Police Quest 2 - Updated Nov 20, 2005

Started by DCillusion, Mon 11/07/2005 19:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

DCillusion

I am officially announcing The release of Police Quest II Vengeance.  A remake of the popular 1988 title that many believe to be the best in the series.  A cat & mouse game from start to finish, you must hunt down a drug lord turned serial killer within 2 days.  You'll have to use true police procedure to solve puzzles.  The game features expanded puzzles, story, and original scenes.

Release Date: Q2 2006

Oakwood Mall

Shooting Gallery

Training Room

Developer Diary
Background Graphics: 75%
Music: 100%
Sound FX: 30%
Sprites: 1%
Scripting: 1%

ildu

Dexter

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Finally someone has thought to take on this mighty task.

One thing . . . 1:1 remake? or are you putting some little extras?

DCillusion

Mostly 1:1 remake.  Of course, some things have to be changed; like expanding the police station.  I'm also trying to rework parts of the plot so you solve some of the mystery.  Most people's main problem with this game is that your character is constantly following Bains' trail of carnage until reaching him at the end.

Dexter

Bernie

That looks great so far! :D
Would love to see a pic of the main character, if possible.

PsychicHeart

Sweet Merciful Crap! Those are GREAT graphics! I suppose [this is just a thought] you could make this now a 3D OTS!
Incredible graphics!

edit OTS = Over the Shoulder
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

DCillusion

I guess I'm showing my age, but I don't know what OTS stands for - please clarify.  I'm glad people are as excited about this as I am, & I promise to finish it in good time.  To answer the character question, below is the character as you will see him in the game.

Blitzerland

Over the shoulder?! It's a remake. That would totally change the game. Besides, he's already completed 15 rooms.  ::)

Blackthorne

As a fellow remaker of Sierra games, I must say this looks awesome and I wish you well on your project!

If you need any help, gimme a shout.  PM me.  I'd help out if I can.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

DCillusion

Blackthorne:
I was just thinking that if I had any questions, I would be PM'ing you.

So thanks for the invite - when I get into trouble, I'll definitely take you up on the offer.

Mozesh

Looks & sounds great DCillusion!
I can't wait :)
Hey I recognize that guy, I saw him in the critics lounge.

Kweepa

Looks great!
I've always wanted to see what the big deal is with Police Quest.

Oh, and Vengence -> Vengeance.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

DCillusion

Anarcho

This looks awesome.  I love the graphics, they look fantastic.  I wish you well...this has to be a challenging project, Police Quest games are sooo complicated.

snoopy

Just wondering if you will make changes with the shooting range.

John Swanson

GarageGothic

Looks awesome. PQ2 is one of my favorite games, and it certainly looks like you're doing it justice. The graphics are great, and the character seems to fit the PQ3 style. I see that Sonny decided to keep his bleached hair from PQ1, like in the original :).

A few suggestions/concerns though, from a PQ2 fan:

A larger police station could  make for a lot of empty hallways to walk through and elevators to wait for. I found this quite annoying in PQ3, PQ4 and the PQ1 remake. Perhaps you could add a map on the lobby wall, from which you could teleport to other floors/rooms?

Have you decided how you're going to do the evidence gathering? The new interface could make it too easy to find all the clues in the cars by just clicking wildly everywhere. Perhaps changing to close-ups of interesting areas (under seat, dashboard and wheel, glovebox) for closer scrutiny would work well, somewhat like in the CSI games.

I wonder how the airplane hijacking scene will work in these terrorist sensitive days... But perhaps the game would be better off without it - it did detract somewhat from urgency of the Bains case.

The sewers with their trial-and-error gas pockets scream for a re-design.

Good luck with the project!

DCillusion

I've been debating about whether, or not, to keep the shooting gallery.  I think if I made it like Police Quest 4, it wouldn't be so annoying.

I'm trying to squeeze the floors into a room in each screen, & staying away from empty areas.  Certainly, you should never have to wait for the elevator.  I never thought of a map on the wall - that's a good idea.

Switching to a lot of close-ups is the most logical way to handle evidence gathering.  It always works very well.

No, there will be no terrorists hijacking an airplane.  It's stupid, although the bomb puzzle wasn't bad.  If it could be placed somewhere else, that would be fine.

Gas pockets are gone!!!  Everybody hates them!  Every room in the sewer system is going to be instantly recognizable.  You supposed to find Marie in the sewer, not get lost in a game maze.

In case some people are interested in this game, but haven't played PQ2-EGA.....there's no driving!! :D - it's closest to Police Quest: Open Season

Klytos

Quote from: DCillusion on Tue 12/07/2005 05:14:47
Blackthorne:
I was just thinking that if I had any questions, I would be PM'ing you.

So thanks for the invite - when I get into trouble, I'll definitely take you up on the offer.

The same goes here DCillusion. Let me know if I can be of any help.

DCillusion

Wow! - Thanks

I, honestly, didn't know so many would be interested in the project.  Converting from EGA to VGA isn't as much of a feat as CGA to VGA.  It's incredible to get so much feedback!

nippywiffle

Hi your graphics look excellent. I can't wait for you to finish this game, I've waited so long for a PQ2 VGA remake :-D

Do you have a website with updates on your progress? I want to check every day to see if you released it yet :-D

netdroid9

Quote from: DCillusion on Wed 13/07/2005 16:33:56
I've been debating about whether, or not, to keep the shooting gallery.  I think if I made it like Police Quest 4, it wouldn't be so annoying.

I think the best idea is to add a skip dialogue, like the one in Space Quest 4. (I havn't played Police Quest 4, so ignore me if it does this too :).)

Nice gfx by the way :).

DCillusion

The website will come when I've completed the resources, (backgrounds, sprites, etc.), during the actual game-building process.

- In Police Quest 4, the puzzle is optional.  If you want more points, you do it.  If you hate the puzzle & want to beat the game, you skip it.

Dexter

I think adding the shooting gallery would be awesome.  that was one of my favorite parts.  Mind you it did get a tad annoying always having to adjust the sights.

I've always wanted a game with the shooting gallery where you had a choice of a weapon.  Like a shot gun for example.

Risk

Ah! Perfect! *excited* I started doing this about ... oh... 1 year ago... if you haven't implemented the title, character, and icons already, I can send you what I've got if you are interested! Thanks!

Hope to hear from you soon...

email me at:

y9k_compatible@hotmail.com

peace

DCillusion

Initially, I was worried about giving too much away in showing screenshots for the game.  At the same time, after looking at the screenshots presented, I now realize the pics don't really represent the art of the game. 

I may not do this again for awhile, but at least with the new screens, I'll have put my best foot forward.

Superman95

what's the art done in?  it sort of looks 3d rendered...but i can't tell.

PsychicHeart

that's why i reckon it could be an OTS. The graphics look so frikken' 3D!
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

DCillusion

They're are, fully, 3D images rendered at ultra-high resolutions, (about 1600x1200).  Then put through 1 cell renderer & 1 sketch renderer.  The 2 pictures are combined & turned into a painted canvas using Paint Shop Pro.  The whole scene is then shrunk down to game resolution, & colours are reduced to give the entire picture a look

The process from design to render to filter takes about 5-6 hours, but I know plenty of people who spend much longer just drawing their artwork.  I love the old games, & nostalgia hits me pretty deep.  3D-art is where my skills lie, however, so I'm using filters to get as close to the old art as possible.

As far as "Over-the-Shoulder" , this is a remake.  I really can't, nor will I, break from the traditional Sierra mold this game was created with.  I want people to feel the way I did when I first ripped open Police Quest 3, & I don't think they will if I don't stay true to the style.

IceMan

Now that's a smart idea!  And 5-6 hours is pretty darn short considering the quality of the screens.

Just be careful, though, with the backgrounds where the camera's looking down.  The 3d effect tends to be lost when 2d sprites are put onto a screen at the wrong angle

What a loser.

Amazing, I love the 3D VGA effects truly fantastic. :)

Broomie

Not the greatest achievement, but I've added your game to Fanventures. If you have a better logo I could use please tell me. :)

http://www.fanventures.com/ - Click on Fangames then Police Quest 2 VGA
Broomie
Infamous Quests
Kickstart Ventures
http://www.kickstartadventure.com
-------------------

DCillusion

Wow, thanks!!

I'm not sure what you mean by logo.......Like a corporate logo.Ã,  If it's that simple, I gotten that far, here it is -

If you're thinking of a final title.......It's Police Quest 2 - Vengeance a remake of the 1988 title Police Quest 2 - The Revenge

I hope that helps

I just figured out what you meant - Title Logo right?

If I'm right, that's at work, but I'll get it.

edit by darth - double post combined ;)

Broomie

Yeah I did mean the title. Thanks, nevertheless though.

Might I add, this looks excellent and cannot wait for the finished product. :)
Broomie
Infamous Quests
Kickstart Ventures
-------------------

What a loser.

Quote from: DCillusion on Fri 15/07/2005 07:50:38
Wow! - Thanks

I, honestly, didn't know so many would be interested in the project.  Converting from EGA to VGA isn't as much of a feat as CGA to VGA.  It's incredible to get so much feedback!

Thats because your bg quality is truly great. It would be cool to simulate VGA sprites but in a 3D model. I think that would be great because the bgs are very 3D.

jcsturgeon

I can't believe how awesome this game looks!

I have a couple comments/suggestions:

-Will Sonny be able to change clothes? Like when he goes to dinner with Marie?

-Will Kieth actually do anything?

-Will Mario be quite as much of a stereotype? lol

-Will the computer still be able to be used. It was quite fun to look at everyone's records.

DCillusion

Looking at the amount of time it's taking, & the incredible amount of time I've had to work on the project.  I can almost guarantee the game will be released in December!!  I'm finished with the sound resources, I should be done with the art resources by September, & this will leave 3 months to arrange & script it, (which I'm sure I can do).

I now have the opportunity to do this at work, & this will speed up production.

Questions - Answers

-I'm not sure if Sonny will change clothes, he's following a killer round-the-clock over a mere 2 days.  Although, slightly altering; like no jacket or different Jacket makes a lot of sense

-No, I think it would change the game if Kieth wasn't retarded

-I think Mario might be more of a stereotype than ever before!

-Of course you can use the computer! & I've, already, finished that part of the game.

jcsturgeon

"-No, I think it would change the game if Kieth wasn't retarded"

Haha, true enough.

More comments, sorry.

-Will we be able to go to Sonny's house? It's cool to see where a character lives, maybe he could start both days there.

-It looks like a gun locker there... before Sonny goes to Steelton what if he got a shotgun, I always thought it was funny that he just took a puny pistol to go after Baines, he should be better armed! (Even if Baines only has a silenced .32 Browning!!)

-I actually liked the plane hijacking scene, I know it's kind of goofy, but if you're taking out this scene will you be adding another action scene? Maybe something where you actually go to Colby's house? If you take out action will more action be added?

-If you're making the driving scenes like PQ4... will we lose the entertaining radio banter? I loved that part of the game.

Thanks again, and God bless you sir for remaking my favorite Sierra game!  :)

DCillusion

It's interesting.........we think alike  in many directions.  I've made a living space for sonny; I think it leads up to the house scenes in PQ3.

Sonny definitely needs more firepower.  At the very least, a bigger pistol & some body armour.  He's working with the Steelton Police; I don't know why they didn't suit him up past a radio.

The hijacking scene is too "touchy" these days.  It's funny, I am, in fact, adding scenes to include the Bomb-puzzle.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way to include the banter.  It's very funny, but in a very clunky location.

jcsturgeon

-Will there be more in Sonny's locker? His locker seems really bare in the game.

-It would be funny if you could open the lockers of other officers. I suppose that would take a lot more drawing though, especially if it was only for eater eggs, like opening the locker of K. Graham or L. Laffer (did I get that last name right?)

-Will you be releasing more screenshots as development continues?

-I know you haven't even done this game yet BUT... I always thought the Sonny Bonds saga "ended" strangely. Maybe if you could recycle many of the game's art it would be possible to make a Police Quest 3b?

Coming up with an origional storyline might be tricky, but it would be a lot of fun I think, he could make Lt. and maybe put a more satisfying ending on the Sonny Bonds police quest story.

Sorry for all the questions, lol, I can't wait for this game to come out!

Oh, has anyone ever done a Codename: Iceman remake, that game had awesome potential, but kind of fizzled.

I wish I knew how to use this software, but I suck at this kind of stuff, lol.

Darth Mandarb

jcsturgeon - your enthusiasm is great!  But if he keeps answering all these questions there'll be little point in playing the game ;)

I can tell you're psyched to play it but, for those of us who haven't played it in years, you're taking away some of the re-surprises!!

jcsturgeon

lol, you're right, you're right...

I'm just super psyched! Up until a couple days ago I didn't even know people remade games like this  :o

DCillusion

Darth, Thanx.....

I really needed to be moderated before I gave away the entire game.  I wasn't even thinking about it at the time.  I've been so busy. :)

jcsturgeon

Yes, I immagine all my questions are keeping you from actually making the game! lol

Well, I'm sure there will be plenty of surprises, I just can't wait! What a Christmas gift eh? (You said Dec right?) haha

jcsturgeon

Hey, this is more of a general question and hopefully won't spoil a surprise for anyone...

but will this game be remade to take place in present times, or will it still have a late 80's early 90's feel?

Thanks

calacver

i loved PQ2. Thanks too thoughtful people like you that remake all the classics.

Can't wait.

jcsturgeon

I think I'm gonna try to learn some of this AGS stuff, I'm not too good at programming and whatnot, but I know I could make up a pretty decent stroyline.

I think there's a lot of stuff to explore in the PQ universe.

-A game taking place when he's a rookie (70's?)

-A game taking place between PQ1 and PQ2 in which he earns a promotion (Between 87 and 88 according to PQ3 manual)

-A game taking place between PQ2 and PQ3 where he earns his promotion to Sergeant (between 88 and 91)

-A game taking place after PQ3 (and before PQ Swat 2 in which Sonny is an LAPD SWAT officer helping learn the ropes before bringing SWAT to Lytton  :o) in which Sonny earns a promotion to Lt.

-A game where Lt. Bonds could lead an investigation indirectly with a team of detectives

-A game where Bonds earns a promotion to Captain...

I mean, the possibilities are endless really, lol.

DCillusion

You're right, the time period won't spoil anything. :)

The game takes place in 1988, I want the remake to have the same feel as the original.  My hope is that people will play through the VGA trilogy & feel as if my game fits perfectly within the other two games.  The series will, finally, have a finished feel to it.

As far as other Police Quest games......this will be my swansong in the series.  I enjoyed them, but I don't live & breathe the games.  I already know what my next project will be.  I will remake an entirely different game to finalize another fine series in the Sierra library; completely seperate from Police Quest.

jcsturgeon

No hints on the next project? Hmmmmm

Like I said before I wish SOMEONE would try to remake Codename: Iceman, I think that game had a LOT of promise, but never became what it could have been.

The stupid game of boss dice, the clunky sub controls, the dead ends etc...

but I really liked the story, and it was a pretty good looking game.

There were supposed to be sequels and this was going to become a series but several factors conspired to kill the game...

Still I think the flaws were correctable.

Oh well, I'm almost sure this isn't what you have in mind, lol.

I'm trying to immagine what games by Sierra haven't been VGA'd or AGS'd yet... hmmmm

-----

Oh, btw, will you be making a website? Maybe an online instruction guide, modeled after the old school PQ2 manual with some fake newspaper articles like the PQ1 VGA game documentation would add to the feel of the game.

DizzyDancer

Speaking of Police Quest... I loved the first one! I've played it many times. I didn't even know there was more than one til recently. Does anyone know where I can download the original second one, or is it not available to download anywhere?
There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

jcsturgeon

Try this site.

http://www.btinternet.com/~whitty.barlick/whittyone/

Hopefully the downloads still work, the games are a lot of fun. They even include a helpful program called "Turbo" that will help you play Police Quest 3*.

*The driving in PQ3 is extremely fast and difficult. Turbo slows down your computer so you can drive at a much more manageable speed.

Darth Mandarb

No more chatter in here unless it's related to this game ...

Please take all off-topic discussions into PMs.

Flop

This sounds awsome. I'm a huge PQ fan, and it's always bothered me that they never made a VGA version of the second one. So thanks a lot, man. :)

Now, it sounds like everybody is really impressed by the screenshots. Unfortunately the link seems to have died. Could you please, please put them up again so that I can see them?

And just a friendly warning: although it may seem to you like you can easily finish it by december, I would still put a disclaimer on that if I were you. As far as I can tell a lot of good people have fallen into the trap of underestimating their own project. :D

And seeing as how the rest of my post was on topic I'll allow myself this: your next project wouldn't happen to be a Laura Bow one, would it?

*crosses fingers*

DCillusion

It's working now -  ;)

As far as the timeframe.  I live a pretty stable life.  I don't go to school; nor do I take an inordinant amount of vacation.  I have found plenty of time to work on the game, & once my daughter goes to school, I'll only have more time.  If it changes I'll tell everybody, but barring injury I don't see how the date will change.

Flop

Okay, I see them now, and I''m definitely impressed. I'm looking forward to playing the finished game, and I hope you'll keep us posted of your progress. :)

jcsturgeon

This is gonna be so sweet!

Can you make a production journal? lol, that would be soooooo awesome, haha.

Just FYI if you made some special features, or a special edition game like the maker of 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic I would TOTALLY paypal you 5 bucks, hahaha.

DCillusion

There will be a design journal when the backgrounds are finished.  I'm about 50% finished with background artwork, (officially).  I'm going to try to make the first edition as special as possible; so no SE is planned.

.....Please, no money!!
I own none of the copyrights to the game &, as such, can have no monetary gains to it.

But thank you very much for your support.  It's coming along brilliantly

HillBilly

This looks great! I've never played any of the original PQ games, but I'll without a doubt give this a try. The backgrounds reminds me of "Theme Hospital", for some reason.

DCillusion

Well, It's been a month since I've released anything.  I don't think it's fair for a developer to expect people to stay excited about a project without seeing any development for months at a time.

.....So, every month there will something new.  It could be a background, or character art, or music...or even a journal update - just to keep people excited.

Sonny Bonds

Absolutely stunning, Your art style has that Blue Force feel. Cant wait for this one to come out.

Joseph DiPerla

Hey DC, are you using some graphics at all from the original PQ3 and PQ1 remake?
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

DCillusion

Aside from some of the GUI work from those games, it's all original.  I am, however, attempting to capture the style of 1 & 3 to integrate this one seamlessly between the other two.

Joseph DiPerla

Ahh excellent. I had four suggestions and more might come in as well. Being that this is a remake of the game, I dont see any harm in adding some more plot/puzzle work and features from the original.

First suggestion- Have a driving map feature like in PQ1 and PQ3, I always thought that driving would be awesome, especially since PQ1 and PQ3 have it. But maybe make it optional. For instance, use a text parser and type" Manual drive" to drive it yourself, or "Drive to: " to go automatically. But if you want to make this game fit in more with the other VGA, I would have it be in the game.

Two--- Since ags supports multi player functions, allow us to also be Keith and wonder off and do some stuff with him. Maybe even positioning him in the right place to be able to catch a criminal or shoot at Bains like in the park.

Three-  Add a text Parser for extra added functions. Keep the original GUI, but if we needed to push or be more specific in a certain area, we could use the Text Parser. Let me give you an example:

Use talk Function on a character:
Hey Sonny, how are you.

Use it again:
Is there something I can do for you Sonny?

A Third time:
Leave me alone will ya!?!?

But if you type something like this in the parser: "Book the evidence." or "Ask for arrest Warrant", it would give a more productive response.

I think the Text Parser would allow for more details to be used such as how to handle evidence and to use the evidence Kit he carries around, etc...

Four-- In game parser jokes. I used to write some funny stuff like "Kiss Toilet", or "Slap Girl" and I would get some funny results. Try adding some of these in-game gags as well. Try using Sci Studio from Bripro.com to decompile the game and see the script so you can recreate it better.

Just some thoughts, I might have some more.

I also wanted to state an opinion about a few features you might not add to the game, such as the changing of clothes. Sonny does go home at a certain point in the game, so it would have to be done in there I would think.

And as far as the terrorist thing... Yeah, take it out. Maybe do something like at an airport bank where someone is holding the bank up or something... I dont know. But being in NY on 911, it would be a good idea to take it out.

But good work on the game! Keep it Up.
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

DCillusion

The only real additions I'm adding to the game are extended puzzles.  As there was no driving in Police Quest 2; so there won't be any in Police Quest 2.  I think of it like 1 & 3 had driving; 2 & 4 did not.

I don't think I could add a text parser.  VGA Police Quests didn't feature the parser.  I'm working on a strict schedule as it is, & so, unfortunately, I can't go crazy with the engine.

....Any suggestions are welcome.  Keep 'em coming.

Klytos

/// The hijacking scene is too "touchy" these days.  It's funny, I am, in fact, adding
/// scenes to include the Bomb-puzzle.

I don't think the hijacking scene would be too touchy. It's in the original, I don't get flashbacks of 9/11 when I play the game. Why change something that worked so well in the original game?

DCillusion

That part of the game hasn't been finalized yet.  I had always considered that after 9/11 most Americans would be uncomfortable with the scene.

If possible, could some of the people on these forums P.M. me a Yay or Nay to that puzzle.  It would give a better idea.

jcsturgeon

Breathtaking!

I dunno what state you live in, but...

Marry me?

Haha, just playing... I cannot wait to play this!!!

Pumaman

Quote from: DCillusion on Sat 10/09/2005 03:48:16
I had always considered that after 9/11 most Americans would be uncomfortable with the scene.

Aeroplane hijackings happen, I don't think anyone could object to a scene like that in a game. After all, it was in the original and similar scenes feature in loads of Hollywood movies. Besides, it's not like the plot in PQ2 involved them trying to crash the plane into a building, they just wanted to blow it up.

Along the same lines, are we supposed to ban any games involving a hurricane or a flood just because of what happened in New Orleans?

I wouldn't worry about it.

GarageGothic

While I agree that we shouldn't limit ourselves just because of some real life event, I do think that it would be a wise decision to cut that scene from PQ2. It didn't have anything to do with the plot, and actually seemed a bit out of place in the middle of the Bains investigation. Actually it was more dramatic than the final showdown!

Also it doesn't seem very realistic that you would be able to bring a gun aboard a plane just by flashing your badge these days.

I think you'd be better off if you turned the bomb puzzle into a trap set up by Bains (like the shotgun at the motel). Perhaps you arrive at Colby's house too late to save him, and Bains has rigged the entire house to blow.

Kweepa

Quote from: GarageGothic on Mon 12/09/2005 22:42:19
I do think that it would be a wise decision to cut that scene from PQ2.
Actually it was more dramatic than the final showdown!
Well that seals it for me. I say don't cut it.
I'd like to play PQ2, not some watered down remix.

Broomie

Look, the game was made in 1988. Years and YEARS before 9/11. It would be silly to remove that puzzle, plus it was one of my favourite scenes in the game. Not in a sick twisted way but it had alot of tension and plus killing the terrorists was my favourite.

Anyway, I say Yay put that scene in. Just because something serious happened in a similar incident in real life doesn't mean it should be removed. If someone played the original and got upset there is nothing you can do about it, you're just remaking it so leave that scene in it :).
Broomie
Infamous Quests
Kickstart Ventures
-------------------

GarageGothic

Listen, I couldn't give a shit about political correctness BUT the whole point is that the scene might detract from the game. Yes SteveMcCrea, it was more exciting than the final showdown, but that's a flaw of the original game's ending - not a praise of the hijacking scene. You're in the middle of a criminal investigation focusing on your arch nemesis Jessie Bains and his revenge scheme against those who witnessed against him - and as you casually take the plane to another city, you suddenly get involved in a hijacking? What kind of storytelling is this?
Imagine that you were watching Silence of the Lambs, and as Clarice walks down the street on her way to Buffalo Bill's house she passes a bank where five banrobbers are holding the customers and staff hostage, so let's put the entire serial killer story on hold while she takes care of the hostage situation in the bank? Jeez.

You'd be much better off fixing the ending of the original, giving Sonny more stuff to do in Steelton before going down the sewers (what's with arresting the punk in the park?). And the sewers themselves could be so much more exciting. Multiple encounters with Bains, traps, and for the love of god, a more interesting final puzzle than standing on the right spot. (Did we even get an explanation of why he was down there in the first place? Surely there must be better places to hide). The whole point of remaking a game should be to make it better - otherwise what would be the reason?

The fact that some people might be uncomfortable with the hijacking scene - not to mention fail to see the logic of being able to bring weapons and bombs aboard the plane - is just ANOTHER reason for avoiding this sequence. To me it felt like just a preview of Codename: Iceman, and I find Jim Walls' stereotypical representation of Arabs as terrorists to be even more disturbing than the actual hijacking itself. Add to it that killing the terrorists was a possible dead end if you hadn't adjusted your sights before leaving Lytton.

Kweepa

GG, I agree with you. I haven't played the original, so I don't really have a leg to stand on.
However, throwing away some people's favourite scene entirely seems like a waste.
Perhaps the hijacking scene could be moved to the start of the game (like in that Dirty Harry film - I forget which), or added as a deleted scene?

Blackthorne

Look, the scene is in the game.  The game was completed in 1988 - I don't think it detracts from the game at all.  Police Quests were more about ACTUAL police work, not some dramatized version of it - and real police work is not linear with a complete three act structure.  You can't say "Screw one event, I'm huntin' wabbits!" Criminals choose to do their crimes WHENEVER, and Police Officers have to respond in kind.

Bt

DCillusion

It looks like most people prefer the bomb puzzle; so I'm keeping it in.  Although I agree with Garage Gothic, (as it is ridiculous & completely detracts from the actual game at hand), & I believe he could've almost single-handedly convinced people to remove it.

It also appears as if I've misjudged people in believing the terrorist actions of present-day would have an impact on how they feel regarding the events in the game.

However, this is a nostalgia piece, & although my own idea is to capture the feeling I had playing Police Quest 3; most others would like to re-capture the feelings they had playing the original Police Quest 2.  It seems that without it; these feelings would be lost.

I'd be lying if I said I was only making this game for me.  It's impossible not to follow the majority of suggestions.

Flop

Well, I for one am glad that you're keeping it in. Although I do agree with GG that it's ridiculous when you think about it, it's still part of the original. Besides, as someone mentioned, the game takes place in the 80's and back then people actually managed to smuggle guns onto airplanes.

Also, the fact that Sonny just happens to be at the right place at the right time, is no more ridiculous than John McClane in the Die Hard movies. Oh wait, that's actually very ridiculous. :D

bspeers

Apparently, according to Nelson Mandela's (auto?)biography, when he was in the early stages of freedom fighting, he used to smuggle whole magazines of ammunition and guns under his clothing on planes flying in and out of Africa.

It was certainly doable.
I also really liked my old signature.

Klytos

I'm glad you're keeping it. Personally it was one of my favorite parts of the game, even though I completely agree that it had nothing to do with the plot and was out of place.

Sonny Bonds

I also happen to think the hijacking scene should stay. The sewer scenes however, are something I'd miss like a hole in the head. Surely you could change the setting for the final showdown. (like Bains in a barricaded house or something)

Just throwin suggestions out here, Maybe im the only one who disliked the sewer scenes. ;)

GarageGothic

Quote from: Sonny Bonds on Thu 15/09/2005 02:30:34
I also happen to think the hijacking scene should stay. The sewer scenes however, are something I'd miss like a hole in the head. Surely you could change the setting for the final showdown. (like Bains in a barricaded house or something)

Or accept the fact that the airplane scene was the dramatic high point of the game and let Bains be the hijacker! ;)

Blackthorne

Quote from: GarageGothic on Thu 15/09/2005 02:43:03
Quote from: Sonny Bonds on Thu 15/09/2005 02:30:34

Or accept the fact that the airplane scene was the dramatic high point of the game and let Bains be the hijacker! ;)

See, Police Quest isn't REALLY driven by Drama in the conventional narrative sense.  You're doing police work - which is random.  Though there is an overall story, there ARE other tasks to do - much like Police work.

Bt

GarageGothic

Should I really dignify this with an answer? Ok, first of all, notice the winking smiley - perhaps that means I'm not entirely serious about the suggestion?

Secondly, while the series as a whole is very episodic, PQ2 is driven entirely by the narrative of the Bains case. There are no random traffic stops or everyday drug busts (the only thing that comes close is the punk in the park). The subtitle of the game is The Vengeance, and that's exactly what it's about: Jesse Bains' revenge on those who testified against him. Everywhere you go in the game, you're following the trail of the Death Angel.

And no, shooting terrorists aboard airplanes isn't all in a days work for your average police officer.

Blackthorne

Quote from: GarageGothic on Thu 15/09/2005 16:16:27
Should I really dignify this with an answer? Ok, first of all, notice the winking smiley - perhaps that means I'm not entirely serious about the suggestion?

Secondly, while the series as a whole is very episodic, PQ2 is driven entirely by the narrative of the Bains case. There are no random traffic stops or everyday drug busts (the only thing that comes close is the punk in the park). The subtitle of the game is The Vengeance, and that's exactly what it's about: Jesse Bains' revenge on those who testified against him. Everywhere you go in the game, you're following the trail of the Death Angel.

And no, shooting terrorists aboard airplanes isn't all in a days work for your average police officer.

Sometimes a days work isn't typical.  Just ask any NYPD.

Strange things happen sometimes in the line of duty.  That's just the way it is.

Bt

dusty

Cool,
PQ2 remade! I was 13 when I stared to play it.... you know, I had to finish Larry 1 beore!!!

I'm really looking forward to "return 13yo !"

thanks,
dusty!

Darth Mandarb

This is getting rediculous ...

I swear; somebody is opening new accounts and digging up threads (that are just barely under a month old) simply to tease me.

Dusty - before you post in here again, read the forum rules.

Beach Bum112885

HEY I got an idea.  Let's ruin a bunch of good threads by acting like a drill sargeant and posting a bunch of rules.  You can't do this you can't do that blah blah blah . . . Maybe think about just letting people post and read as they like, instead of making the forums like a prison huh?  Oh well, I'll probably be banned for this, but at least I got to say it, because it's what a lot of people think.  Does it feel cool to have power and delete posts and post a bunch of rules in every thread?
RIP Officer Richard May (1967-2006) - 10 year veteran of the Lompoc Police Department, killed in the line of duty by a coward.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Beach Bum112885 on Thu 13/10/2005 19:06:10
HEY I got an idea.  Let's ruin a bunch of good threads by acting like a drill sargeant and posting a bunch of rules.  You can't do this you can't do that blah blah blah . . . Maybe think about just letting people post and read as they like, instead of making the forums like a prison huh?

Well since you have 5 posts, I will take your advice.  I think we should remove all the FORUM RULES.  I'll talk it over with the other moderators and get back to you ASAP!!

Quote from: Beach Bum112885 on Thu 13/10/2005 19:06:10Oh well, I'll probably be banned for this, but at least I got to say it, because it's what a lot of people think.

I'm glad you know what a lot of people think.  You should know, since you know so much about this community, that we don't ban folks around these parts.

Quote from: Beach Bum112885 on Thu 13/10/2005 19:06:10Does it feel cool to have power and delete posts and post a bunch of rules in every thread?

That's clever.  I, too, am a fan of reverse psychology.

Now that you've vented, and I truely do hope you feel better, here's the juice:

Do not post in any threads in here unless what you have to say involves the game of the thread you are posting in.  Any more off-topic (or complaining) posts will be deleted.

The rules exist for a reason.  If you don't like them, don't post here.

Thanks.

DCIllusion - Sorry your post got used for this riff-raff.

calacver

with respect for you darth, i do agree on some level too the beach bum :)

There aren't many forumns with someone as strict as you patrolling around the threads. You're scary man. Maybe you're taking the i'm-in-control-thing a bit too far. Relax. Chill. I think mostly people DO bump old threads mainly because you make such a big issue of it. You're a bit sarcastic.

But we love you darth :)

In any case, I just love these graphics of this game!

Mordalles

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: calacver on Thu 13/10/2005 21:39:14There aren't many forumns with someone as strict as you patrolling around the threads. You're scary man. Maybe you're taking the i'm-in-control-thing a bit too far. Relax. Chill.

And most of those forums (from what I've seen) are so filled with clutter and crap that you can't find the imformation you're looking for because of nonsense, off-topic, crap filling up the thread.

I don't see why I'm scary?  I don't take the "I'm in control" thing too far, nor do I see the need to chill and/or relax.  There are rules, I enforce them.  It's pretty simple really.

Quote from: calacver on Thu 13/10/2005 21:39:14I think mostly people DO bump old threads mainly because you make such a big issue of it. You're a bit sarcastic.

So it's okay to break the rules because the moderator is sarcastic?  I think not.

Guys ... any more questions/comments about Mr. Bum's post and/or about my moderation, direct them to me in a PM and stop killing DC's thread.

Thanks.

spigian

DCIllusion there has been a long time since you informed us about the progress of the game!Could you please tell us how it is going?Will you have finished it until December?Thanks for the effort that you do!

Nacho

PM him, it is ILLEGAL to revive old threads, read the FORUM RULES.

I think Darth needs help..  :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

DCillusion

It's has been awhile.

Well, I said barring injury.......

That's the worst thing you can say.  In semptember my daughter had a concusion.  We had to spend some time in the hospital.  During that time, our car broke down & I had to bus to work, (& later my daughter to school).  This put me about a month behind schedule.  I figured that if I just work faster maybe I could get close to the release date I had set.

However, about a 2 weeks into furious labor, my hard-drive completely crashed.  As I had only half the files backed up, I thought I was finished for awhile.  Fortunately, my job offers a lot a resources, & the techs at work have a machine that can extract data from a bad drive.  This is, by no means, a fast process, & the I won't get it for a few days.

By this point, there's no way I can hit the December date I set.  I will give an update as soon as I have it, & the game will be completed!  It won't take 3 years, (I'd be suprised if it took one year), but it will take a little longer than expected.

....Sorry...just a little longer.  It will be worth it!!

Joseph DiPerla

Hey DC, just want to say your doing a bang up job! I love what this game is becoming so far.

Dont worry about when its released. A good game always takes time to be released. In the end you will be more satisfied with it. Trust me.

Keep up the good work. If there is anything I can do, let me know. I dont mind even funding something if necessary. Of course I prolly couldnt give more than $10 but thats something.

Anyways, keep up the good worki and thanks for giving us something to hope for.

spigian

This is bad luck!Carry on, DCillusion!We are all waiting for this game!Thank you for your efforts!If you could,please keep us informed!

Ben Jordan Fan

spigian

DCIllusion did you manage to save the files?How is the development of the game going?

scourge

DCillusion

I saved everything....so it's fine.

Police Quest is back on track.  I'm just behind.  I've just finished all the background work for day one.  Which is, as some of you may remember, the lion's-share of the development.

.....it's in the home stretch, thanks for all the support.

spigian

This is excellent DCillusion!Great news!I am anxious about it!

Josh R

Awesome. Good to hear this is still going to happen. I will definitely be looking forward to it.

Swat_Pup

Hey really nice job on PQ2 remake.I have 2 questions for you first what paint program are you using to make those backrounds because i am also doing a 2d pq game in the future. and second are you going to incorporate the scuba diving sequence from the park in pq2 into your game, thanks!

ildu

Are you still gonna be using that sprite as your character? I just think that it doesn't fit at all. You've got 3d backgrounds, so why not make a 3d character and render the sprites. The model wouldn't need to be that good, and you'd save so much time animating.

Afflict

Quote from: DCillusion on Mon 08/08/2005 08:42:36
They're are, fully, 3D images rendered at ultra-high resolutions, (about 1600x1200).Ã,  Then put through 1 cell renderer & 1 sketch renderer.Ã,  The 2 pictures are combined & turned into a painted canvas using Paint Shop Pro.Ã,  The whole scene is then shrunk down to game resolution, & colours are reduced to give the entire picture a look.Ã, 

The process from design to render to filter takes about 5-6 hours, but I know plenty of people who spend much longer just drawing their artwork.Ã,  I love the old games, & nostalgia hits me pretty deep.Ã,  3D-art is where my skills lie, however, so I'm using filters to get as close to the old art as possible.

As far as "Over-the-Shoulder" , this is a remake.Ã,  I really can't, nor will I, break from the traditional Sierra mold this game was created with.Ã,  I want people to feel the way I did when I first ripped open Police Quest 3, & I don't think they will if I don't stay true to the style.

Two Things...
Read this Swat_pup its PSP

Ok next SWEET! Dude looks awesome I know if you put that much time into the graphics youl make the story really awesome, dont wander too far of the original! It was near perfect. What about the shoot out scenes

DCillusion

Swat_pup - Unless you like 3D, you're going to have to find your own style.  I can't really help with 2D from a tutorial perspective, but thanks for the 'props.  Of course I have the scuba scene.  It's one of the most important scenes in the game.

ildu -  I should take that as a compliment.  That is a 3D-rendered character.  Using 3D characters allows for very fast sprite turn-around, (since I'm the only one working on the game).  Don't worry, when the characters are in place, they will fit fine.

Afflict - I'm, actuallly, making more of a 1:1 remake than I was when I started, (a lot of comments here settled that).  I'm not removing anything anymore, but I am expanding a few scenes & adding one, (so far).  I'm hard at work on Day-2, but there's always room for improvements.  To, specifically, answer your question, all of the shoot-outs remain & are in place.

imspeshul

Quote from: DCillusion on Wed 10/08/2005 04:20:20
It's interesting.........we think alikeÃ,  in many directions.Ã,  I've made a living space for sonny; I think it leads up to the house scenes in PQ3.

Sonny definitely needs more firepower.Ã,  At the very least, a bigger pistol & some body armour.Ã,  He's working with the Steelton Police; I don't know why they didn't suit him up past a radio.

The hijacking scene is too "touchy" these days.Ã,  It's funny, I am, in fact, adding scenes to include the Bomb-puzzle.

Screw the controversy. I dont think 20/20 is going to hurt your sales. The hijacking kicked ass and youre going to edit it because of 9/11. Im sorry, but if you do that, thats the same as letting those terrorists win. Besides, it would be incredibly fun to pop a cap in two turbans in the game in glorious 16-bit. PLZ let that ride, it wouldnt be PQ2 without that scene. Besides, fans are going to be pissed as I will be if you mess around with the structure of the game.

But under the rare occasion that people actually DO care. That will be good, youll get more notoriety which will increase awareness of the remake, therefore getting more people to download. You gotta be more liberal in this day if youre ever going to succeed. Trust me, KEEP THE HIJACKING

DCillusion

Page 6 is starting is starting to look like Pages 2-4.

....Thanks for your concern, but I'm keeping the Hijacking scene.  This topic was covered a few months back.  I took a poll to see if it should stay or not; for awhile it was a concern.

imspeshul

Do you have a website up where I can track the progress?
PQ2 is the most underrated in the series and I sincerely hope you do not abandon this project.

DCillusion

The website will go public very soon.  Don't worry, I'd be pretty stupid to abandon a project of this magnitude 75% through it.  I don't think anyone should tackle a Sierra remake if there's any question whether or not they'll finish it.

Thanks for all your support!!

lerouxh

Hi..Ã,  I've been doing the "PQ2 remake" search in Google regularly for two years now, and finaly found this link!
PQ2 is my favourite of the series... keep up the good work man!!!
:)

scourge

looking good, keep up the excellent and inspirational work :)

spigian

DCillusion I am really glad about the progress of the game, even though you had that bad luck.75% is ready or I misunderstood something?Do you think you can still make it by Christmas?

Mugs

I've never played the original Police Quest before. Anyways, I can't wait to play your "PQ2 remake", the pics looks extremely good.Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Keep it up!Ã,  ;)
Cool stuff I found out: Men are four times more likely to be struck by lightning than women.  Wow, really? [dirty joke] Maybe this has to do with the fact that us men have "lightning rods"? [/dirty joke]

DCillusion

No, I don't see any way to make it by Christmas.

That is still my number 1 priority, but things aren't moving fast enough....sorry

spigian

DCillusion we are gratefull to you for doing this,do not apologize to us!We are lucky that  you do this!Thank you for all and I am looking forward for your news!!!

Swat_Pup

yeah major props to you dcillusion i am a huge fan of the series and give major kudos to you for undertaking this project. believe me when you finish the game we here in the forums will make sure it gets the respect it deserves, and the respect you deserve

DCillusion

Given the recent questions involving the game, I've updated the post to answer some of the inquiries that have come of late.

P.S......& a New Screenshot!!

There's been request as to the status of the game; so I've added a status report.  I didn't do anything revolutionary, but if someone wants to know how far along I am; this will keep them updated.

spigian

Nice screenshot DCillusion!!!This is going to be very good!Thank you for keeping us informed.Can I ask you something?Have you designed any character?I would really like to see a screenshot with a character inside on your next update!Keep up the excellent work!Q2 is near!!!

Shalkar

Man its been since November 23 of 2005 and still no replies/updates for this game. DCillusion: Are you sure you are still working on this project and the earliest release date is Quarter 2 of 2006?! I hope so. This is one of my favs.

Later man.

Darth Mandarb

** Sigh **

Why not send a PM to him (as the Forum Rules suggest) rather than bumping the thread?

DC - how about an update?  Now that this thread has been dug-up.

spigian

Thank you Darth Mandarb. DC now that we have the permission from our moderator please tell us your news. How is the game going?

Blackthorne

I've spoken with DC recently, and I can assure you that production on the game is still going forth!

Bt

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: spigian on Sat 21/01/2006 18:08:38Thank you Darth Mandarb. DC now that we have the permission from our moderator please tell us your news. How is the game going?

I think you missed the point of my message.  DC is the author of this thread ... he doesn't need permission to bump it.  You, however, should have sent him a PM rather than bring this thread back up.  Granted it didn't break the rules, but a PM would have been a better idea.

DC - good to know you're still working on it.  When you are ready to update this thread let me know and I'll unlock it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk