Police Quest 2 - Updated Nov 20, 2005

Started by DCillusion, Mon 11/07/2005 19:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

DCillusion

I am officially announcing The release of Police Quest II Vengeance.  A remake of the popular 1988 title that many believe to be the best in the series.  A cat & mouse game from start to finish, you must hunt down a drug lord turned serial killer within 2 days.  You'll have to use true police procedure to solve puzzles.  The game features expanded puzzles, story, and original scenes.

Release Date: Q2 2006

Oakwood Mall

Shooting Gallery

Training Room

Developer Diary
Background Graphics: 75%
Music: 100%
Sound FX: 30%
Sprites: 1%
Scripting: 1%

ildu

Dexter

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Finally someone has thought to take on this mighty task.

One thing . . . 1:1 remake? or are you putting some little extras?

DCillusion

Mostly 1:1 remake.  Of course, some things have to be changed; like expanding the police station.  I'm also trying to rework parts of the plot so you solve some of the mystery.  Most people's main problem with this game is that your character is constantly following Bains' trail of carnage until reaching him at the end.

Dexter

Bernie

That looks great so far! :D
Would love to see a pic of the main character, if possible.

PsychicHeart

Sweet Merciful Crap! Those are GREAT graphics! I suppose [this is just a thought] you could make this now a 3D OTS!
Incredible graphics!

edit OTS = Over the Shoulder
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

DCillusion

I guess I'm showing my age, but I don't know what OTS stands for - please clarify.  I'm glad people are as excited about this as I am, & I promise to finish it in good time.  To answer the character question, below is the character as you will see him in the game.

Blitzerland

Over the shoulder?! It's a remake. That would totally change the game. Besides, he's already completed 15 rooms.  ::)

Blackthorne

As a fellow remaker of Sierra games, I must say this looks awesome and I wish you well on your project!

If you need any help, gimme a shout.  PM me.  I'd help out if I can.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

DCillusion

Blackthorne:
I was just thinking that if I had any questions, I would be PM'ing you.

So thanks for the invite - when I get into trouble, I'll definitely take you up on the offer.

Mozesh

Looks & sounds great DCillusion!
I can't wait :)
Hey I recognize that guy, I saw him in the critics lounge.

Kweepa

Looks great!
I've always wanted to see what the big deal is with Police Quest.

Oh, and Vengence -> Vengeance.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

DCillusion

Anarcho

This looks awesome.  I love the graphics, they look fantastic.  I wish you well...this has to be a challenging project, Police Quest games are sooo complicated.

snoopy

Just wondering if you will make changes with the shooting range.

John Swanson

GarageGothic

Looks awesome. PQ2 is one of my favorite games, and it certainly looks like you're doing it justice. The graphics are great, and the character seems to fit the PQ3 style. I see that Sonny decided to keep his bleached hair from PQ1, like in the original :).

A few suggestions/concerns though, from a PQ2 fan:

A larger police station could  make for a lot of empty hallways to walk through and elevators to wait for. I found this quite annoying in PQ3, PQ4 and the PQ1 remake. Perhaps you could add a map on the lobby wall, from which you could teleport to other floors/rooms?

Have you decided how you're going to do the evidence gathering? The new interface could make it too easy to find all the clues in the cars by just clicking wildly everywhere. Perhaps changing to close-ups of interesting areas (under seat, dashboard and wheel, glovebox) for closer scrutiny would work well, somewhat like in the CSI games.

I wonder how the airplane hijacking scene will work in these terrorist sensitive days... But perhaps the game would be better off without it - it did detract somewhat from urgency of the Bains case.

The sewers with their trial-and-error gas pockets scream for a re-design.

Good luck with the project!

DCillusion

I've been debating about whether, or not, to keep the shooting gallery.  I think if I made it like Police Quest 4, it wouldn't be so annoying.

I'm trying to squeeze the floors into a room in each screen, & staying away from empty areas.  Certainly, you should never have to wait for the elevator.  I never thought of a map on the wall - that's a good idea.

Switching to a lot of close-ups is the most logical way to handle evidence gathering.  It always works very well.

No, there will be no terrorists hijacking an airplane.  It's stupid, although the bomb puzzle wasn't bad.  If it could be placed somewhere else, that would be fine.

Gas pockets are gone!!!  Everybody hates them!  Every room in the sewer system is going to be instantly recognizable.  You supposed to find Marie in the sewer, not get lost in a game maze.

In case some people are interested in this game, but haven't played PQ2-EGA.....there's no driving!! :D - it's closest to Police Quest: Open Season

Klytos

Quote from: DCillusion on Tue 12/07/2005 05:14:47
Blackthorne:
I was just thinking that if I had any questions, I would be PM'ing you.

So thanks for the invite - when I get into trouble, I'll definitely take you up on the offer.

The same goes here DCillusion. Let me know if I can be of any help.

DCillusion

Wow! - Thanks

I, honestly, didn't know so many would be interested in the project.  Converting from EGA to VGA isn't as much of a feat as CGA to VGA.  It's incredible to get so much feedback!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk