because more people will play it. take 15 $ for your game and only 20 people will buy it = 300$. but take 2 $ for it and 1000 people will buy it = 2000$  :-)

anyway, very good luck with selling your game...

cappella

so sorry, this thread had to be in "haunting of mystery manor" as a reply.
dont know why its going in a new topic,

Ghostlady

Hi cappella,

Just because I used the default AGS icons does not make the game unfinished.Ã,  I actually like the icons.Ã,  Different strokes for different folks.Ã,  ;)

I would not want to spend three years making a game.Ã,  You have to understand this was a one woman show and not a group of people coming together to make a game.

All the feedback I have received has been positive.Ã,  The one word that I hear continually is "Fun".Ã,  Is that not what a game is supposed to be?Ã,  I have spent $20.00 on a 40 hour game that was bug filled and spent my whole playtime walking around and getting frustrated.Ã,  I would much rather pay $15.00 for a game that was fun and memorable.Ã,  But again, different strokes for different folks.

Here is an example of what I mean:

FeedBack

Quoteremember, a very good game with a very low price will get more popular because more people will play it. take 15 $ for your game and only 20 people will buy it = 300$. but take 2 $ for it and 1000 people will buy it = 2000$

You are so wrong.

Good luck with your game Noah, I wish you the best with it!!!

Ghostlady

My Games:

Intrigue At Oakhaven Plantation
Haunting at Cliffhouse

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Quoteremember, a very good game with a very low price will get more popular because more people will play it. take 15 $ for your game and only 20 people will buy it = 300$. but take 2 $ for it and 1000 people will buy it = 2000$

You are so wrong.

I'm curious now. Why is he so wrong? You said so, but you didn't say why, and yet it seems like good logic. And it applies for me - it's rather steep for a game which has, supposedly, 3 hours length and did not "bother" to have a different-than-default GUI, and which ripped off at least one screen from another computer game (well, not "ripped off", you painted it over, but it's still very clearly from Phantasmagoria's dining room). Anyway, that's *my* preferences - like you said, different folks, different strokes. But I still find logic in his statement. Why is he "so wrong"?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

cappella

Quote"you are so wrong"

as you said: different folks, different strokes " :-)

besides, we are only two people (one for the story and riddles, and me, for the graphics, movies, scripting and designs) ! and we spend three years into the game because a good story needs time.!

you said:
Quote"All the feedback I have received has been positive.Ã,  The one word that I hear continually is "Fun".Ã,  Is that not what a game is supposed to be?Ã,  I have spent $20.00 on a 40 hour game that was bug filled and spent my whole playtime walking around and getting frustrated.Ã,  I would much rather pay $15.00 for a game that was fun and memorable."

i know what you mean and you are absolutly right with that. still i think the icons in your game kills the atmosphere. anyway, i think your game is a nice work, but not ready for commercial.

keep up the good work--

Potch

I think his logic makes sense as well.  I think a lot more people would buy it at a lower price.  And that's the thing.  If I had the skills and creativity to make a game, and I thought it was good enough to sell, I would want the most people possible to buy it, so I would put it at a lower price.  I figure, the more people that see it, the better.  But I suppose we all have different opinions on that.  I have commented on this before.  I don't even buy mainstream games for that much.  If there is a mainstream game that I want, the highest I will pay is 10 dollars.  I'll wait till I can find it used or buy it off of EBAY. 

I'm glad that people are buying your game.  I wish that I could, because it seems very good. 
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Ghostlady

Rui,

Quoteand which ripped off at least one screen from another computer game (well, not "ripped off", you painted it over, but it's still very clearly from Phantasmagoria's dining room).

That room was not ripped off or painted over.Ã,  It was created from scratch.Ã,  I think you should get your facts straight before you make a comment like that.Ã, 

I can't take anyone seriously when they put the word "fucking" in their signature.

My Games:

Haunting at Cliffhouse

Kweepa

About the price of the game, for downloadable games there is experimental evidence that refutes the charge less, sell more argument. In this particular case, the price cutoff was $15 - sales increased when the price was raised. One explanation for this is the perceived worth of a product. If you charge too little, people may think that it's low quality.
I don't have any references, because I heard this directly from a publisher.

I'd be curious to know how well your game is selling, if you don't mind sharing that information here.

As for the "rip off", it's easy to imagine two artists drawing a similar scene, particularly if they both used the same reference material, or had the same influences. In any case, I don't see how a render could be considered a paint over. Unless you can provide proof, Rui, I think an apology is in order?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Ghostlady

Thank you Steve.  I couldn't have worded it better, on all accounts.  For the sake of other adventure game developers who would like to create a Commercial game, I will share this info.

Games Sold in 3 weeks:

CD's - 86
Downloads - 14
Total:  110

That is about half of what it cost me to make it.
My Games:

Haunting at Cliffhouse

Candle

As you will surely find out you will be lucky to break even .

Mr Jake

It cost you $3000 to make the game? Jesus Christ. Mind explaining where it all went, so anyone else considering it knows what to expect?

Kweepa

Quote from: Candle on Sat 09/07/2005 00:17:26
As you will surely find out you will be lucky to break even .

Given that she's already recouped half the costs, as long as the game is kept somewhat visible, I don't foresee any difficulty. There will probably be a trickle of sales for a year or two.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Ghostlady

QuoteIt cost you $3000 to make the game? Jesus Christ. Mind explaining where it all went, so anyone else considering it knows what to expect?

It might not be this way for anyone else.Ã,  These were my choices.Ã,  I opted to purchase all the graphics and the production music.Ã,  There is a 30 second music loop in there that cost $65.00.Ã,  99 % of people making an adventure game would not have opted to spend that on music.Ã,  Let alone on one little piece of music.Ã,  I am the lone 1%.Ã,  But.....the music is haunting and beautiful.Ã,  The game has ATMOSPHERE.Ã,  That was created by the graphics and working the music just right.Ã, 

I believe I'll get my money out of it.Ã,  I won't become rich from it.Ã,  It is not really about the money.Ã,  I mean I don't want to loose money, I'd like to re-coup what I spent on it and use it to create another.Ã,  It is about creating an entertaining adventure game.Ã, 
My Games:

Haunting at Cliffhouse

Ghostlady

Moderator,

If this is not an acceptable post, please delete it.

I thought it might be nice to offer a couple copies of the game to the people here at AGS.  Especially to the people who have a real interest in it.  Post and let me know you are interested and I'll do the old pull the name from the hat trick.  I'll only offer it as a download and it is about 50MG. 
My Games:

Haunting at Cliffhouse

Candle

If you look at any walmart when a game comes out you will see it on the shelf for so many days
After that time they start to move in new games and they will start moving the older games down on the shelfs .
Most game companys know if they don't make their money in the first x amout of days they will call it a loss .
I don't see this game making the $3000 sorry .  Just my option ..
Once the game is downloaded or sold to someone it is only matter of time when it will be able to download for everyone . if they know where to look .

Esseb

Yes, I can easily imagine most people who'd consider paying $15 for an indie game would know where to illegally aquire games. Especially the esoteric sort which is only sold online to a limited audience. My bookmarks are brimming with those.

Candle

Quote from: Esseb on Sat 09/07/2005 05:00:29
Yes, I can easily imagine most people who'd consider paying $15 for an indie game would know where to illegally aquire games. Especially the esoteric sort which is only sold online to a limited audience. My bookmarks are brimming with those.
Bright .. geeee why didn't I think of it ..

Barbarian

GhostLady:
My respects to you.

So far, everything I've seen and heard of your game, it looks and sounds amazing.
Also the storyline is really interesting too. Ã, I can appreciate all of the hard-work and effort you put into making your game, and you show a real dedication and passion in making your game to be willing to even pay for the professional art/graphics and music as you Ã, did.

I can understand that because it costs you a fair amount of money to include some of thoses elements into your game, that you would like to recover your costs and then be willing to reinvest any money from the sales of your game into making future gaming project(s). Ã, 

Perhaps a few months down the road when I get on top of some of my bills and have a few extra dollars to spare, I may purchase a copy of your game as well. Ã, 

I imagine this "Mystery Manor" project has been a real good learning experience for you (the few game projects I have worked on myself has be a great learning experience for me in many ways too). Keep an open mind about comments made by people regarding your game (good and bad), suggestions, etc.. and try to look at it as "constructive critisism" to furthur improve your game-making skills for any future projects you may work on.
I wish you all the best with your gaming projects, and I hope you will continue with making more games.

Best regards.

*Edit: Oh, Ghostlady, I just re-read your last post and noticed you might do a name-draw to give away a couple of free downloads of your game? Very generous of you. Throw my name in the "hat" as well too.  ;D
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk