Caribbean Mysteries

Started by Mats Berglinn, Sat 09/07/2005 09:07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Mats Berglinn

I'm working on a pirate comedy game in Monkey Island style humor. I've been working on the story from Fall 2000 or 2001 (I don't remember so well), about a year or two before discovered AGS but I wanted to wait with this project until my skills with the programmed had improved. But enough talk about the backstory already!

The Story:

From Torleif Shufflefoot's diary:

It has been three days since my pet monkey Crispy and I were marooned on this deserted island after the incident with the kitchenfire. The day after we landed on the beach, we were able to build a raft out of timbers and some old shipwreck parts. Three days we spent floating on the big ocean without seeing anyÃ,  trace of land. And we didn't have much food with us either, just a couple of fruits from the island, some half-eaten Butterfingers and just two bottles of water. It seemed like we were done for until Crispy spotted the island. It turned out when we got on land that we were on Touché Island, a small island in the middle of the Caribbean.

A guy from the island's tourist information booth told us the story of the Legenday Pirate Hero John Lance LeDrake.
A pirate who posessed an enormous treasure.
The most valuable treasure on Earth some dared to claim, it was even rumored to have magical powers. Pirates have seeked this treasure for generations ever since the 17th century, but is still remained unfound.
I figured out that finding the treasure would help me to become a much better pirate and correct all the mistakes I've done.

I was told that there is an evil pirate captain called Pepperoni, who also wants to find the treasure. Could it be that he wants the treasure in order to use it's powers to take over the planet? I guess only time will tell. Oh, and I must remember to buy some new socks, my old ones are starting to stink.

The Progress (Demo version)

Story and Puzzles: 100 %
Backgrounds: 97 %
Scripting: 89 %
Sounds and voices: 15 %
Music (original): 0 % (Going to get some background music from BerserkerTails soon)
Music (temp, from various Monkey Island games. Will be replaced once I've got new pieces): 100 %
Animations: 45 % (Mostly talking animations and some other actions)

The progress (Full version)

Story and Puzzles: 100 %
Backgrounds: 20 %
Scripting: To be comfirmed...
Sounds and voices: TBC.
Music (original): 0 %
Music: (temp): TBC.
Animations: TBC.

Demo Release date: August 2005.
Full Game release: Before the end of 2005 (hopefully).
Game lenght category: Full Game

Screenshots:

Background, character art and concept
by Mats Berglinn
Story by Mats Berglinn
Ideas by Mats Berglinn and Fredrik Engwall (a friend of mine, not an AGS-member)
Scripting by Mats Berglinn
Sound Effects from Different Sources
Music by BerserkerTails

The MI2 SCUMM Template by Prosikito

Voice Cast so far

Starring: Marius 'Jaws' Finnstun, James 'eVOLVE' Hammer-Morton, Dave Gilbert, Mark 'm0ds' Lovegrove, Andrew "LGM" Edmark, Greg 'Geoffkhan' Schlaepfer, Marcus 'Largo' S, Alex "Krazy" Scobell, 'Fat' Jack Rafferty, Rebecca "Azure" McCarthy...

And Mats Berglinn as Crispy the Monkey and The Gorilla.

Edit: By the way, I'm still missing two voice actors. The main villan Captain Pepe Roni (he's the guy in the last screenshot). For more info check out the ACR - Need Help With A Adventure Game thread.

11: 50 July 9:th, 2005: Corrected the story structure and added credit to Proskito.
12: 34 July 10:th: Corrected some mistakes in the story.
19: 21 July 12:th: New background added. To be ready soon.
19:59 July 13:th: Request for two character voices.
08:42 July 16:th: Updated process.
09:49 July 18:th: Comfirmed that BerserkerTails is now the musician for the game.
22:04 July 20:th: Updated process.
19:16 July 23:d: Updated process on both demo and full version. Gave credit to my friend Fredrik Engwall for some game ideas.
21:19 July 27:th: Delaying the release for the Demo version.
09:18 August 5:th: Added a new voice actor a updated the cast. Still searching for a voice for Pepe Roni.

ildu

Looks and sounds great! I gotta say, seeing that random work on the crit's lounge, I wasn't sure about this one. But you've totally proven my logic wrong. Thanks for that. ;D

Btw, you should really clean up that story. It's got a lot of typos, and grammar and punctuation errors. It was really hard to read, having divided concentration.

EDIT: I cleaned it up a bit. There's still many structural errors, though.

From Torleif Shufflefoot's diary:

It has been three days since my pet monkey Crispy and I were marooned on this deserted island after the incident with the fire in the kitchen. The day after, we were able to get out of there by building a raft out of timbers and some old shipwreck parts. Three days we spent floating on the big ocean without seeing any land. And we didn't have much food with us either (just a couple of fruits from the island, some half-eaten Butterfingers and just two bottles of water). It seemed like we were done for until Crispy saw the island from a distance. It turned out when we got on land that we were on Touché Island, a small island in the middle of the Caribbean.

A man from the island's tourist information booth told us about a legend of an infamous pirate hero called John Lance LeDrake, who had an enormous treasure. The treasure is told to be the most valuable treasure on Earth and is rumored to have magical powers. Many pirates have searched for it for generations ever since the 17th century, but no one has ever found it. I thought that finding the treasure would help me to become a better pirate and make up for all the mistakes I've done in the past.

I was told that there is an evil pirate captain called Pepperoni, who also wants to find the treasure. Could it be that he wants the treasure in order to use it's powers to take over the planet? Only time will tell. Oh, and I must remember to buy some new socks.

magintz

Looking forward to it. My only critisism with the game is on the last screen; the GUI is part of the sceen if you see what I mean. To me this just doesn't seem right and could confuse people.

And if you have some time, I'm sure some shading could make the graphics look nicer than they already are. Apart from that the game looks great and I can't wait to play the full thing.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

ildu

Quote from: magintz on Sat 09/07/2005 10:07:26
Looking forward to it. My only critisism with the game is on the last screen; the GUI is part of the sceen if you see what I mean. To me this just doesn't seem right and could confuse people.

And if you have some time, I'm sure some shading could make the graphics look nicer than they already are. Apart from that the game looks great and I can't wait to play the full thing.

Oh, those are inventory items?! I guess I'm one of those people you were talking about. Yup, a better gui is in order.

I don't know if the shading is that good of an idea. This has it's own original style. I'm saying, sure if you want you could shade, and it probably would look better, but you also want to retain some style of your own. Plus, if you've got a lot of backgrounds done, it's gonna be a hell of a lot work to redo all of them and keep a similar look.

Mats Berglinn

I see what you mean with the Inventory thing. Funny that nobody complained with it on the Frank the Farmhand games but I will fix that in time for the demo release.

Ildu: Thanks for cleaning up the story for me.

Magintz: I will fix the shading for the last two backgrounds soon. It's just that making backgrounds are time consuming even if draw by hand, scan and clean and color them in Paint and Photoshop (plus steadily switch between the two programs since both have pros and cons against each other) so often I wait with the shading until I'm done with the other things.

magintz

Yea I'm very much the same, I use those two programs for thier pors and cons. As for the shading I can understand what you mean. Myself being very artistically challenged I have great difficulty doing the simplest things in the shortest amount of time.

Looking forward to this game though.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

MalleTheRedPhoenix

Sounds good!
I look forward to this title!

Mats Berglinn

A new background has been almost completed but it needs finetuning. To see it and give comments about it, check out the Critic's Lounge, please.

Fugu

hey! is that  "mumbo jumbo" depicted on the tourist info hut (the second picture)?
if its him, i cant wait to play it.. :D

Mats Berglinn

Sorry to dissapoint you Fugu but that's not Mumbo-Jumbo from Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. That's actually another shaman called Burga but sure was thinking of him when I thought about Burga. Hope you still want to play the game even if Mumbo-Jumbo isn't in this game.

Krazy

Sounds like this game should end up as a decent enjoyable romp. Good luck with it! Though,  I'd recomend chosing a higher res font, the one you have now sort of kills the mood of the graphics  ;)
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

Mats Berglinn

Don't worry, Krazy! I'm just using the MI2 Template's font until I can figure out or find any new/better font. It will be replaced.

Krazy

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Wed 13/07/2005 14:21:19
Don't worry, Krazy! I'm just using the MI2 Template's font until I can figure out or find any new/better font. It will be replaced.

You can use any windows font you like and just have AGS automaticly create an outline for it.
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

BerserkerTails

This is looking quite good, Mats. I've been watching your stuff in the Critic's Lounge for a while, and it just keeps getting better.

I noticed you were looking for a musician. Perhaps I could help? I've been wanting to work on a new score for quite sometime now. As for examples of my work, I did the music for "Two of a Kind".
I make music.

Mats Berglinn

Sure thing, BersekerTails! I really like what you did for Two of a Kind. I will either e-mail or PM you for more details on the music. Thanks for the help!

For everybody else: It's comfirmed that BerserkerTails will do the music for the game.

Mats Berglinn

Have finished a non-talking/walking character animation and are going to start on another backgrounds. The background that I mentioned earlier is nearly done, just one detail of fine tuning but it's near complete.

I've also added "frames" to the inventory items so they don't mix up with the backgrounds or to be confused with objects. I'll fix a screenshot so you see what I mean.

calacver

This game looks awesome. I like the graphics, very cool. I creates an excellent atmosphere.

Mats Berglinn

Another background is done. One more to go before all the backgrounds for the demo version are complete (a part for some fine tuning for some of them).

Mats Berglinn

All the backgrounds are now finished, like I said earlier, a couple needs finetunin but other than that it they're finished. Some animations have been done. The process will be updated as soon as I calcutlated it out. I'll release the demo as soon as it's finished. I'll try to make it before the end of the month.

Azure

ooooh it's looking very nice so far, I'm look fowards to playing it.
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk